Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Since we've currently got an excess of indoor time, we've been watching a lot more films. We make an evening of it and find a couple of old trailers to watch beforehand for the full cinema experience :lol:

Disney+ launched in the UK on the first day of Lockdown(nice timing, Disney!), so we decided that we should try and do something different from our usual random film selections. So we started watching all the theatrical Disney animated films in the order that they were released. It's been really fun and tonight's film was The Black Cauldron, which I don't actually remember seeing when I was a kid. I can kind of see why it wasn't well received, it's not exactly classic Disney fare. 

• Like 5

We have watched a few movies over this extended weekend.  Friday we watched Boondock Saints, about two Irish-American brothers in Boston killing mobsters,  really enjoyed it.  It is very violent thought, so it is not for everyone.   

Saturday we watched Zero Dark Thirty,  about the hunt for Bin Laden.   I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it was really long, but didn't seem like it. Again not a movie for everyone, since it depicts torture done by the CIA. I think that policy was a big mistake, but I am fine with the movie depicting it because it happened. 

Sunday we saw Three Kings, it was not as good as we hoped, the movie seemed very uneven. The acting was excellent, this was totally a directing choice. 

• Like 4

We've been doing our best to inflict the MCU on my 9-year-old in order, one movie every Saturday. He's flat out refused to watch either Thor movie so far, (no idea why, TBH) and it's a fight to get him to watch any of them, really. This Saturday will be my favorite, Winter Soldier, and I hope I don't have to fight him so much on this one. He liked Iron Man 3 alright, except for a couple of scenes he found too scary.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

We've been doing our best to inflict the MCU on my 9-year-old in order, one movie every Saturday. He's flat out refused to watch either Thor movie so far, (no idea why, TBH) and it's a fight to get him to watch any of them, really. This Saturday will be my favorite, Winter Soldier, and I hope I don't have to fight him so much on this one. He liked Iron Man 3 alright, except for a couple of scenes he found too scary.

But....but...Thor is the strongest Avenger ::o:

He also meets the criteria for being a bona fide Disney Princess :poke:

df6f506410634544d00211cc5f4522c7.thumb.jpg.269552341e90e1e5142bdc7ec17cfb7b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

6 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Why push him to watch them? Most people don’t end up liking things they’re forced to watch.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Why push him to watch them? Most people don’t end up liking things they’re forced to watch.

1) Because otherwise, all we'd watch are videos of people playing Minecraft

2) Because we want to share things we enjoy with our child

3) Because he actually likes them once he watches them. We had to fight him to get him into the theatre to see Spider-Man: Far From Home and by the end of it, he was raving about how it was his favorite movie.

4) Because he likes the Avengers characters, and always wants us to tell him what happens in the movies.

• Like 7

Watched 1917 yesterday. Very well done film about a british soldier in WW1. I didn't enjoy it as much as some I've seen but worth a watch if you're at all interested in WW1. Tonight I watched They Shall Never Grow Old Peter Jackson's recoloured documentary about WW1. Interesting in seeing how everything looked and listening to the short anecdotes from the soldiers. Need to make the boys watch these when Remembrance Day comes around.

• Like 7

Rewatched what is probably still my favorite MCU movie - Captain America: Winter Soldier. I still love how tightly setup that movie is, and well done, too. Thanks to all this COVID-19 stuff, I'm wishing I could watch some decent zombie movies, but my wife isn't a fan and I haven't had a chance to watch movies by myself lately.

• Like 7

Watched Snowpiercer earlier in the week. If you can suspend some logic it is an enjoyable although pretty violent film about a dystopian  future. The manipulations and struggles between different classes leads to thought provoking what ifs. 

Watched Blood Father with Mel Gibson last night. Not sure what to think about it. It was a bit of a bummer that the least likable characters  (Mel’s daughter in the movie and her evil ex-boyfriend)) are the ones that survived to the end. That and there wasn’t really anyone to root for in the movie. 

Watching the original Disney Jungle Book this morning. Baloo is still AWESOME!

• Like 6

So we watched Goodfellas, that famous Scorcese movie that is supposed to be so great.   It was Oscar worthy, and I don't mean that as a compliment.  I usually find Oscar movies are boring and/or pretentious. We were bored most of the movie,  we didn't like any of the characters.   I don't find entertainment in watching the life story of a bad guy, and none of the characters acted like a decent human being.   The acting was great, and the long sustained shots were amazing,  but that alone did not make us enjoy the experience.  I would prefer a trashy eighties action movie over this one any day.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Eh, yeah. If you don't like movies about disagreeable characters you probably should skip most anything Scorsese's done.

It'll probably come as no surprise that I love Goodfellas lol. Haven't seen it in a while. Might be a good time for a rewatch.

I generally love Scorsese. The Wolf of Wall Street I couldn't get through pretty much on account of the broccolitiness of the characters tho. Really felt like he overshot the mark on that one.

• Like 8

Watched Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark last night.

Not bad but the ending annoyed me a bit:- 

Spoiler

Where the movie just seems to forget Ramone and Stella are the only suspects in 3 disappearances, plus breaking out of jail leaving behind a dead sheriff, and returns everything to normal.

It's a fairly minor nitpick, but stuff like that seems to bother me more as I get older.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Watched Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark last night.

Not bad but the ending annoyed me a bit:- 

It's a fairly minor nitpick, but stuff like that seems to bother me more as I get older.

I hadn't thought about it, but that is a very valid criticism...

• Like 3

I started watching The Phantom Menace last night. I got through the pod race before calling it a night. I'll finish it up tonight. It's not good, but certainly not as bad as the reviews suggest. I think it suffered most from all the hype and (impossible?) expectations. 

• Like 8