Randomness 4: A New Hope

I tried to avoid a TPK one time by resolving such separately for every character (Though it's supposed to be one damage roll) and it still killed everyone....oh well...LET THE DICE FALL WHERE THEY MAY!

I don't think I've ever wiped out a whole party as a GM.

I have been TPK'd as a player, I think, twice.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flamehawke

• NomadZeke

• ub3r_n3rd

• Last Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to avoid a TPK one time by resolving such separately for every character (Though it's supposed to be one damage roll) and it still killed everyone....oh well...LET THE DICE FALL WHERE THEY MAY!

I'll fudge some dice rolls sometimes if I feel it necessary to save the game/characters. I hate when one of my PC's dies - typically because I'll spend time/effort on the character creation, then I'll buy a specific miniature for him/her, AND paint it up. Sucks when you put that much time/effort/money/blood/sweat/tears into it and it dies within a session or two. Happened to the barbarian dude who is my avatar...

• Like 5

Knowingly going into a dangerous fight, knowing that it could be a TPK is one thing. That is a challenge, that is fun, but having the DM work towards that as a goal, that is not. Throwing challenges at the players they have very little hope to defeat is the same

• Like 7

My players all whiffed their perception check and walked right into a trap...it went badly. Nevermind the enemies in the scenario waiting for survivors and capturing them if that happened. I wasn't actively trying to TPK...

Though battletech will be a different story when they have to face down the Monster.

• Like 3

Knowingly going into a dangerous fight, knowing that it could be a TPK is one thing. That is a challenge, that is fun, but having the DM work towards that as a goal, that is not. Throwing challenges at the players they have very little hope to defeat is the same

Yep, my group is pretty good about this though. Whoever is DM'ing will let the players know how dangerous it could be and to roll up extra characters beforehand in case of deaths.

• Like 2

AHHHH! Froggy has Black Speech in his signature now. WE ARE DOOMED!

scan-eb.jpg

Wut the heck is that??  ::o:  :unsure:  :huh:

One of his accidents clearly

Yours too, Froggy?

Lol, photobombed by your cat, Lady Hawke?  It came early then...interesting.  Also took me longer than I should have to even notice I had a friend request...I usually ignore that list since if I didn't send it, it's someone I am not terribly excited about talking to.

Sith

A surprise? A little mischief, perhaps? Which also varies but still is usually fun.

Yes. merlin wanted to investigate them and be loved during that time. He hates being ignored in favor of other objects. I knew you 2 were up to something...

Sorry. I figured why not since I already chatter with you and keep meaning to say hello.

You know I now have to figure how to fill it

Sylvena

Perhaps I meant mischief. Perhaps I meant something else...

I am going to town tonight

Hi Siri!

Edit doens't count. Plus my ninja frog had an actual ninja frog.

Plus no true ninja walks into the bar. The walk through it. Because ninja.

I also think lady hawke is thoroughly distracted by her new shinies now.

More like I sometimes have to be responsible and watch the children who have the day of...

I'm back briefly

TPK's are, In my honest (and of course correct) oppinion something a Good DM should try and avoid whenever possible. There are some who take the opposite tack, and feel that the DM is to be the enemy of the players, and do their most to destroy them, but I find that sucks the fun out of a cooperative game.

I like to plot them, but I almost never carry them out. My dad always had the gola to do a TPK. Typically aside from my mom one of the guys would count on me to save them and for my character to die instead. To give a good idea how often I made characters...

I can make a fighter in roughly 15 minutes or less if I can use my old stats

I also did that every freaking week

This I can agree with heartily

• Like 4

Yep, my group is pretty good about this though. Whoever is DM'ing will let the players know how dangerous it could be and to roll up extra characters beforehand in case of deaths.

If you fail the GM's "Are you sure you want to do that?" test, you deserve what befalls you.

• Like 8

My favorite was when we forgot to stake a partymember who was killed by a Chinese Hopping Vampire (Deadlands).

Next session, former PC eats us all on the streets of Shan Fan.

There's your problem!

You don't  stake the Jiangxi. You fill their mouths with rice, and fix a seal scroll to their foreheads.

Silly Frog!

• Like 6

If you fail the GM's "Are you sure you want to do that?" test, you deserve what befalls you.

HAHA yep!

I did that last time we played with a poignant look in the player's direction... he quickly backtracked and decided on another course of action. 

• Like 4