Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Sure, like I said, it's not a big fuss to me personally. Where it sticks in my craw is when there's a reinforced ignorance of the depth of things I think deserve a better rep. Comics are an easy example: People often think of puerile steroid fantasies when comic books are mentioned, and mass media does very little to change that, because that's the easily entertaining option...and it makes me sad because there are some very different options, ranging from classic fairytales to powerful social commentary and some incredibly effective documentaries. And even the steroid fantasies can have some pretty spectacular storytelling, but you rarely hear about more than the muscles, boobs and beat-em-ups.

Board games get a similar treatment. Of course, so do sports. So I don't let it get me too down, but I'm certainly aware of my thoughts on the matter.

I've heard the same things about the Interview...I don't know that the whole cancel/not cancel fiasco was a very effective cash grab, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

I don't find it particularly offensive, but I definitely see the "nerdface" qualities Pingo mentions. There are a lot of jokes that smack of "its ok that we're being rather cruel right now, because it's a joke, you see?"

A lot of nerds and geeks are still so excited that someone is paying attention or taking an interest, they don't notice they're being made fun of. It is in many ways reminiscent of the worst kinds of minstrelsy, exaggerating a specific, marginal demographic's "quaint idiosyncrasies" for the entertainment of the masses.

BBT, as I said, doesn't usually offend me, but it does skirt the line frequently. I recently saw the episode in which the girls try to read comic books, and I wanted to throw things several times. I do, in fact, sometimes engage in "could Superman lift Mjolnir" discussions...but I'd appreciate it if the popular window into geek culture mentioned things like Saga, or Fables, or Bone instead.

This is a large part of why it bothers me.

I'm old enough to remember when D&D had no social cachet whatsoever, when it was the focus of mockery, scorn, and contempt from sports fans, fashionistas, church leaders, psychotherapists and other people whose own interests were considered normal and aboveboard.

I am not pleased to have basically those same people return with all the same smug old jokes and be expected to be charmed and flattered because, wow, look, actors playing caricatures of people who are supposed to be like me are on teevee!.

To give an analogy, I wonder if many impoverished farmers of the Appalachians were flattered by the way their lives were presented in "The Beverly Hillbillies."

It is possible to make a comedy, even a mocking one, with genuine affection and understanding of a culture. "The Order of the Stick" and "The Knights of the Dinner Table" do it brilliantly.

But a comedy that relies on ignorant clichés and tired old stereotypes written and performed by outsiders for cheap laughs, that is an ugly old tradition.

What bugs me most about BBT (I've said it before, I'll say it again) is the relative shallowness of the female characters compared to the male characters. Though I'm glad to see that they're working on Penny this season. But still, the ladies don't have nearly as many interests or passions as the male characters, and they still all fall into what I would consider "traditional" female past-times. Which is terribly disappointing.

• Like 1

So, just watched Big Hero 6 with the family last night.  Absolutely loved the movie.  Kids (5 & 8) were amazed.  Even my wife enjoyed the movie, which says a lot, since it is both an animated and superhero movie, which are pretty much her least favorite movie genres.  My daughter made me proud by instantly recognizing the Stan Lee cameo in the painting.  And then realizing this was a comic book movie.  I think I will skip tracking down and letting her read the original source material for awhile.  Since only part of it is available through the Marvel Online, and she's a little young for that now.

Up next for the kids, Night of the Museum III.  Yeah, I'm a little nervous.  But they will probably enjoy it, which is all that matters.

• Like 4

If NatM3 is anything like the previous films I'm sure they will be ok. (No Amy Adams in very tight pants in that one ::D:

Nothing new to report thou my son did mention wanting to watch Fellowship soon. Acruelly been awhile since I've seen that one so I may have to sit down & watch it. Show him the tie-ins to the Hobbit.

I just watched Shaft. The Sam Jackson sequel. It was . . . well, I watched it.

Up until it wasn't.

I see you made it

past the first thirty minutes.

I was good for the first hour. I mean, I called everything before it happened. Literally everything. But I was still enjoying it until

the clones. I called it but didn't think they'd actually do it. Because it was that bad an idea. IMO, anyway. Anyway, Matrix Independence Day etc. etc. or something, it got a little dull after that. Half a good movie even if poorly paced.

So, just watched Big Hero 6 with the family last night.  Absolutely loved the movie.  Kids (5 & 8) were amazed.  Even my wife enjoyed the movie, which says a lot, since it is both an animated and superhero movie, which are pretty much her least favorite movie genres.  My daughter made me proud by instantly recognizing the Stan Lee cameo in the painting.  And then realizing this was a comic book movie.  I think I will skip tracking down and letting her read the original source material for awhile.  Since only part of it is available through the Marvel Online, and she's a little young for that now.

Up next for the kids, Night of the Museum III.  Yeah, I'm a little nervous.  But they will probably enjoy it, which is all that matters.

Did you watch through the end of the credits? :;):

My daughter and I usually do the exploding fist bump.

She has started doing the Bay Max fist bump.

I :wub: her.

We usually do jellyfish knuckles. The kids love it. We will have to watch the movie when it hits Redbox though. Can never have enough variety of fist bumps.
  • Like 1

Just finished watching Goonies with the kids.  They absolutely loved it.  Erin begged me to tell her that they made a sequel.  No such luck, kiddo, and honestly, I'm kind of glad about that.

Tomorrow, The Princess Bride.

• Like 1