Sculpey, Reaper Bases, and the Oven?

So I've got a bunch of little black Reaper circle bases, and a whole bunch more coming from Bones II.

I also have quite a bit of Sculpey that I intend to use for basing.

I'm not 100% sure how exactly one goes about doing that, but the immediately obvious way is "smoosh sculpey into Reaper base top, smoosh texture stamp on top, stick in oven."

So um... how well do those little black plastic Reaper bases hold up at 275 degrees? I don't want to wreck a cookie sheet and stink up the house in the wee house of the morning trying.

EDIT: I found one mention of this, resulting in a melted base. So I think that's a no.

Edited by Von Krieger

That would be a big NO!   What you do (or at least I do) is use the base to determine how big a circle I need and then bake the sculpy on a flat cooking sheet and glue it in place after it has cooled.

Another option is to use Green Stuff or Milliput or another material that does not need baking to cure and then you can scuplt directly on the base itself.

Edited by robinh
  • Like 5

I'd make a base template out of sculpey. Those black plastic bases will get all smelly and squishy after fifteen minutes at 275 degrees.

A base template made of sculpey, on the other hand, is heat resistant and reuseable.

I'd make a base template out of sculpey. Those black plastic bases will get all smelly and squishy after fifteen minutes at 275 degrees.

A base template made of sculpey, on the other hand, is heat resistant and reuseable.

cooking sculpey multiple times is also not good. There are warnings against over cooking on the package.

• Like 1

Place a little piece of aluminum foil over the base. sculpt your thing on the foil. Lift the foil and the sculpture off the base when done, place on cookie sheet, bake, and then place back on the base when cool.

This is good advice. I do basically the same thing, only with parchment paper instead of aluminum foil. The parchment paper is slightly transparent, which lets you see the circle underneath.

• Like 1

I'll build a sculpey base on the black plastic base, then use a hobby knife to slice it off the base, bake, and glue back on the plastic base.  if it has a lip this is a bit problematic, but what you can do is make sure the sculpey overlaps the lip and glue it to the lip rather than the bottom of the base. yeah... I tried baking the plastic base once... :down:

• Like 1

Let's go for a stupid question....

I was working on a Christmas present for the wife that isn't going to happen, so i may move it to Mother's day. The general concept is a brick wall in a heart shape with an imprint of my two year olds son in the middle (like a giant punched into the wall). Then graffiti the wall up with "luv mom" and my son's name.

So i bought my first sculpy ever and realized after playing with it for awhile that it would not be soft enough to easily get a child's imprint. So my next thought is to put plaster in a heart shaped cookie mold and get my son's imprint. Once dry put a roll of sculpy over the raise face of the heart and stamp in the brick pattern.

So my dumb question...if i do it this way and put the whole thing in the oven will the plaster fall apart from the excess heat?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Let's go for a stupid question....

I was working on a Christmas present for the wife that isn't going to happen, so i may move it to Mother's day. The general concept is a brick wall in a heart shape with an imprint of my two year olds son in the middle (like a giant punched into the wall). Then graffiti the wall up with "luv mom" and my son's name.

So i bought my first sculpy ever and realized after playing with it for awhile that it would not be soft enough to easily get a child's imprint. So my next thought is to put plaster in a heart shaped cookie mold and get my son's imprint. Once dry put a roll of sculpy over the raise face of the heart and stamp in the brick pattern.

So my dumb question...if i do it this way and put the whole thing in the oven will the plaster fall apart from the excess heat?

Merry Christmas everyone.

I would go with aves or magicsculpt for this. Price isn't too bad at $20 or less a pound, it's extremely soft when it starts to cure and works to stiff to put sharp detail, then hardens to a machine able form. And best of all, no baking involved!

• Like 1

Everyone else has offered great advice. I generally use  big flat sheets of thin sculpey. Bake the sculpey, and then carve designs in it.  You can then use a small round cookie cutter, small square cookie cutter, or a knife to cut out base sized pieces of the carved sculpey. Cheers. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: and i have some Magic Sculpt, so can give it a try.

As an aside i got an alginate mold kit and created a mold of my sons hand. The mold was perfect, but i failed to fill it properly to remove all the air. A couple finger tips where they curled back did not form properly. Did not have an opportunity to create a new mold and cast, so.....sprayed the cast hand to look like hammered Brass mounted at the wrist on a black wood base. Built up a Hirst art fieldstone wall behind the open palm. Presto...all mistakes well disguised and my wife was surprised by the gift (that i finished painting Christmas eve).

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: and i have some Magic Sculpt, so can give it a try.

As an aside i got an alginate mold kit and created a mold of my sons hand. The mold was perfect, but i failed to fill it properly to remove all the air. A couple finger tips where they curled back did not form properly. Did not have an opportunity to create a new mold and cast, so.....sprayed the cast hand to look like hammered Brass mounted at the wrist on a black wood base. Built up a Hirst art fieldstone wall behind the open palm. Presto...all mistakes well disguised and my wife was surprised by the gift (that i finished painting Christmas eve).

Pictures or it never happened!!!  LOL!!!  Well done, Sir! And here you were saying the project would would be binned until Mother's Day...

Pictures or it never happened!!!  LOL!!!  Well done, Sir! And here you were saying the project would would be binned until Mother's Day...

Ok smart aleck! Lol. Btw...i ordered some bulk Alginate, so i can try this experiment again. Also if anyone knows the source of the poem in the picture, i would love to give the author credit.

post-11397-0-51198700-1420055777.jpg

post-11397-0-64625900-1420055789.jpg

post-11397-0-19925700-1420055802.jpg

post-11397-0-82727200-1420055819.jpg

• Like 4