Jump to content

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

I've been pretty satisfied with all the Marvel movies so far (well the MCU ones, not the really old ones like Cap with the fake ears helmet...... or most of the X-movies). They've given me a few hours with my son in the theater. I just turn the brain off when it comes to movies anymore.

 

I hope to see Black Widow & the others in the local theater when we can. At least one good thing about being in small town, the theater here is never packed.

 

My wife was browsin Netflix the other day & really other then I pay for it (well it's part of my T-Mobile but yah I pay for it) I really don't watch Netflix. She found a movie called "Into the Tall Grass", so we watched that. Apparently it was an adaptation of Stephen King short story. Like most SK movies, it was ok. Nothing to write home about.

You reminded me of two movies I am gonna have to watch again with your tall grass reference, "The Ghost and the Darkness" and "The Wind and the Lion", thank you!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

You reminded me of two movies I am gonna have to watch again with your tall grass reference, "The Ghost and the Darkness" and "The Wind and the Lion", thank you!

 

Ohh ghost in the darkness. Such a interesting movie, such a interesting real life story behind it

Also I forgot spider man movies 

 

I am not a big spider man fan and haven't seen any of the MCU ones 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, haldir said:

I've been pretty satisfied with all the Marvel movies so far (well the MCU ones, not the really old ones like Cap with the fake ears helmet...... or most of the X-movies). They've given me a few hours with my son in the theater. I just turn the brain off when it comes to movies anymore.

 

I hope to see Black Widow & the others in the local theater when we can. At least one good thing about being in small town, the theater here is never packed.

 

I mostly love the MCU, I think it's fantastic how they get that Superheroes as a genre is inherently ridiculous. Also, movies are funnier than most so called comedies these days. The fact that they got the casting so spot on is really impressive. I mean, which mainstream movie goers had actually heard of Tom Hiddleston or Chris Hemsworth before Thor was released? Both actors had major career boosts due to the MCU.

 

17 hours ago, haldir said:

 

My wife was browsin Netflix the other day & really other then I pay for it (well it's part of my T-Mobile but yah I pay for it) I really don't watch Netflix. She found a movie called "Into the Tall Grass", so we watched that. Apparently it was an adaptation of Stephen King short story. Like most SK movies, it was ok. Nothing to write home about.

 

Yeah, most of  Steven Kings stuff really doesn't translate well into the screen. A Good Marrage was particularly suffered because the novella relied so much on being in the headspace of the protagonist. A lucky few get it spot on, with honourable mentions go to The Mist, Shawshank and The Green Mile, which were all directed by Frank Darabont. I also absolutely adored last year's Dr Sleep, especially since it had to be a sequel to the very different book and film versions of the Shining. 

 

Netflix also funded the adaptations of Kings 1922 and Geralds Game if you want to lose a few hours . They're not top tier adaptations, but not as bad as bottom tier stuff The Night Flyer. 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I mean, which mainstream movie goers had actually heard of Tom Hiddleston or Chris Hemsworth before Thor was released? Both actors had major career boosts due to the MCU.

 

To prove your point, I hadn't heard of either of them... I honestly thought Tom Hiddleston was a doppleganger of that American figure skater Johnny Weir (sorry, Tom!). And trivia fact, did you know Hemsworth almost didn't get Thor because he'd competed on Australia's version of Dancing with the Stars/Strictly Come Dancing?

 

Been in an '80s martial arts flick mood lately. So I loaded up "Big Trouble in Little China", and it never gets old. Last night I watched Berry Gordy's "The Last Dragon". It breaks my heart that the man who played Sho'nuff, the Shogun of Harlem, passed away (quite awhile ago). He was great in that, and alongside Bruce Campbell in the one-season show "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr."

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 3:49 PM, Corsair said:

You reminded me of two movies I am gonna have to watch again with your tall grass reference, "The Ghost and the Darkness" and "The Wind and the Lion", thank you!

 

Ahhh, hadn't seen The Wind and the Lion in ages so I had DH find us a copy.  Good movie. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, Sirithiliel said:

 

I see it as a big ret con =P just like,to me, captain America is the first avenger. Not captain marvel. His movie is even titled first avenger. They can't just turn around and say 'acrually marvel is, because we want her to be more special '

I mean, if we wanted to get pedantic, Thor is thousands of years old, so he's clearly the first Avenger...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I mean, if we wanted to get pedantic, Thor is thousands of years old, so he's clearly the first Avenger...

 

i'm not being pedantic. 

