Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

So, watched Birds of Prey tonight. Liked it a lot. Enjoyed Huntress and Black Canary well enough, but let’s be real, I went to see Harley. Margo Robbie absolutely embodies Harley Quinn and I loved her so much! 

Also, stay till the end of the credits :;):

• Like 7

I was bored the other day and watched 10 Minutes Gone on Prime.  Should have been called 90 Minutes Gone, because I'm never getting that 90 minutes back.  I figured it should be "ok" at least since it has Bruce Willis, but I don't know if he owed someone a favor, or had a gambling debt that needed paying or what, but man.....

It currently has a rating of 3.6 on IMDB, and honestly, I'm thinking that is at least 2 points too high.  There are good "bad" movies.  This is not one of those.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Watched a horror movie this morning (I'm trying to desensitise myself to the genre) called Paganini Horror, it was about an Italian rock band who awoke an ancient evil by playing a cursed song.

Like most low budget horror flicks, it was pretty lousy yet oddly watchable, the only thing that really stood out was it's rather strange choice in music to represent a piece written 200 years ago by a crazed, devil-worshipping violinist:- Twilight by ELO.

• Like 4

We watched Fast and Furious Eight and Hobbes and Shaw,  they were both ok.   I love action movies,  but I guess I like my action at least partially grounded in reality,  so this series is not really my thing. 

• Like 4

Last night we watched Klaus, the Netflix movie about the origin story of Santa.  Very pretty movie, that starts out quite scary, but turns into a very sweet and heart warming movie by the end.  Because of the scary parts, I will say it's not for really young children.  

It was fun hearing Samii in the movie.  Even though I am a quarter Samii, I don't speak the language,  but it sounded authentic to me.  And I looked up the actress of the little girl,  she is a Norwegian Samii child actress. 

• Like 7

My wife and kid are out of town this weekend, and I wasn't working on Saturday, so I decided to take advantage of my AMC A-List membership and go see three movies yesterday...

Fantasy Island was a perfectly serviceable fantasy/horror movie, but there were a few weird bits, including a bit of weird behavior on the part of a character to better setup a plot twist. It was fun, not terribly scary, a bit of a monkey's paw style concept. I'd give it a solid C or B...

Downhill was nothing like I expected it to be. It's a Will Farrell movie that was neither fun nor funny. It was okay-ish, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Parasite. Finally decided to go see it because everyone I heard discuss it said it was great, and then it won Best Picture, so why not. It was a very intense movie. Very good overall, but it was dark. I have so many questions after it's all over. There were moments where characters even raise questions, and they're never actually addressed. Overall, though, it was a very solid movie. Definitely better than Joker.

• Like 7

I just watched 2019’s ‘Polaroid’....

Fans of late 90’s/early 2000’s Dimension flicks will like it. Other than that, meh. 

‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ was a kid’s film first and foremost, but Carrey delivered.

’Outland’ (1981) is on the menu next.

Edited by Jellyranger69
  • Like 5

The hills are alive with The Sound of Music at my house this evening.

I am, accordingly, joyously weepy.

• Like 7

There is a movie (available to watch on Amazon Prime Video, among other things) called Velocipastor, about a priest who gets the ability to transform into a velociraptor who teams up with a hooker with a heart of gold to fight ninjas. It is gloriously terrible, hilariously bad, and I highly recommend watching it for anyone who might like intentionally bad, ridiculous movies.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Recently watched The Peacemaker on Netflix, a George Clooney action vehicle. Had all the expected George Clooney tics (though the preaching was a bit shorter than usual), and it was entirely predictable:

• Street chase? Check.
  • Bomb with a count-down timer? Check.
  • Self-satisfied smirking? Check.
  • Gratuitous murders xN? Check.
  • Car chase? Check.
  • Deep ignorance of how the military (any military) works? Check.
  • Russian gangsters and Muslim terrorists? Check.

Stupid, of course, but some of the action sequences were OK. Recommended only if you are really looking for an action movie and have watched nearly every other action movie available to you.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, Disciple of Sakura said:

Downhill was nothing like I expected it to be. It's a Will Farrell movie that was neither fun nor funny. It was okay-ish, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

There have apparently been four different movies titled Downhill, the first from 1927 and one titled The Downhill. And none of them should be confused with Downhill Racer (1969). :huh:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

There is a movie (available to watch on Amazon Prime Video, among other things) called Velocipastor, about a priest who gets the ability to transform into a velociraptor who teams up with a hooker with a heart of gold to fight ninjas. It is gloriously terrible, hilariously bad, and I highly recommend watching it for anyone who might like intentionally bad, ridiculous movies.

I keep looking at this one and...  hadn't pulled the trigger yet.  Now I may have to.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Hubby saw that the other day. I think it requires waiting till we have popcorn to eat while we watch it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

It's amazing, right up there with Shark Exorcist and Arachnoquake ::D:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Kuroneko said:

Arachnoquake

This... actually sounds terrifying to me. :;,;:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1