Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Watched Island Zero last night.

Considering it was an extremely low budget horror flick about an island of Maine fishermen being attacked by invisible killer Octopi, it wasn't too bad.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a little behind on releases….watched “The Greatest Show On Earth” 😀 My son was pestering us to watch a family movie and I was tired of cartoons. I didn’t realize how long it was, but the 8 year old watched the whole thing. As I was making eggs and bacons for the kids , I was thinking that that Buttons the clown sure sounds like Jimmy Stewart. Lol.

• Like 2

So uh, watched all three Mobile Suit Gundams....  That was... Uh...  Interesting to say the least.  Worth the time, but at the same time there's soooo much going on with so little explanation (almost like it was a 50 episode anime, chopped down into three 2 hour 20 minute movies...:devil:)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

So uh, watched all three Mobile Suit Gundams....  That was... Uh...  Interesting to say the least.  Worth the time, but at the same time there's soooo much going on with so little explanation (almost like it was a 50 episode anime, chopped down into three 2 hour 20 minute movies...:devil:)

Are you talking about the original Gundam series?

I happened to have watched the series prior to the movies, and the movies added nothing to the experience. Well maybe avoiding that weird opening credits song ear worm.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Are you talking about the original Gundam series?

I happened to have watched the series prior to the movies, and the movies added nothing to the experience. Well maybe avoiding that weird opening credits song ear worm.

Pretty much, yup.  The three movies made from the series are what I just recently finished. 

• Like 2

Saw The Suicide Squad with friends as a "go do real people things" activity. That was phenomenally stupid but in a "it should be stupid" way. I very much appreciated the rats and the shark.

• Like 4

7A049FC6-14D5-4A03-96F6-FCEA71256ECE.thumb.jpeg.e0a4f2fe71009ba166fd98ffa71bcdb0.jpeg

Started to put this in the other thread but guess it belongs here: It was Rebuild of Evangelion day at my house. Rewatched the first 3 and capped it off with the latest and last. Not as taxing as LotREE day, but perhaps more tiresome. I'm glad it's over. I guess I'm old and boring and just not the target audience anymore; or maybe Anno, like Lucas before him, just shouldn't have been allowed to keep messing with his own creation. I dunno. The closing volume hearkens back to the series in ways I appreciated, but it all still seems pretty unnecessary at about every level.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 5
18 hours ago, Marvin said:

7A049FC6-14D5-4A03-96F6-FCEA71256ECE.thumb.jpeg.e0a4f2fe71009ba166fd98ffa71bcdb0.jpeg

Started to put this in the other thread but guess it belongs here: It was Rebuild of Evangelion day at my house. Rewatched the first 3 and capped it off with the latest and last. Not as taxing as LotREE day, but perhaps more tiresome. I'm glad it's over. I guess I'm old and boring and just not the target audience anymore; or maybe Anno, like Lucas before him, just shouldn't have been allowed to keep messing with his own creation. I dunno. The closing volume harkens back to the series in ways I appreciated, but it all still seems pretty unnecessary at about every level.

I only made it to half way through 2.22 so far (after finishing the original and watching the End of Evangelion. ) I'll get through the rest by the end of vacation.

• Like 3

Hubby and I went on a date today, lunch and a movie. We saw Free Guy, Ryan Reynolds’ new flick. It was pretty fun. There were a lot of little Easter eggs for nerds of all sorts, and some fun cameos.

I tell you what though, Channing Tatum can be super creepy!

• Like 4
On 8/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, Marvin said:

Started to put this in the other thread but guess it belongs here: It was Rebuild of Evangelion day at my house. Rewatched the first 3 and capped it off with the latest and last. Not as taxing as LotREE day, but perhaps more tiresome. I'm glad it's over. I guess I'm old and boring and just not the target audience anymore; or maybe Anno, like Lucas before him, just shouldn't have been allowed to keep messing with his own creation. I dunno. The closing volume hearkens back to the series in ways I appreciated, but it all still seems pretty unnecessary at about every level.

I feel like this is what End of Eva was trying to express, it was put as if Anno was expressing his mental clarity, it left me emotional knowing this is the last Eva media… I loved Evangelion my whole life and this was amazing. Characters felt truly refined in a way, it’s like all of these years Hideako Anno finally found himself. And I also felt happy after this movie. After 4.0 Eva has taken back my #1 spot for fav media.

• Like 1

I watched Gunpowder Milkshake on Netflix over the course of a few nights. I find it difficult to describe. Light on plot? Yes. Was it very John Wick with a blend of other movies (Polar, The Professional, and others I'm forgetting)? Totally. Was I entertained? Yeah, yeah I was.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I watched Gunpowder Milkshake on Netflix over the course of a few nights. I find it difficult to describe. Light on plot? Yes. Was it very John Wick with a blend of other movies (Polar, The Professional, and others I'm forgetting)? Totally. Was I entertained? Yeah, yeah I was.

I watched that on a lark one night when I was too tired to find something I knew I wanted to watch. I found myself pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I watched that on a lark one night when I was too tired to find something I knew I wanted to watch. I found myself pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was. 

I have no regrets on the time spent watching it. I generally enjoy things with Karen Gillan in it (my favorite modern Doctor Who companion). Though  sometimes you can hear her sound very much like Nebula from the Marvel movies, I think she was trying hard to fight her Scottish accent at times.

• Like 3

Missed that Eva 3.0+1.0 was being discussed over here and posted in the other thread.  I posted a longer comment but I'll summarize here, I feel like Rebuild 4 mainly works BECAUSE of End of Evangelion.  It's enjoyable without, but for someone who deep dived into the originals it's a lot more.

There's a lot of 'it's all happening again' beats throughout the second and 'it's different this time' notes on the last one that are subtle but very well placed.

Is it perfect? no far from it.  there's a lot of missed opportunities too.  But I felt it was a very nice 'conclusion' to the series.

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to Dune. I am incredibly in love with the series of books and for me the news about the adaptation was one of the most joyful in the past year. It's a shame that you had to wait so long to see this film. Once I went to the page https://blablawriting.net/essay-examples/film-analysis where I often read information about the analysis of films and read that the film will be released soon and it promises to be incredibly cool.

Edited by Alejandro Morris
  • Like 4