I am a bit shocked, but this is actually the last Thunderbolt Mountain, 25 mm miniature I have.

Glad to see that it is one without a helm (so I have the pleasure of doing a face on this scale again).

Galahad has all the looks of simplicity, which means it is more treacherous than otherwise..LOL.

I already have spent hours filing off mold marks, and getting it onto a base.

There is one mold line on left leg that has been scraped and filed down, I don't want to do anymore

to it, since it risks damaging the sculpt at this point.  I'll let the primer and paint do its magic on that.

So..I'm off on another gallop, though in keeping with my new habit of taking my time,

this WON'T be done in a week, by a long shot.

Looks like I have ample opportunity to have fun.

post-12655-0-96698600-1420053975.jpg

post-12655-0-56478300-1420053976.jpg

post-12655-0-22276300-1420053977_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Looks like this rider is on quite a sturdy beastie. Looking forward to seeing what you will do with this one.

• Like 2

On to stage two of my painting sequence.

I have to remember to get out one of my "acrylic brushes" and label the dang thing.. (brown liner use).

I have almost destroyed a real hair brush (not an expensive one) doing the lining.

I forget how abrasive the primer can be.

So he now has a brown layer that I can now see all the details on him.

This horse is more "clunky" carved then normal, though the horse also has a shield medallion in the middle of his chest.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Here are some photos:

post-12655-0-59018000-1420126257.jpg

post-12655-0-31526700-1420126258_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-94479000-1420126258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 7

Now I feel fantastic about the new year !

Got the paint and brushes rolling, and Galahad has a face, with blue eyes!

I can see the blue eyes, but I don't think my camera can..LOL.

Anyway.. "Book-em Dano"

post-12655-0-38240400-1420224711.jpg

post-12655-0-28656300-1420224718.jpg

• Like 8

It looks to me like the horse is supposed to be a clydesdale or percheron or something, one of those muscly horses with huge thick legs sturdy enough to carry a knight in full armor.

• Like 1

It looks to me like the horse is supposed to be a clydesdale or percheron or something, one of those muscly horses with huge thick legs sturdy enough to carry a knight in full armor.

Yeap, you are right Pingo.

This was the first time that I felt one of these sculpts were "clunky" when I started cleaning them up.

I think this is one of the earlier ones the Tom did.  Its still fantastic though.

I'm so glad that it does not have a bucket head !  LOL

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

Cleanups, base coating, some more cleanup, then some prepping, then some more basecoating.

I finally understand something that CashWiley said a while back.

"He spends so much time prepping a piece to paint that he was amazed".

Now I see it after a year of painting.

It looks fine when you start, then you see little misses, a mold line (that now looks like a telephone pole in your figure).

Then you really did a crappy job of applying the primer (or how the heck did you miss that spot ??????)

Check glasses..Le Sigh....

Anyway.  I did a lot of work on Galahad this morning.

His armor is now base blacked.

Horse is brownish based color.. I can go up or down with this khaki color as a horse flesh.

Preparing a base to go from.

post-12655-0-35665600-1420298009_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-08693200-1420298010_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-69313500-1420298010_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-37218100-1420298011_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Started laughing when I looked at these this morning.

The above photos look like I am trying to copy a Valesquez or Rembrant drawing...

all those blacks and moody browns !  It does help me understand the structure of what I am painting though !

• Like 2

The above photos look like I am trying to copy a Valesquez or Rembrant drawing...

And what would be the problem with that?  :;):

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2

Pingo.. I adore magnificent art, and if I could paint like Valesquiez, or Rembrant, you would hear NO complaints from me at all :)

I started working on the horse this evening.

Playing with the shadow areas and the highlight areas..

Amazing as i moved the miniature around.

Here the base flesh done, small shadows done..

Need to develop the knights material, (I'm thinking purple, since I need to learn to get a really high highlight on that color).

Might do a pink highlight.. just imagining.

Here is the latest.

post-12655-0-54824500-1420432321_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-28043500-1420432322_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-94617200-1420432322_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-61392400-1420432323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 5

Started painting this morning, and put the miniature down, and walked away...

Something was wrong...

After half an hour I came back and discovered that I had painted the miniature in several tones of browns....

all of which were too dark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the wet Palette... brighten this puppy up !!!!!!!!!!!

So, I'm now revamping the whole color scheme.

Somehow it was becoming a very dark moody horse and rider.. which isn't what I really wanted.

First photo (G017) is before modification.

Now I just build up the color and depth.

post-12655-0-82339600-1420487840_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-53710700-1420487841_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-16294800-1420487842_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-96705200-1420487842_thumb.jpg

• Like 6