Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Talae

We caught Suicide Squad yesterday too. I enjoyed it, but I have to say that up until the bar scene, I really could have cared less for most of the characters other than Will Smith's. He obviously was the focal point of the plot, I just wish they might have done a little bit more w/the other characters. Margot Robbie was good as ever, but for a while there she just seemed like the comic relief - like the producers saw Deadpool and said "hey we need someone to be a smart elf". I was glad that that they redeemed her character in the end. Especially the dream sequence of her heart's desire. That was awesome!

I still have to say - worst Joker ever.  I would have been happier to see 1960's TV Joker appear in the movie, swinger-era costume and all.  Seriously, how does DC just totally dick up their two biggest villains? (BvS' Lex Luther being the other one.)

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We caught Suicide Squad yesterday too. I enjoyed it, but I have to say that up until the bar scene, I really could have cared less for most of the characters other than Will Smith's. He obviously was the focal point of the plot, I just wish they might have done a little bit more w/the other characters. Margot Robbie was good as ever, but for a while there she just seemed like the comic relief - like the producers saw Deadpool and said "hey we need someone to be a smart elf". I was glad that that they redeemed her character in the end. Especially the dream sequence of her heart's desire. That was awesome!

I still have to say - worst Joker ever.  I would have been happier to see 1960's TV Joker appear in the movie, swinger-era costume and all.  Seriously, how does DC just totally dick up their two biggest villains? (BvS' Lex Luther being the other one.)

I decided I was ok with this Joker. Nothing new or exciting but still serviceable.

Spoiler thoughts on the movie.

I don't think the Enchantress was the best choice for villain, in fact the trailers made it seem that the Joker played a larger role and was perhaps the villain. Deadshot, Harley Quinn and El Diablo were the primary characters in this movie and that was fine for me. Both Killer Croc and Boomerang work fine without much backstory, and anything they might have can easily be used in a later film. The real odd duck for me was Katana, who was just kinda there and never really plot relevant.She carried a lot of back story baggage that they never had time to do anything with but still tired to tell us about. Everything she did could have been better done in a dozen different ways. She just didn't fit in the movie. Probably should have saved her for the sequel. IMHO. Still I had fun and will probably buy it when it comes out.

One unspoilered thought on the movie. I'm very much a fan of the female form, but I thought Harley's butt shorts were a bit much. Daisy Duke style short shorts would have been fine, but the ones they gave her were just a bit too much. Especially since they always seemed to shoot her from behind and below. :unsure:

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 2

Suicide Squad was good. As mentioned it did seen a bit disjointed in spots and it probably didn't need as many characters (i really think the could have removed 3 or 4 without the plot suffering). Wasn't too impressed with Leto's Joker; not horrible but not outstanding either. I loved Robbie as Harly though!

Based upon the reports of the studio directed reshoot, I'm interested in seeing what the eventual directors cut looks like.

BVXy2mD.jpg

Whip It. I enjoyed this quite a bit. Cheesy, pretty obvious, but fun.

Nt5G3y4.jpg

Labyrinth. I didn't enjoy this at all. One of the most nonsensical things I've ever watched. Someone will tell me that's the point; that's a pretty lame point, though. It has no story and nothing visually--I'm a Muppet kinda guy, but come on; it all looks something between ugly and goofy--or thematically interesting enough to maintain interest. Everything happens without reason or consequence. Connelly and Bowie were terrible. Peak 80s awfulness. I can see how it's ripe for critical readings, and maybe drug trips, but it surely wasn't any fun to watch.

• Like 1

Wow. Labyrinth is a classic. Goblins, stolen children, magic puzzles, talking doors, wishes gone wrong, poison fruit....  Yes, the plot is simple, she has a quest/adventure and that's about it.  And everything Bowie was in got trippy.  I'm sorry you hated it, because I think it was a jewel.  

Now, Legend on the other hand was crap.  And we won't talk about Krull. 

• Like 1

Wow. Labyrinth is a classic. Goblins, stolen children, magic puzzles, talking doors, wishes gone wrong, poison fruit.... Yes, the plot is simple, she has a quest/adventure and that's about it. And everything Bowie was in got trippy. I'm sorry you hated it, because I think it was a jewel.

Now, Legend on the other hand was crap. And we won't talk about Krull.

Target acquired. :P
  • Like 1