Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Talae

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked them all....

We watched Hardcore Henry last night, and wow was it an adrenaline ride. Kinda like Crank in first person work more killing. If you don't like graphic violence stay away, because they are not kidding when they say the warnings at the start of the movie.

Saw Suicide Squad last night.   I went into it with no preconceived ideas about what the characters were supposed to be like, and I enjoyed it.  It was not what I was expecting,  I thought it was good, but not great.  I thought the movie, overall, suffered from an identity crisis.  There were places where it tried to be dark and grim, and didn't succeed, and places where they tried to lighten it with humor, and it fell flat. I thought they could have ratcheted up the suspense and tension quite a bit for a better movie.  I also felt the villain's storyline was weak and could have used more character development.  Overall it was enjoyable, and I would watch it again on cable. 

• Like 1

Saw Suicide Squad last night.   I went into it with no preconceived ideas about what the characters were supposed to be like, and I enjoyed it.  It was not what I was expecting,  I thought it was good, but not great.  I thought the movie, overall, suffered from an identity crisis.  There were places where it tried to be dark and grim, and didn't succeed, and places where they tried to lighten it with humor, and it fell flat. I thought they could have ratcheted up the suspense and tension quite a bit for a better movie.  I also felt the villain's storyline was weak and could have used more character development.  Overall it was enjoyable, and I would watch it again on cable. 

Based on the reviews I've heard, Imma wait for the DVD and watch the Director's Cut.

Saw Star Trek Beyond last Tuesday.

Good, but not great. I see what they meant that this wasn't the best of the new crop of Star Trek movies, yet felt as if it was the one closest to the feeling of the original series.

I'm really glad that Bones had much more to do in this movie, and that all the characters had something to do. And the nod to the original cast. Of course there are always little details in the scene or story that didn't quite make sense (the engineer in me knows too well just how impossible everything is in movies), but that's generally true of most movies anyway. And there was waaaay too much shaky cam (I'll take more lens glare instead). Most of the time I couldn't figure out who was shooting at who, or who was where.

• Like 1

Yesterday I rented from Redbox and watched:
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. I don't know if this was the theatrical release or the director's cut as it's a rental disc and it doesn't specify. But the movie is 151 minutes long. It was ok.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I liked it a lot, but I thought it was more of a drama than a comedy.

I'm buying tickets for a lot of "retro" showings at The Alamo this week. My buddy and I are getting tickets for Flash Gordon over Labor Day weekend, and they're showing both the original Batman and Batman Returns during September so I'll take my son to at least one of those. (I'm not sure I can stomach Batman Returns.)  I'm on the fence about going to see Beetlejuice or PeeWee's Big Adventure. (Sept = Tim Burton month)

Watched Up again yesterday. I love that movie!

I only ever watched it in the theatre but I agree it was a wonderful movie.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I bought the DVD/BluRay when it first came out. Going to have to check for sure tomorrow and watch it if I have it.

• Like 1

Labyrinth. I didn't enjoy this at all. One of the most nonsensical things I've ever watched. Someone will tell me that's the point; that's a pretty lame point, though. It has no story and nothing visually--I'm a Muppet kinda guy, but come on; it all looks something between ugly and goofy--or thematically interesting enough to maintain interest. Everything happens without reason or consequence. Connelly and Bowie were terrible. Peak 80s awfulness. I can see how it's ripe for critical readings, and maybe drug trips, but it surely wasn't any fun to watch.

It's an 80s cult classic, and cult classics often do not make sense to new viewers.

It's one of those movies that appeared at the right and place and time to seem "magical". A generation of teenage girls seeing a dreamy looking David Bowie probably didn't hurt either.

Myself I saw The Princess Bride, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Bride of Frankenstein for the first time only in the past two years (all movies I saw while flying on Air Canada). And from a 21st century point of view, they're all awful. If I take the context of where and when they were shown for the first time, I can appreciate them in a different perspective (maybe not always).

And this 21st century viewer also laments this generation's movies. Visually, they look stunning, but it only takes you so far.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3