 

basically, and this goes for movies like Star wars too, i feel that if a movie has established something, and YOUR movie takes place in the same universe, you should respect what the other movies have done. You aren't making a stand alone movie. You are making a movie that is part of a greater story, and if you purposely implement plot holes and inconsistencies into your story because it makes your character better, at the detriment of what came before you, then that's bad writing, bad direction, and just bad taste over all

 

that's like saying someone makes a new movie in the lord of the rings franchise, and say 'ACTUALLY mr. bob here made the ONe Ring, and it wasn't destroyed in the lava, that was a fake. mr. Bob still has the one ring and he's going to rule the world. we better make a new team to stop him!' when it was already established that Sauron made the ring and that ring was the real one

 

captain marvel introduces several plot holes into the MCU, just like how the new sequel trilogy implements several plot holes into the star wars universe. which is why i have great distaste for both things, i really dislike it when writers / directors callously disregard anything of the established universe they are supposed to be contributing to, and instead just make their own movie. you aren't making a stand alone single piece, you are making a sequel to something that came before, or a part of a greater narrative. that should be respected

 

that's not being pedantic, that's being annoyed at people for failing to follow a simple concept...if you are writing a sequel, or something that fits into a bigger story, you should make attempts to not retroactively change or introduce plotholes to what comes before your movie

 

 

Spoiler

on a side note, it really really bothers me that the final 3 parts of the star wars trilogy, called the skywalker saga, have barely anything to do with a skywalker at all. The prequels were about anakin and his fall to the darkside as darth vader. the middle of the trilogy was about his son trying to redeem him and save the universe. The final sequel trilogy...is about someone not related to them. rehashing what happened in the original trilogy, re-defeating what they already defeated, and then adopting the skywalker name for no reason just becuase she wanted to. That doesn't make her a skywalker. I dunno, i legitimately HATE the sequel trilogy, becuase not only are they bad movies, but they purposely ruined everything that came before them in the previous movies so that their main character could be better than everyone else. No longer is Anakin the Chosen One, they said that's actually Rey now. Anakin's death meant nothing, because his redeeming act was killing palpatine, and palpatine survived. Not only that, Palpatine WON. he wont the movies. he's the ultimate victor. His ancestor survives to live on, and not only that, he said if she killed him, he would become her. For all we know, Rey is actually now that Palpatine, in disguise, waiting his moment again. Also why did Rey get BB8? that robot belongs to Poe, not you, you thief. ugh i just hate those movies so much, so stupid story writing and no character development. absolutely squandered opportunity and destroyed the franchise to boot 

 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're getting pedantic, does anyone else find Thor claiming his age to be over 1500 years old in Infinity War to not be plausible in the MCU? Given that the first Thor begins with the Frost Giants War in Tonsberg in 965 A.D., and Loki is found after that, and Odin is then recounting the tale of the Frost Giants to Thor and Loki as children... and given that Ragnarok establishes that he and Loki have been together since before they were seven (the whole snake story bit in the film)... it doesn't make sense. Unless he means in Asgardian years, not Earth years (yes, I can identify the loopholes writers will use).

 

Otherwise, he'd have been near 500 years old (Earth years), which probably meant he'd have been fighting in that war. So safe to assume he's closer to 1000 years old, at most. Way to screw up your own timeline, Marvel (like they did with the very beginning of Spider-Man Homecoming).

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

If we're getting pedantic, does anyone else find Thor claiming his age to be over 1500 years old in Infinity War to not be plausible in the MCU? Given that the first Thor begins with the Frost Giants War in Tonsberg in 965 A.D., and Loki is found after that, and Odin is then recounting the tale of the Frost Giants to Thor and Loki as children... and given that Ragnarok establishes that he and Loki have been together since before they were seven (the whole snake story bit in the film)... it doesn't make sense. Unless he means in Asgardian years, not Earth years (yes, I can identify the loopholes writers will use).

 

Otherwise, he'd have been near 500 years old (Earth years), which probably meant he'd have been fighting in that war. So safe to assume he's closer to 1000 years old, at most. Way to screw up your own timeline, Marvel (like they did with the very beginning of Spider-Man Homecoming).

 

i never saw spider man homecoming, i'm not a spider man fan. what'd they do in that one? i really feel like hte latest marvel movies really do drop the ball compared to earlier ones

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 6:01 AM, Kuroneko said:

Since summer movie season has gone kaput, we've decided to rewatch the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe from the beginning. Yes, even including the three films we didn't like, mostly because we feel we should be optimistic and give them a second chance.

 

After much consideration regarding running order, we've decided to go with the order that we watched them in the cinema. The little shorts that originally appeared on the blurays will be fitted in as best as we can. 

 

First up was The Incredible Hulk. For some reason we saw this in the cinema before Iron Man, possibly due to the eccentricities of the UK cinema system. I really enjoyed this one and forgot how much I liked Edward Norton in the lead role, Mark Ruffalo is a great actor, but he's such a cuddly teddy bear of a man that I don't quite buy the "I'm always angry" reasoning.  My only complaint was the cgi in the final fight was a bit ropey, but overall it was a good film with some nice nods to the old tv series(including one awesome cameo!)

