Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

I just don't find Craig as charming or witty as I think of Bond being. When he's supposed to woo and charm the ladies, there just doesn't feel like there is any life to it, and his wit with enemies and allies alike just seems lacking for James Bond. At least to me.

• Like 3

I 100% did like the fact that Craig seemed like a Bond that'd f*#&ing kill you. My beef with Brosnan was largely that he seemed like such a pansy, comparatively. I won't write him off, yet; hopefully they breathe a measure of silliness into any future Craig films. I think he can handle it if they just give it to him. We'll see. Hopefully.

Meanwhile, I just watched Zero Charisma. I noticed this movies been banged a bit 'round here, but I found it fairly hilarious. Largely because I know that guy. And I know that other guy. I know all these guys. Right down the tools people at the hipster party (my PF group, a little bit, lol). And I see a little of me in all these people. Even, or maybe especially, in the protagonist. I've seen these situations (and worse!) in groups--the drama and nonsense and silliness and even the very-much seriousness. I'd have a hard time not relating to this movie, honestly.  Even all the metal music--those scenes had a fair amount of overlap, back in my teenage days of RP'ing.

I understand people's being irritated by something that casts things they like in a negative light. It happens for me, on a regular basis, with things far more meaningful than the nerd~lyfe. So maybe I'm desensitized and less prone to taking offense; I don't know. This movie goes well past the stereotype, though. There's a lot of funny, a lot of pointing and laughing at the nerd, and If you don't like that you don't like that. 'S'cool! If we can't laugh at ourselves, though . . . .

At its heart this movie talks to us about being human, which is what makes for a good story, for my dollar. I really liked seeing this treatment given to the nerdistry. I thought for all its harshness with the protagonist it loved him all the same. I haven't decided if the ending was a cop-out or not. He made progress, but . . . . It weirdly reminded me of the ending to Jesus' Son. The story "Beverly Home." Which was kind of nice. Don't know how many Denis Johnson fans overlap with the D&D crowd, but still.

Also, I like the minis, lol. Anyone know what they could be? Also saw some white-capped paint bottles in his bedroom that I so badly want to believe were Reaper paints . . . .

I don't mind us laughing at ourselves, but I hate when other people laugh at us. It's one of the reasons I hate "Big Bang Theory" for the nerdface minstrel show it is.

• Like 2

I dislike BBT because it's just, like, never funny. That laugh track makes me want to smash my own skull in with the heftiest object nearest to hand.

The wife likes it, though, so I've by association seen a fair amount of it. I even buy those silly, ugly stress dolls of the characters. She still needs the Jewish and Indian guys whose names I cannot remember. x_x

• Like 1

My BIL, a sweet guy and a top rated physics professor, adores "Big Bsng Theory." I haven't the heart to tell him how much I loathe it.

• Like 1

Just watched:

Dr+No+poster.jpg

Now watching:

from-russia-with-love-poster-3-660x502.j

Both fine movies. From Russia With Love is probably my favorite of the series. People often credit Goldfinger as the first great Bond movie; I've never understood overlooking this one.

• Like 2

@Marvin - I think it's because Goldfinger has all the iconic, endlessly parodied stuff so it sticks in peoples minds more. I too think From Russia with Love is the better film (although they're both good).

• Like 1

BBT is pretty standard sitcom fare, with some nerd/geek culture references thrown in. I really don't understand why people find it offensive.

As an engineer, I find it hilarious. As a nerd I still find it hilarious. It's the only sitcom I can watch and not even hear the laugh track.

• Like 2

I don't find it particularly offensive, but I definitely see the "nerdface" qualities Pingo mentions. There are a lot of jokes that smack of "its ok that we're being rather cruel right now, because it's a joke, you see?"

A lot of nerds and geeks are still so excited that someone is paying attention or taking an interest, they don't notice they're being made fun of. It is in many ways reminiscent of the worst kinds of minstrelsy, exaggerating a specific, marginal demographic's "quaint idiosyncrasies" for the entertainment of the masses.

BBT, as I said, doesn't usually offend me, but it does skirt the line frequently. I recently saw the episode in which the girls try to read comic books, and I wanted to throw things several times. I do, in fact, sometimes engage in "could Superman lift Mjolnir" discussions...but I'd appreciate it if the popular window into geek culture mentioned things like Saga, or Fables, or Bone instead.

• Like 1

I don't into TV.  Even when I tried.  I got that fibre op stuff, watched some TV for a couple of weeks, then a power spike knackered the receiver. 

I took that as a sign. A literal, if rather small, lightning bolt.

But anyway, I'm of the opinion that, as a rule, people should laugh at me if they feel like it.  I mean... odds are good I'm laughing at them for some reason, so it seems only fair.  In any case, humour like that can only engage a person on a shallow level, so unless a person's entire identity is invested in "being nerd" or whatever, then any offense can only have shallow impact.  I'm more than the sum of my interests, so if somebody makes fun of certain aspects of them it doesn't bother me.  Whether that's "nerdface" or "y u like sportsball"?  I'm just not invested enough in Raptors, NASCAR, or wookies to get bent out of shape about it. 

On-topic:  I watched The Interview.  It was very terrible.  A lot of people claimed the whole thing was a marketing scheme, and I thought they were being tinfoil-hats, but having watched (most) of it, now I'm not so sure.  I couldn't make it all the way to the end.  It was pretty wretched. 

• Like 1