Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Talae

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we're not supposed to talk about politics here but maybe I can get away with this. We're having another federal election tomorrow. My 14 year old son started asking some questions about it. I said I know of a good "documentary" film about politics. It's about Washington but I feel it fits just about anywhere. So we're watching The Distinguished Gentleman now. 30 years later and a different country but so much still fits. Even the name recognition scam.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/23/2021 at 10:06 PM, Brother Jim said:

I watched 3 movies today, all borrowed from the Library.

The Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf. I haven't watched this since it first became available on VHS decades ago. I don't think I'll ever watch it again and I do not remember it having the subtitle back then.

Blood Moon. A werewolf movie set during the wild west era. I enjoyed it and may re-watch it, especially if they make a sequel or prequel as they discussed in the special features.

Robot Jox. Another one I haven't seen since those long ago VHS days. I don't think I'll watch it for another 30 or 40 years, but I might re-watch it then.

Impeccable taste sir!! Yes don't recall that subtitle for Howling 2 . Robot Jox I saw in the theatre many moons ago, remember reading Starlog with its coverage & waiting very patiently for its release, rather lack lustre but has since grown on me quite a bit. If you've not seen Crash & Burn or Robot Wars I won't recommend them but I quite enjoyed them   

We watched the new Dune.  I have a lot of comments but for now I'll just say it was pretty, and mostly well done. 

Spoiler

It really bugs me that they have a high civilization with deep space travel capabilities and still do ground assaults with flash-bangs and bladed weapons like 19th or 20th century combat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just finished reading Dune since I hadn't previously. Impression: Great concept and outline, very unique universe, not a great storyteller. Clunky. Incomplete visual descriptions. Worth reading but not thoroughly enjoyable or engrossing in the process, just mildly so.

Saw Dune movie last night. Very true to book, omitting only a plot point that really didn't contribute to the overall story. One character could have had a few more scenes to boost their characteryness, but that character was still solid. Mostly good costuming with a few WTF moments. Filled in the parts of the book I felt were annoyingly missing due to lack of description (perhaps they are better described in later books) - they set the scenes better than the book did. But that was weird because my impression was of a world/universe/army/city/building size like..... 1% the size of the movie's. I don't think I was *wrong* in reading like that, but neither was the movie - the book just didn't describe scale well enough in the first book!! Smoothed out some character attitudes that were clunkily described in book but very well acted.

So in that: the movie was more enjoyable than the book, but in the sense of it had a solid framework to build upon.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Just finished reading Dune since I hadn't previously. Impression: Great concept and outline, very unique universe, not a great storyteller. Clunky. Incomplete visual descriptions. Worth reading but not thoroughly enjoyable or engrossing in the process, just mildly so.

I agree 100% with this assessment. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I agree 100% with this assessment. 

Some authors are story or concept or world creators, and some authors are storytellers. He was a concept creator, and very good at that. Totally okay for authors to have different strengths. I didn't dislike reading the book - just... it was a bit of a slog. The universe clearly has a LOT to it, but the clunkiness on the storytelling also prevented me from getting a scope of the universe as well as it could have been. But with the concept, others have now done very well with it.

• Like 4

We watched Raya and the Last Dragon.  It's a Disney animated story about a princess who goes on a quest to find the last dragon and save her kingdom.  I found the movie reminiscent of The Last Unicorn.  The film is beautifully made and the original soundtrack pairs well with it.  I thought parts of it were a bit heavy handed with the "let's all get along together" mesage but it's aimed at a young audience which sometimes needs more direct lessons.  Despite that it's a fun adventure if you're looking for some light entertainment.  A couple of scenes will bring tears to your eyes, so have tissues ready. 

• Like 6

And tonight we watched Infinite, about a bunch of immortals fighting over a device that can destroy the world.  It's kind of like Highlander, without gorgeous scenery, Sean Connery or a Queen soundtrack, but it has fast cars and lots of explosions.   Lots of action violence and some blood.  Bring popcorn and a willing suspension of disbelief.  

• Like 6

Watched Injustice (The latest DC Animated Universe movie) last night.

Wasn't too sure about it going in, as I'm not a big fan of the source material (it doesn't do an adequate job of explaining why the Justice League goes evil IMO), but the film does a good job side-stepping all that by simply taking most of the heroes off the board.

It has a few pacing issues and things get wrapped up too easily, but that's pretty common with these films due to their relatively short runtimes, so while not one of the better films in the series, it is better than I thought it would be.

Honestly my biggest complaint is, after pre-ordering this one kinda late so I didn't end up with a Steelbook version like last time, that they've apparently given up doing the connected spine art they had going on the first few films anyways :down:  

• Like 5

I had a mini Scooby Doo marathon last weekend: Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, Scooby- Doo and the Witch's Ghost, Scooby-Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost, and KISS Meets Scooby-Doo; A Rock n Roll Mystery. Those are all the ones I currently own. I am totally an adult. :ph34r:

I think for Halloween night, I'm going marathon the Resident Evil movies. I might need to buy more alcohol for that... :zombie:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4