Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Talae

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an 80s cult classic, and cult classics often do not make sense to new viewers.

QFT! I caught the last 15 minutes of Enter the Ninja this past weekend with my son and he was like WTF? I had to explain to him that it was a lot more believable when I was 10. :lol:

Labyrinth. I didn't enjoy this at all. One of the most nonsensical things I've ever watched. Someone will tell me that's the point; that's a pretty lame point, though. It has no story and nothing visually--I'm a Muppet kinda guy, but come on; it all looks something between ugly and goofy--or thematically interesting enough to maintain interest. Everything happens without reason or consequence. Connelly and Bowie were terrible. Peak 80s awfulness. I can see how it's ripe for critical readings, and maybe drug trips, but it surely wasn't any fun to watch.

It's an 80s cult classic, and cult classics often do not make sense to new viewers.

It's one of those movies that appeared at the right and place and time to seem "magical". A generation of teenage girls seeing a dreamy looking David Bowie probably didn't hurt either.

Myself I saw The Princess Bride, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Bride of Frankenstein for the first time only in the past two years (all movies I saw while flying on Air Canada). And from a 21st century point of view, they're all awful. If I take the context of where and when they were shown for the first time, and I can appreciate them in a different perspective (maybe not always).

FWIW, I saw Labyrinth in the 80s and still didn't like it.  :poke:

Rocky Horror is objectively bad in almost every way, but it's bad in a camp way that makes the whole audience participation phenomenon work. Bride of Frankenstein is a style of comedy that will either work for you or not (it doesn't for me and didn't when it came out). In this, it's much like Adam Sandler or Monty Python (for instance). Princess Bride is definitely a thing of its time. The effects were kind of cheesy even when it was made, but the dialog is very strong in much the same way that Monty Python dialog, at its best, is strong.

Which is mostly to say that I agree with the end result, but not necessarily the reasons.  ::D:

• Like 2

QFT! I caught the last 15 minutes of Enter the Ninja this past weekend with my son and he was like WTF? I had to explain to him that it was a lot more believable when I was 10. :lol:

Ugh, 80s ninja movies.

"Awesome cool!" when I was 13. Then I happened to catch part of "American Ninja 3" on TV as a 40 year old adult, and nothing in that movie made sense anymore.

Knowledge, education and critical thinking destroyed my love of movies!

• Like 4

Our family watched three Steven Chow movies (a mini film fest) over the weekend: Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle and Journey to the West. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a while, much less three in a row.

My only quibble was that Journey to the West was a bit misnamed, as it deals with only a small part of the epic before the journey even begins, the taming of Sun Wukong. Even though we were familiar with the legend, we were lost as to where the movie was going at first.

Watch Kung Fu Hustle and Journey to the West back-to-back. The parallels in the final battles are humorous, to say the least, and probably intentional.

EDIT: Proably? No, certainly!

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 2

I finally got around to watching Batman v Superman. I figure the kids could watch it, but they shouldn't. Not because of language or violence, but because it just wasn't very good.   I could follow it, but it was a weird mashup of "Dark Knight Returns" and "Death of Superman", and by the end, all I could think was "Lex built a cave troll?  Oh goody, it's Doomsday, so Superman is going to die.  <long battle scene> Cripes, just kill him already and get on with it!"

Our family watched three Steven Chow movies (a mini film fest) over the weekend: Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle and Journey to the West. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a while, much less three in a row.

My only quibble was that Journey to the West was a bit misnamed, as it deals with only a small part of the epic before the journey even begins, the taming of Sun Wukong. Even though we were familiar with the legend, we were lost as to where the movie was going at first.

Watch Kung Fu Hustle and Journey to the West back-to-back. The parallels in the final battles are humorous, to say the least, and probably intentional.

EDIT: Proably? No, certainly!

\

ooo, I haven't seen Journey to the West. I loved his first two movies.

• Like 1

FWIW, I enjoyed The Princess Bride when seeing it first as an adult. It's well written and directed. Good cast, solid performances. Lot of great lines. It's an obvious product of the 80s, sure, but it's the timeless sort of tale that transcends the immediate trappings of the era. Doesn't pander to it, anyway. I think that's all reflected by the manner in which it's been received so well, critically and otherwise, from its release and on--though I believe it too was a box-office disappointment iirc.

