Sign in to follow this  

Didn't you do purple cloth on the last one? The horse's caparison?

I did, but I want to experiment with it, and raise those highlights up another notch.

I do very well with blue, and Red, but purple always intimidates me.

I want to work up from a dark, medium, light purple, to almost lavender on highest highlight.

Doing something different.

• Like 3

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

This has been painful and slow !

Reversing all that mud/muck takes some time, and lots of layers.

I finally got rid of the soup on the figure.

I also discovered that I hit the sides of his face somewhere along the process.

So face has been redone (you do know how much I enjoy painting faces OVER...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).

So peace has returned to the painting desk, and I am prepping for the next stage.

post-12655-0-02477000-1420565707_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-70247300-1420565708_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-38812200-1420565709_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I was going to title this "When a horse becomes a NAG"...

I have been wrestling with this horse for hours...think I got it into its stall now.

Color was just NOT sitting right with me, and the more I played with it the worse it got.

I think I tamed it, but I know it was me.  I didn't like the brush strokes, and how it was feeling.

So Now I just need to add the other elements, and start getting to the fun part.

It will start to fall together once I get into that stage.

Added some color to the shield, and beginning to break up that color mass.

Its coming along now.

post-12655-0-83327000-1420649346_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-53924600-1420649347_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-25090500-1420649348_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-92159300-1420649348_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Finally (as the temperatures reverse and start plunging down to 8F (-13C) tonight.;

I got some color in there,. Now Galahad is beginning to look like something I can

continue working on.  The reddish reins will go to brown (since that is a Cavalry brown on them).

Things are now beginning to balance, and there is a building sense of excitement !

Here is where he is now.

post-12655-0-37302100-1420655100_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-14389600-1420655101_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-78585800-1420655101_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I like the vibrancy you've added...but now I want to paint him up in dutch master style dark tones :p

Oh No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuckle, funny Cash, it is amazing how pervasive that dark, moody color was...

Like a portrait of Charles II, of king Phillip by Vallesquez.. Down the road I may do one in dark browns, dark reds, grays, and shocking white as highlights.

• Like 2

I've been wanting to do something like that anyway, I've been studying a lot of Karol Rudyk's stuff, he's probably my current favorite painter, which influenced some of the darker feel of Rollo.

• Like 2

Finally got that yellow tint out of that horse color.

Its been driving me nuts since it went that route.

Mixed up some ginger cookie, linen white, and tanned leather to wipe it out.

Now I have to repaint horses eyes (not a big deal) since they are so small.

Bringing the shadows into play now. 

Hope you can see where this is going now.

post-12655-0-46565600-1420738134_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-20308600-1420738135_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-86358100-1420738135_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-64730000-1420738136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 7

Finally; my color palette is co-operating with me !

Since I have changed color scheme's twice on this miniature; it has

taken a while to get a palette with the colors I WANT on it..

(There is a reason you NEVER change horses in the middle of a stream ! )...

What a pain.  Everything has been out of whack all week.

I finally just removed all paints from the "In use area" put them away, and started

out all over again..one by one.  That seems to have purged the confusion.

I like how that purple tunic turned out.  Now to go into clean up mode, and

"fix" what needs fixin !

post-12655-0-35445500-1420820755_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-16108000-1420820756_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-80991200-1420820756_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-49821800-1420820757_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I agree with your self-assessment, Jay! The new color palette is much better and you've done a great job recovering this little piece.

• Like 1

Nice job on the figure so far.  Are you going for a Belgian look on the horse?  If so, here's reference of ours that might be of use:

https://flic.kr/p/jTc5zK

We have a Clydesdale as well, and have owned a Shire in the past so if you need horse reference pictures, just let me know (or go poke around the Flickr album)

Michael

P.S.  FWIW the only time I've ever seen a horse in the stance depicted in the this figure, they're taking a whizz.  ;)

Edited by Mckenna35
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reference photos.. and they are perfect !!!!

I was wondering why I was looking at that horse's stance saying I'm not happy with this "pose"...

I used to ride also !  (re-phrase...I attempted to ride, I was a terrific faller !)

I used to think I was a Clydesdale, it turned out I was more of a thoroughbred).

Thanks for the chuckle.

• Like 1

Ginger Cookie and Clouded Sea are taking over the world.

I'm still a Ben Komets zombie "......daaaaarrrrkkkk seaaaaaaa bluuuuuuuuuuueeeeee......."

• Like 2