Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

If 1917 is showing in your area, I would recommend it.

Due to the "continuous shot" used, seeing it on a large screen adds to the immersion. The plot is simple and direct, two guys carrying an urgent message across No Man's Land, and characterization is also kept somewhat simple, we aren't told much about them, but listening to their conversations, one can gleam certain details. Which to my mind adds to the realism. They're close friends, they've served together for awhile, and the situation they're in isn't really conductive to extended swapping of life stories.

The scenery is both brutal and beautiful, sometimes at once, and one gets a clear sense of the devastation through seeing not only the churned earth between the the lines, but also through seeing the realatively unscathed lands behind the lines. There are corpses and a lot of them in certain parts, but they aren't gratutious and there is an overall sense of respect throughout the film. 

The costumes and props seem to be accurate, thought was given in showing the differences between British and German trench building, and the buildings, or what's left of them, appear to be accurate to what the French villages probably looked like. Not a historian, so I cannot claim to be 100% sure. But if you're looking for WW1 terrain references this movie would be useful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We finally watched Endgame last night.   We all liked it,  even hubby, who was not a fan of the previous. 

• Like 5

Went to see Underwater last night, and really enjoyed it. It was tense, gets right into the thick of it, and has some legitimate moments where I jumped or just got really tensed up. I didn't expect the movie to necessarily go where it went, and I really liked it. People are comparing it to Alien, and that's a relatively fair comparison. It's pretty solid, and I'm likely to pick it up on DVD/Blu-Ray when I get the chance...

• Like 4

So, Friday night is my night off from being a dad as my wife takes our baby over to her moms. My MiL texted me on Saturday to see Jumanji 2 with them because the wife wanted to stay home.

I thought it was better than the Reboot Original and Jack Black stole the show as well as Karen Gillian. Hard to upstage The Rock but they did. Obvious equal baiting but I am ok with it 

• Like 7

I took an evening away from family on Friday to go and see Gretel & Hansel. Very atmospheric, really interesting cinemetography. The camera is almost always a still image with the actor centered in the frame, which, I don't usually pay attention to how a movie is shot, but I was able to see this throughout the movie. It was bizarre, and haunting, and confusing. I'm not sure that there was really much there, there, but it really sticks with you, too. I can't really shake the overall feel of the movie. It was an enjoyable, tense, claustrophobic movie, and I am looking forward to more work from Sophia Lillis. She was terrific in IT Chapter One, adorable in the most recent Nancy Drew movie, and really intense in this. I hope to see a lot more of her in the future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, Citrine said:

Just watched Shazam, we had a good time.  I had the feels at the end, really liked the ending. 

Shazam was SOOO much better than the trailers were showing.

Somebody in Marketing REALLY dropped the ball.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:07 PM, Citrine said:

We finally watched Endgame last night.   We all liked it,  even hubby, who was not a fan of the previous. 

Is it wrong that my favorite was Professor Hulk?

The scene with the taco.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Is it wrong that my favorite was Professor Hulk?

The scene with the taco.

You're not the only one to like that scene, judging by the existence of this:

POP-Marvel-Avengers-Endgame-Hulk-with-Tacos.thumb.jpg.3e1c8a021fb3dcae04663505a5cfb5dd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The Color Out of Space is playing near me. Starring Nicholas Cage.

I... sort of want to see it... But... I'd have to roll for sanity loss...

Wait, I'm a rakshasa, I have a natural SAN score of N/A, what am I worried about?

Maybe next weekend...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

The Color Out of Space is playing near me. Starring Nicholas Cage.

I... sort of want to see it... But... I'd have to roll for sanity loss...

Wait, I'm a rakshasa, I have a natural SAN score of N/A, what am I worried about?

Maybe next weekend...

I caught it last week. Forgot I'd seen that.

It was pretty good. Relatively faithful to the overall conceit, though vastly accelerated in its timeline. Acting was overall good, except for a couple of parts where Nicholas Cage went all... Nicholas-Cage-y.

• Like 6

We're watched Attack the Block (2011),  about punk kids in London fighting aliens.  It was a fun time,  even if the first scene shows them rob a person, which makes you dislike the gang out of the gate. They redeem themselves later. 

Mr Boyega of Star Wars game is in it,  and he is really good as the gang leader. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Citrine said:

We're watched Attack the Block (2011),  about punk kids in London fighting aliens.  It was a fun time,  even if the first scene shows them rob a person, which makes you dislike the gang out of the gate. They redeem themselves later. 

Mr Boyega of Star Wars game is in it,  and he is really good as the gang leader. 

The monsters in that were really visually striking - big, black furred beasts with glowing teeth and no other identifying characteristics. I wasn't that engrossed in the movie as a whole, didn't really get what the fuss was about, but it was several years ago that I saw it, so it might be worth a re-watch.

• Like 5

On 1/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, Disciple of Sakura said:

Went to see Underwater last night, and really enjoyed it. It was tense, gets right into the thick of it, and has some legitimate moments where I jumped or just got really tensed up. I didn't expect the movie to necessarily go where it went, and I really liked it. People are comparing it to Alien, and that's a relatively fair comparison. It's pretty solid, and I'm likely to pick it up on DVD/Blu-Ray when I get the chance...

I really, really want to see that in the cinema but I'm not sure if I could handle the flashing lights. IT Chapter 2 and Dr Sleep (great films, BTW!) both gave me horrendous migraines afterwards. I think it's just the nature of horror films with all the jump cuts and light/dark changes. I can handle it at home on tv, but on the big screen it seems to fry my noggin something awful ::(:

On 2/3/2020 at 12:00 PM, Citrine said:

I tried so hard to like that film, but I disliked the gang soooo much! John Boyega is really good though, I don't think I've seen a bad performance from him yet.

The real question is, what the heck is Doctor Who doing in a London housing estate? ::o:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I really, really want to see that in the cinema but I'm not sure if I could handle the flashing lights. IT Chapter 2 and Dr Sleep (great films, BTW!) both gave me horrendous migraines afterwards. I think it's just the nature of horror films with all the jump cuts and light/dark changes. I can handle it at home on tv, but on the big screen it seems to fry my noggin something awful ::(:

I don't recall that many flashing lights, TBH, but I might just be remembering wrong.

Saw Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn last night. It was fine. Harley was okay. Huntress was pretty cool. Black Canary was alright. Villains were really solid. #NotMyCassandraCain and #NotMyReneeMontoya, though...

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Watched Alpha last night, we liked it a lot.  Very cool coming of age/ survival story, and the wolf is great. 

• Like 3

Just got back from the Color Out of Space.

That movie was MADE for Nicholas Cage. His brand of overacting in the face of insanity brought depth to that insanity and made it all the more believably horrifying. There was no point that really threw me out of the story. Part of that was the skill of the practical effects, part of that was limiting the CGI to those things that required an uncanny-valley sense of unreality. Part of it may have been the [redacted] :blues:

I hope this one makes enough money for the next one. The director wants to make The Dunwich Horror next.

• Like 8