 

Next: Iron Man 

 

 

I really enjoyed my rewatch, but it can be a slog after a while. Somewhere in the teens...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i never saw spider man homecoming, i'm not a spider man fan. what'd they do in that one? i really feel like hte latest marvel movies really do drop the ball compared to earlier ones

 

So the MCU is pretty consistent in it's timeline continuity. All the movies/TV series acknowledge that the Battle of New York from the Avengers occurred in 2012. And they regularly acknowledge throughout the series what year it is in subsequent movies.

 

Spider-man Homecoming opens in the aftermath of that battle, with cleanup and salvage crews. After a few minutes of story, it fades to black and then states "eight years later" which would set Homecoming events in 2020, which is a huge mistake on whoever wrote it. Because the majority of Homecoming takes place a few weeks/months after Civil War, which was set in 2016. So huge continuity mistake that nerds like me scream bloody murder over.

 

To their credit, the directors of Infinity War said the "eight years later" was "very incorrect" and they ignored it in Infinity War.

 

As for Homecoming, I'm not a big Spider-man fan either, but I don't hate him. Homecoming had it's moments, but I found it to be pretty underwhelming. Just a lot of things didn't line up for me. It's always worth watching just to see where the Stan Lee cameo is though.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

 

i'm not being pedantic. 

My apologies. I wasn't trying to say that you specifically were being pedantic, at least not in a negative way. But, if we're arguing over who was the "first" Avenger, Thor is clearly the oldest and therefore first, no matter what the subtitle of the movies may say. That's not a violation, because Captain America is still the first "Avenger," even if he wasn't ever called an Avenger during WWII. Captain Marveestablishes that the Avengers initiative was named after her, but that doesn't make her the "first" Avenger. Heck, even if we're going with who was an "Avenger" first, Captain America was born and a super decades earlier, so CM still doesn't invalidate that. They never call her the "first Avenger" in the movie. Overall, while you may have other, justifiable complaints with CM, I don't understand why this one is such a big deal.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 6:01 AM, Kuroneko said:

Since summer movie season has gone kaput, we've decided to rewatch the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe from the beginning.

 

The big question is, are you willing to take the ULTIMATE Marvel challenge, and rewatch the entire MCU, Netflix Marvel Shows, Agents of Shield, AND Agent Carter, putting each piece in chronological order? It's overwhelming, seriously almost like looking into the Ark of the Covenant: begins with you saying "it's beautiful!" and ends with your face melting...

 

On 7/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, Kuroneko said:

I'm going to get slated for this, but they are

 

Iron Man 2

Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2

Spiderman Homecoming

 

I find it's best to look at the positive things with certain movies when rewatching them:

 

- Iron Man 2: um, the best I got is Scarlett Johansson in a black leather bodysuit... not sure if that's enough for you, but it works for me. Sam Rockwell maybe?

- Guardians of the Galaxy 1: Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon... found him fantastic. Plus the music is amazing.

- Guardians 2: again, more Rocket, but really it's Yondu's story that steals the show for me. And the music.

- Spiderman Homecoming: um... Marisa Tomei as Aunt May? Finally, due credit to a younger generation of single working aunts raising children.

 

And @Sirithiliel, one watches Iron Man 3 for Sir Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery... the rest is insignificant.::D:

 

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

 

The big question is, are you willing to take the ULTIMATE Marvel challenge, and rewatch the entire MCU, Netflix Marvel Shows, Agents of Shield, AND Agent Carter, putting each piece in chronological order? It's overwhelming, seriously almost like looking into the Ark of the Covenant: begins with you saying "it's beautiful!" and ends with your face melting...

 

 

I find it's best to look at the positive things with certain movies when rewatching them:

 

- Iron Man 2: um, the best I got is Scarlett Johansson in a black leather bodysuit... not sure if that's enough for you, but it works for me. Sam Rockwell maybe?

- Guardians of the Galaxy 1: Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon... found him fantastic. Plus the music is amazing.

- Guardians 2: again, more Rockett, but really it's Yondu's story that steals the show for me. And the music.

- Spiderman Homecoming: um... Marisa Tomei as Aunt May? Finally, due credit to a younger generation of single working aunts raising children.

 

And @Sirithiliel, one watches Iron Man 3 for Sir Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery... the rest is insignificant.::D:

 

iron Man 2 - Justin Hammer is amazing, and Black Widow's big fight sequence in the facility is awesome. The way she disarms a guard of pepper spray and proceeds to use it against the last guard without batting an eye is one of the best choreographed fight sequences for me.

Guardians 1 - Groot, Rocket, Star Lord, the comedy, the extreme change in scene from the prior movies, the music...

Guardians 2 - Yondu's story, Mantis and Drax's interactions

Spider-Man Homecoming - Just an endearing Peter Parker rendition from a legitimately young actor, Vulture is a legitimately cool/threatening character who's honestly very compelling.

Iron Man 3 - the commentary on the War on Terror embodied in the Mandarin fake-out is really on the nose.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...