The Christmas Loot Thread

I feel very appreciated this Christmas.

The girlfriend and I both approached Christmas morning in a sweaty uncertainty. Apparently, we'd both THOUGHT we'd gotten each other things that the other would really like... but there was that sense of "what if I'm completely wrong about this?" floating in the background.

Among the items I'd done for her was a limited edition Sandra Garrity piece... I forget what it's called, but it's a cutesy dragon, hugging a bug-eyed knight to the point of strangulation... "I will love him and squeeze him and call him St. George!" I found it at the adoption table at Reapercon, and thought it was adorable. I also assembled and painted the entire Legion of Justice and Caeke on a forest base ... she'd said she thought Echidnox was adorable, so naturally I took it too far. And then worried that I was having so much fun, that I hadn't realized that maybe this wasn't the best Christmas gift for her.

She went wild over them. Mission accomplished, and thank you, Jason Wiebe.

And then it turns out SHE was worried about what she'd gotten ME. Was it the right thing? The right stuff? She'd bought all these items and then realized that she'd kind of been on a theme... who wants a whole bunch of BOOKS for Christmas?

...well... I do... if they're art books dedicated to specific subjects I'm interested in. The Art Of "The Book Of Life", from the movie's production art, is downright stunning. I didn't even know there WAS a book of preproduction art. The Art Of "How To Train Your Dragon II" was just as welcome... LOVE those movies, and she got me the art book from the first one LAST year, and it was every bit as welcome. Reading art books is not only fascinating, but helps me become a better artist myself. Which is why Talin needs to publish The Art Of Reaper Miniatures, but I digress.

Oh, yeah: an action figure. Ash. From "Evil Dead II." Eight inches tall, cloth outfit, retro Mego style.

My girlfriend gets me. And I love her for it.

Any brags about loot, or interesting stories?

• Like 10
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a somewhat interesting Christmas... my mom, in looking at my Amazon wishlist, apparently wandered into the "people who liked this also liked..." section and thought that was also part of my list. This morning I received a Kindle Fire HD7 - which would be shiny and all, except I have a tablet for tablet things, and a Paperwhite for e-reading. So... not particularly useful to me.

Fortunately, my little sister did not have a tablet, so it was quickly passed on to her and items from my wishlist were selected for delivery, most likely after the holiday - a wooden travel desk (for writing), an ink bottle (for my fountain pens), and some books I was interested in. ^_^

Other gifts include: leather covers for composition notebooks (one large, one mini (I tend to write in cheap composition books a lot, and this makes them look a bit classier while I'm using them, as well as increasing their durability); a backpack of holding (from ThinkGeek); some new inks for my fountain pens (J. Herbin gris nuage [gray] and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher [midnight blue]); some tea-cocktail mixers; and a tactical pen that, while not a fountain pen, does come with a whistle and a firestarter built in. ::D:

All in all, a pretty good haul. Nothing miniature or painting related, but this was by choice; I have a massive set of Bones 2 coming, I'm still working on Bones 1, and I haven't even properly sorted my CAV Bones yet (not to mention the rest of that coming next year).

• Like 10

Thus far, I received The following..

Harley Davidson Rain Suit for my Motorcycle

American flag and mount also for the motorcycle

Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

Set of 4 Finish Nail Guns

Set of Dewalt quick grip clamps

Dewalt drill and cordless circular saw

2 New pipe clamps

New router bits

And I still have a stocking and 2 more boxes under the tree for when I get off work...

I got the Mrs. a fully customised Oak, Maple, and Paduk butcher block countertop (still under construction but almost ready to install) for the mobile Island she wanted in the kitchen. Also, some storage/organiser things for her art studio. She also got a homemade lamp with pictures of her and my life together thus far on slides connceted to form a lampshade that her sister makes. She also got a Chaunika stocking (with 8 slots for gifts) and a dradle music box. (why are jewish words not in spellcheck?) 

• Like 7

while not a harley man myself. Nice stuff you got there Fishnjeeps.

LK. Good stuff, even if there was a slight miscommunication.

Doc. I am envious. I wish I had a significant other that really gets me, and I her in such a wonderful fashion. Much love and joy in the year ahead for the both of you.

My own haul

the standard socks and skivies. Underwear was cool though, a whole pack of bright colours, neon green, dayglo orange, bright blue and aquamarine. Won't loose them any time soon.

I also got a dremmel, a ceramic pallet a wet pallet a couple brushes, two 'shotglass' display frames for minis, a great big ultra soft blanket and a couple of knickknacks 

• Like 8

while not a harley man myself. Nice stuff you got there Fishnjeeps.

LK. Good stuff, even if there was a slight miscommunication.

Doc. I am envious. I wish I had a significant other that really gets me, and I her in such a wonderful fashion. Much love and joy in the year ahead for the both of you.

My own haul

the standard socks and skivies. Underwear was cool though, a whole pack of bright colours, neon green, dayglo orange, bright blue and aquamarine. Won't loose them any time soon.

I also got a dremmel, a ceramic pallet a wet pallet a couple brushes, two 'shotglass' display frames for minis, a great big ultra soft blanket and a couple of knickknacks 

Berni got me socks and sweatpants LAST Christmas. As a JOKE. Thing is, having recently moved north from Texas, I NEEDED them!

A friend got me a new pin vice... with something like twenty new drill bits! THAT was a welcome thing.

• Like 5

Hmm...nothing minis related but...

- Panzers I & II Book by Spielberger. Adds to my reference collection

- HALO Unto Dawn on Blue-ray

- Star Wars: The Clone Wars complete series on DVD

- The Lost Fleet -- Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast in HB

- A 1/144 Gundam model

- Pair of Jeans

- Star Wars T-shirt (Storm Troopers & Vader in front, Chewie in the back with a big foam "Rebels #1" hand))

- $100 in cash, which was immediately turned into D&D 5e Monster Manual & DMG

- Money left over I might buy either a model kit (sale on Orange Box Dragon SdKfz.250/1 Neuer Art w/German Assault Troops, or an after-market lower hull for an M3A1 Stuart)

Damon.

Edited by Lars Porsenna
  • Like 5

I won't be home until next Monday evening, but already I'm expecting socks.

But not just *any* socks, but Darn Tough Vermont socks! The kind that comes with an unconditional lifetime guarantee. No strings, no conditions, for life. When I mentioned this on my Christmas wish list, my brother suddenly decided he wanted some too.

My mother indirectly (I bought them, she paid me back) gave me some Logitech headphones for my tablet when I'm at my work site so I can Skype everyone with quality sound.

I'll be receiving other stuff, but I have no idea what. I know I asked for a vacuum cleaner turbo carpet brush and kitchen knife sleeves.

I'm getting old when socks and vacuum cleaner accessories are my fondest wish.

• Like 5

I got a hd smart tv from the gf and also some minis from Santa in my stocking. The Gf asked where did those come from and I said Santa of course silly girl.I got her a gliding rocker but it didn't arrive in time.Hopefully it will be here before our other present gets here; our baby  girl

Edited by Grimreaper71
  • Like 5