Preping the CAV Bones for paint.

Mastergunz

Hey guys, finally got around to some prep and paint on my EB CAV's (pics soon!) and thought I would share my xp on them.

First off, cleaning the admittedly minimal mold lines is a breeze. I used a combination of an exacto knife for the larger flash and a rat tail emery file for the lighter lines. Clean as a whistle now.

The most important thing I can share is on all 8 that I have cleaned and primed so far the paint out of my airbrush beaded up every time. A quick scrub with some soapy water fixed this but I felt it was worth mentioning that these do not take paint well right out of the package.

As was mentioned in another thread, splintering does occur when the plastic is stressed. I.E. bent to far. However, a simple fix is GW liquid green stuff. Get the piece back to where you want it and paint a bit on. Once dry file smooth and your good to go.

All in all I am thrilled with the quality of these minis especially for the price. Can't wait till next year to get the rest of them! :D

-Gunz

• Like 3

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The beading up is a known issue with all the Bones line.  Yours is the first experience I've heard with an airbrush primer coat, though there are probably more that I've missed. Through trial and error, a good deal of information has been put together on bones. For those new to Bones through this Kickstarter I recommend reading through these two threads.

First Coat is the difference

Bones F.A.Q. (unofficial)

• Like 2

While the hyddrophobia of bones is well known, I found the Cav bones to be a bit worse than the fantasy bones I've painted. and I was using unthinned coal black. straight out of the pot. 

I also had to boil and cool a few to fix bent parts (normal and not a big deal) but there is an anteanne on the top of one cav (name escapes me right now) that won't straighten at all. its a really thin piece.

I normally use a small bowl of soapy water, scrubbing them with my fingers [the old toothbrush got tossed in the move], rinse thoroughly, wrap to wick and then air-dry.

It's in one of the two linked threads, but there's a better primer than primer when it comes to Bones: Brown Liner.  There's something about it that makes it stick, almost invulnerably so.

• Like 2

I just use an old soft bristle toothbrush with a bit of warm water and dish soap. Rinse well and let air dry. As for primer, i've used my go to for metal minis before (Rustoleum black engine primer) but it ended up tacky and never fully dried. After some research I found that the propelants in the spray can don't react well with the bones material so I went over to vallejo airbrush black primer. Works like a charm and dried very flat vs the semi-gloss that other ab primers can result in.

-Gunz

May have to try the brown liner when my CAV paints come in. :)

-Gunz

• Like 1

for washing, I just use running water in the sink, and an old toothbrush. Scrub them until sudsy and rinse them off. Pretty much any soap seems to work, though cheap discount store dish soap is probably the best Only thing you need to worry about that way is loosing small pieces. Those I tend to not rinse in running water.

That brings up a question I have been wondering for a while. How does one use the liners. Reaper is the only paint line I have ever heard of that has 'liners'. Are they basically a really thin paint ala a wash/ink used to line panels or do they have another use? Not just in bones applications but in regular paint appsas well.

-Gunz

That brings up a question I have been wondering for a while. How does one use the liners. Reaper is the only paint line I have ever heard of that has 'liners'. Are they basically a really thin paint ala a wash/ink used to line panels or do they have another use? Not just in bones applications but in regular paint appsas well.

-Gunz

They're very dark and thin, but have high pigment loads. In addition to use as a primer for Bones figures, I find they work very well as a bottom shadow color and when mixed to darken other colors. Also, a mixture of blue and brown liner is quite a nice chromatic black.

• Like 1

-Gunz

First video of my Tiamat CAV is priming with the blue liner. If nothing else, you can see what it does for me. No linky as I'm posting via phone, but the thread is in the general WIP section and it has the video behind spoiler tags, and a link to my channel is in my sig.

• Like 1