Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Talae

8 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

This Maleficent movie I am watching is infuriating. It is the second one 

Let's abandon all logic, strategy and tactics for the good guys to let the plot happen

To be fair, the movie had established that the Fey were hopelessly naive and pretty stupid.

• Haha 1

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

So, last Friday we saw The Karate Kid (original) in theater. Since then I’ve been dying to see them honk those guys’ noses. So I watched The Karate Kid part 2 tonight. 

The nose honk was satisfying.

I always did like how they started #2 with a direct continuation of #1.

• Like 3

DH got us Stealth (2005).  The Navy has a new AI stealth plane to test. What could possibly go wrong?  It's stupid and bad, but boy did they have a pyrotechnics budget!  If you're short on entertainment and like watching stuff blow up, you might enjoy this movie. 

• Like 4

Since summer movie season has gone kaput, we've decided to rewatch the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe from the beginning. Yes, even including the three films we didn't like, mostly because we feel we should be optimistic and give them a second chance.

After much consideration regarding running order, we've decided to go with the order that we watched them in the cinema. The little shorts that originally appeared on the blurays will be fitted in as best as we can. 

First up was The Incredible Hulk. For some reason we saw this in the cinema before Iron Man, possibly due to the eccentricities of the UK cinema system. I really enjoyed this one and forgot how much I liked Edward Norton in the lead role, Mark Ruffalo is a great actor, but he's such a cuddly teddy bear of a man that I don't quite buy the "I'm always angry" reasoning.  My only complaint was the cgi in the final fight was a bit ropey, but overall it was a good film with some nice nods to the old tv series(including one awesome cameo!)

Next: Iron Man 

Edited by Kuroneko
Autocorrect is a harsh mistress
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Since summer movie season has gone kaput, we've decided to rewatch the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe from the beginning. Yes, even including the three films we didn't like, mostly because we feel we should be optimistic and give them a second chance.

After much consideration regarding running order, we've decided to go with the order that we watched them in the cinema. The little shorts that originally appeared on the blurays will be fitted in as best as we can. 

First up was The Incredible Hulk. For some reason we saw this in the cinema before Iron Man, possibly due to the eccentricities of the UK cinema system. I really enjoyed this one and forgot how much I liked Edward Norton in the lead role, Mark Ruffalo is a great actor, but he's such a cuddly teddy bear of a man that I don't quite buy the "I'm always angry" reasoning.  My only complaint was the cgi in the final fight was a bit ropey, but overall it was a good film with some nice nods to the old tv series(including one awesome cameo!)

Next: Iron Man 

See, now I'm wondering which MCU movies you don't like...

• Like 4

i didn't like:

- Captain America: Winter soldier (I dislike Bucky and the concept of him seemed a bit of a stretch for me)

- Captain America: Civil War (Ties into my dislike of Bucky and his character concept)

- Captain Marvel (just felt like 'woman strong, men bad, main character needs no flaws, needs no help, instantly likable by everyone despite no likable qualities' and a attempt to replace captain america as the first avenger and retroactively change the MCU. LIke, why have SHIELD with their nickname when SHIELD nickname wasn't concocted until 50 years later with Iron Man? Why did they come up with it in Iron Man if they were already calling themselves SHIELD in captain marvel's time? just dumb inconsistencies like that to try and boost captain marvel as the best super hero over better written, developed, and acted ones )

- All the Hulk movies (Hulk has never interested me as a character)

- Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3 (both movies were fairly bleh to me )

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

See, now I'm wondering which MCU movies you don't like...

I just realized that it's actually 4 films ::o:

I'm going to get slated for this, but they are

Iron Man 2

Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2

Spiderman Homecoming

Iron Man 2, mostly because it's just a terrible, mishmash of a film. I'm not looking forward to rewatching this.

Guardians-  you know how you dislike an annoying character so much that it poisons the rest of the film for you? That's how I feel about these films. I only got halfway through the second one before giving up. 

Spiderman Homecoming-  Seriously, he was Iron Spider for about 5 minutes in the comics, so I have no idea why they thought that it was a good idea to turn genius, self sufficient Peter Parker into a Tony Starks pet child soldier project. Possibly for the merchandising opportunities, I suppose. 

Spoiler for Endgame

Spoiler

I just knew Tonys days were numbered when he took the uncle role in Civil War. They may have skipped the origin story, but the mentor always has to die. The Hero's Journey demands it, after all.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

i didn't like:

- Captain America: Winter soldier (I dislike Bucky and the concept of him seemed a bit of a stretch for me)

- Captain America: Civil War (Ties into my dislike of Bucky and his character concept)

- Captain Marvel (just felt like 'woman strong, men bad, main character needs no flaws, needs no help, instantly likable by everyone despite no likable qualities' and a attempt to replace captain america as the first avenger and retroactively change the MCU. LIke, why have SHIELD with their nickname when SHIELD nickname wasn't concocted until 50 years later with Iron Man? Why did they come up with it in Iron Man if they were already calling themselves SHIELD in captain marvel's time? just dumb inconsistencies like that to try and boost captain marvel as the best super hero over better written, developed, and acted ones )

- All the Hulk movies (Hulk has never interested me as a character)

- Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3 (both movies were fairly bleh to me )

Interesting, because Winter Soldier is possibly my favorite MCU movie so far. 

As for SHIELD, they were SHIELD before Iron Man. The first Iron Man movie clearly had no idea what they were going to be doing, but there's plenty of other supporting story in the MCU than just Captain Marvel. The Agent Carter short establishes that she's a founder of SHIELD, and the flashback at the beginning of Ant-Man demonstrates that it's already SHIELD. So, either you can assume this is all a big ret-con, or you can head-canon that Agent Coulson was just screwing around in Iron Man.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Interesting, because Winter Soldier is possibly my favorite MCU movie so far. 

As for SHIELD, they were SHIELD before Iron Man. The first Iron Man movie clearly had no idea what they were going to be doing, but there's plenty of other supporting story in the MCU than just Captain Marvel. The Agent Carter short establishes that she's a founder of SHIELD, and the flashback at the beginning of Ant-Man demonstrates that it's already SHIELD. So, either you can assume this is all a big ret-con, or you can head-canon that Agent Coulson was just screwing around in Iron Man.

I see it as a big ret con =P just like,to me, captain America is the first avenger. Not captain marvel. His movie is even titled first avenger. They can't just turn around and say 'acrually marvel is, because we want her to be more special '

I dislike captain marvel in her movie. She is pushy, bland, not funny, and too flawless and powerful. There is no suspense or tension because she can single handedly defeat every threat that comes her way without breaking a sweat, and literally with her hands tied up. I found the movie tedious and boring, and as a result I see it as ret conning when th u screw up the established MCU lore

Maybe if the movie and character were better I could use head canon to explain the inconsistency stuff away, but I don't like the movie and don't care to try and fit it's forced changes to the other movies into the universe when the writers couldn't be bothered to do it themselves in a way that didn't conflict with the rest of the movies 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3

I've been pretty satisfied with all the Marvel movies so far (well the MCU ones, not the really old ones like Cap with the fake ears helmet...... or most of the X-movies). They've given me a few hours with my son in the theater. I just turn the brain off when it comes to movies anymore.

I hope to see Black Widow & the others in the local theater when we can. At least one good thing about being in small town, the theater here is never packed.

My wife was browsin Netflix the other day & really other then I pay for it (well it's part of my T-Mobile but yah I pay for it) I really don't watch Netflix. She found a movie called "Into the Tall Grass", so we watched that. Apparently it was an adaptation of Stephen King short story. Like most SK movies, it was ok. Nothing to write home about.

• Like 4