Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Talae

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched 1776 last weekend.  Probably going to watch it again this weekend.

Mostly I'm watching it as a character study because we are putting on this production at the end of the month at our local theatre... not really to copy, just for a sense of some of the characteristics and to look at the clothing again.  Also to look at the paper used as I begin to build my parchment list of all the documents I am going to need to have.  I'm playing Charles Thomson, the Secretary of the Congress.

Sadly... I guess the last one I watched was Episode VII.  I find I would rather paint and listen to podcasts than go to a movie or watch one on television.  After the glut of the Tour de France and then the Olympics, I'm pretty much TV'ed out too.  

I played Benjamin Franklin when my Jr. High did the musical. (I have been playing Auld and Grumpy since 1976!)

The Auld Grump - for some reason they didn't have me play John Adams, though I was the only one from Massachusetts in the class....

• Like 4

For a while my family watched 1776 every Independence Day (although the restored cut scenes make it drag a bit in the middle). A funny, moving, mascara-ey*, educational musical.

We used to hoot at Jefferson, though.

*Seriously. I know it was, like, 1972, but couldn't the makeup and hair people think of some better model than women's fashion of the time for dudes in long upswept hair?

• Like 1

I don't remember if I mentioned.  We watched the new "Ghostbusters" movie during our family vacation and the whole family enjoyed it.

It was funny, warm, and respectful of the original without being either a sequel or a slavish remake.

• Like 1

We watch a favorite from when I was a very Young Grump - Babes in Toyland (1961).

I have been informed that under no circumstances am I to show the movie to Young Brigid Danger O'Grump until she is considerably older than I was....

My good lady is concerned that the Forest of No Return (my favorite part!) might be too frightening for the very young.

The Auld Grump - decades later, and I haven't seen it in a very long time... but I could still sing along....

• Like 1

Saw The Jungle Book on the plane last Monday.

I liked it a lot more than I expected.

The only thing that felt out of place was King Louie singing. (Baloo singing was quite appropriate though)

Oh ya, Jungle book was amazing. The blending of CGI / MoCap and live action was very well done.  If anything about king Louie, is the scale. He seem to change in size form scene to scene and he was way too big. 

Edited by dunker79

We watched Gotcha! from 1985, and boy that movie would not be made today. In the beginning of the movie the main character is playing assassinate with paint guns right on campus in broad daylight. Could you imagine the police presence that would bring today! And his best friend is using "I am Carlos the terrorist" as a pickup line to get girls. A different time for sure.

• Like 2

It was pretty stupid at the time, too.  That was an era of plane hijackings and terrorist kidnappings gone wrong. We were only a few years past the Iran hostage rescue and about to get nuked by the Russians because of Reagan politics.  Neither my high school or college allowed paintball on campus. 

• Like 1