Anyway, I'd have a hard time lumping it in with those other movies, the popularity among their proponents of which are attributable to other factors. Doug hit it on the head of course with Rocky Horror's audience participation, and I think 80s-girl-squee is about right for Labyrinth--my wife certainly would agree. Bride of Frankenstein I've actually never seen--the movie from the 30s? I was thinking Young Frankenstein at first. Mel Brooks is just Mel Brooks. Gotta love him, imo. Unless of course you don't.

Same with Sandler, who's a great example of bad things I love, by the by. No one ever will convince me that his run through the 90s wasn't solid gold. I'd never tell someone Happy Gilmore or The Waterboy is a great movie, though, without qualifying it. Part of my frustration with Labyrinth was that I've had people for years telling me it was good. And drawing a connection to the fact I like D&D. And it was just, like, lolno.

Also, I remember Krull fondly.  ::(: Though I haven't watched it in 15 years. I mean, I remember its being goofy. And really slow. But I liked it.

• Like 1

Just saw Suicide Squad. I really liked it, although there were a couple of characters that felt really tacked on. Certainly better than BvS.

I saw Antman in theaters a while back and while I thought it was a weaker movie than most other Marvel films, that's not really a significant critique.

One of the problems with the DC movie universe is that they are all over the place as far as continuity - a new Superman, but a Batman that has been around for long enough for his enemies to have targeted Wayne Manor - but played by Ben Affleck who is way too young to play that version of Batman (who would be around my age, dangit!). And now a freakin' young Joker.

I want to find Snyder and beat him with a Continuity Club.

Pick a continuity, then stick to it you [REDACTED]! Ya wanna do The Dark Knight Returns? Then do The Dark Knight Returns! Ya wanna do Kingdom Come? Then do Kingdom Come! You don't drop everything into a blender and expect it to work!

Marvel is planning out their movies like it was a very expensive TV series, so that each movie builds on the previous films - so they can have something like Civil War, and have it mean something. (Heck, they can have Vision in a sweater and have it mean something!)

DC is trying to take a shortcut, and it is not working nearly as well. The result is a freakin' mess.

Marvel is spending more time introducing minor characters than DC is spending introducing the characters that are central to their stories. (I swear, Spiderman had more lines in Civil War than Superman in BvS. The kid likes to talk....)

That said, I did like Suicide Squad more than BvS - The plot held together, which is better than I can say for BvS - I just didn't sympathize with any of the characters. (Even Harley Quinn - Megan and I were both deeply disappointed by Harley - she was the main reason we were watching the film.) The Joker just annoyed me, which was not something that I had expected. (I liked him better than Nicholson's Joker - but less than Romero's.)

BvS was not the worst superhero movie... I have seen the version of Fantastic 4 that was pulled before it hit theaters.... (I still liked Puma Man more than BvS, though....)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Ironically, DC is doing a better job with their TV series than they are with their movies.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5

*EDIT* Ironically, DC is doing a better job with their TV series than they are with their movies.

Yes, their TV Series has been either pretty good, or a lot of fun. Very much looking forward to The Flash and how they handle the Flashpoint story...

Damon, and Supergirl too1

• Like 1

We went to Kubo and the Two Strings last night. It was very good, beautifully animated, and had a touching story.  I would highly recommend it to members of this board.  A friend of mine said she didn't think it was suitable for children, which was ironic, as her kids have already seen it, but I disagree with her. 

After that we snuck into Bad Moms for a few minutes while waiting for the rain to stop.  Hilarious.  I would compare it to Horrible Bosses, but funnier. 

• Like 4

TV has always been something DC did well. Marvel has been more hit and miss with that particular format but they are improving. What's hindering DC is that they are trying to play catch up. Marvel is almost a decade ahead of them with the MCU and are already heading into the endgame with this particular set of stories. DC likely feels it needs to be at that same point but that means every story is going to feel rushed as they try to cram too much in.

I didn't realize Kubo was in theaters. Maybe the wife and I will go see it this weekend.