Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Wanted to watch something a little more light hearted than my normal masochistic, depressing choices and Police Academy popped up on Netflix. Loved this as a kid, not so crazy about it as an adult. It was ok but not hilarious. 

• Like 5

Watches the Water ship down series on Netflix

Considering the book is one of my favorites, the series was terrible. They made so many bad changes to the story =( I will stick to the 1978 cartoon if I want to watch anything related to the novel, not that Netflix nonsense. Ruined several of the characters and their arcs, all in the name of forcing in romance for the main characters

I feel like the book was fine without romance. The book even outright states rabbits are not romantic 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Finally watched the live action Aladdin. Enjoyable, but a side-step from the original. I would have liked it more if they added more to the story like they did with Cinderella. I actually think it would have been better without being a musical, excluding the parade. Will Smith was a pleasing Genie. Casting was good except for Jafar. Not sinister enough.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Watches the Water ship down series on Netflix

Considering the book is one of my favorites, the series was terrible. They made so many bad changes to the story =( I will stick to the 1978 cartoon if I want to watch anything related to the novel, not that Netflix nonsense. Ruined several of the characters and their arcs, all in the name of forcing in romance for the main characters

I feel like the book was fine without romance. The book even outright states rabbits are not romantic 

Glad to know I missed nothing by skipping that one (the really rubbish looking CGI animation put me off).

Tried watching something called Little Monsters last night.

Actually pretty annoyed by this one, the ads made it look like a low-budget horror comedy about a really cheerful elementary school teacher trying to protect her class when a zombie outbreak occurs during a school trip. Turned out she's not the main character, instead it's some pathetic manchild that barely features in the ads.

Once I realised it was going to be a while before I even saw a zombie, and even then there was little chance of seeing that particular character dying a gruesome death, I gave up. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

The book even outright states rabbits are not romantic 

Puts a spin on 'doing it like rabbits' that I hadn't considered.  I've always view this a quantity thing.  Now there a whole layer of quality to also factor in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Puts a spin on 'doing it like rabbits' that I hadn't considered.  I've always view this a quantity thing.  Now there a whole layer of quality to also factor in.

haha! well, i more meant the book states rabbits view breeding as just that. It's breeding. It's not something they think fancifully about

the netflix series decided to shift the entire core focus of the narrative around the lead character falling in love and going to any length to save his new paramour, who winds up in trouble as the love interest of the book's villain, who in the book was a terrifying and intelligent foe, now a shallow one just driven by wanting this love interest. One touching segment between lead character and his brother from the book is completely scrapped so that the love interest can be in the brother's place instead

just bothers me, i feel like they completely ripped the story and characters apart in order to further this new love interest's inclusion and importance in the story

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

Watched Onward last night on Disney Plus. Enjoyable. Solid Pixar effort, with some wonderful fantasy elements that we can all enjoy. And touching. 

Followed that up with Sister Act. Haven't seen it in... years? Many years. Still holds up. 

• Like 7

Ah, an opportunity to drop perhaps my spiciest but most inconsequential hot take:

60D9273F-6749-43DB-8C6E-547FF5C5025A.jpeg.a532d3f27d27c8bc568e2d3c32a7cafb.jpeg

My grandfather recorded the sequel on an HBO free weekend or something way, way back in the day and we must have watched that tape 50 times. Good memories.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Watched Birds of Prey and the first two episodes of Vagrant Queen on SyFy.

I liked Vagrant Queen more than Birds of Prey, but I liked it too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

Watched Birds of Prey and the first two episodes of Vagrant Queen on SyFy.

I liked Vagrant Queen more than Birds of Prey, but I liked it too.

Where did you stream BoP from?

• Like 1

Watched Onward...well most of it. It made me smile a lot with all the fantasy gaming tropes. I missed the end as I had a conference call to attend. 

Watched Jumanji 2. Not quite as good as the first one, but still a joy to watch. There seemed to be a lot more “adult” jokes in this one...and no those were not tears on my face for Danny Glovers character,!,! :down:

I am thinking we will watch Iron Will, cause if I have to watch another Odd Squad I will go nuts. 

• Like 5

Watched Jay and Silent Bob: Reboot last night.  It was a limited release a few months a go and I wasn't able to go either of the two nights it was in my area.  It was.....mediocre?  It has a couple points of good humor, one or two points of hilarity and the rest seemed to be reaching.  I've liked all of the rest of the View Askewaverse film but this one just seemed to fall flat.  Main reason someone should watch it is to see all of the call backs and references.  The Chris Hemsworth scenes were one of the funny bits.

Also watched 22 Bullets.  A movie about a retired mob boss who gets betrayed by his best friend and shot 22 times.  What follows is a tale of revenge and betrayal.  The film is in French and is subtitled, but that doesn't bother me at all.  Overall, it was enjoyable, but I personally felt that the pacing was a little slow.  Still, there are some good action scenes and Reno gives a great performance.

• Like 6

We watched the new Aladdin the other day. I can actually say I liked it better than the original, except for a few minor points. 1) I didn’t think Jasmine’s song fit. As in, the style of music was wrong for the rest of the songs. 2) the dude who played jafar wasn’t sinister enough (someone else here said that, don’t remember who). And 3) the biggest thing of all, I prefer how Robin Williams sang the songs more.  Will Smith did a great job, and his genie was fantastic, but the little girl in me can’t get past the fact that the way he sang the songs was wrong. It’s a silly little thing.

They also managed to make Abu slightly less obnoxious.

• Like 6

Watched Trolls 2 with the kids last night. We also watched Onward and the Last Jedi recently. 

• Like 4