Sign in to follow this  
Kharsin

Mothers: Year of the Giants Diorama Entry

Very nice! I like it. The snow does look a bit gloopy but overall the scene draws the eye away from that. Snow does form cracks like that usually when it warms and then a sudden freeze comes along. The only thing that bothers me is that I find it hard to believe she would have had her eggs out in the open like this. A minor issue. I still like it.

I have been following your progress on this and I think it came out amazingly well. You should be very proud ;). Love the overall effect nothing looks out of place or forced ;)

WOW! Eggs are genius and i like the colors on the frost wyrm.

If you want you could get some model snow (several options, but i used model railroad stuff from Hobby Lobby). Put a little white glue on your existing snow and sprinkle the ground model snow on it.

Hahahaha, thanks guys (and gals!) I definitely appreciate the input. There are several request for a Kaya close up, but I didn't include one because she got plenty of attention here. I was going to get a few, but the tree (and my set up) made it difficult to get a few. I do have a few more shots (a lot actually) that I could put up. Hmmmm.....

• Like 3

Bran (a.k.a.: The Ugly Baby) This is an extreme close up, as evidenced by the size of the birch pod leaves. I'd tried to get an above shot of him, but couldn't due to the angle of the tree and where the branches fell. It's also evidence of my meager sculpting skills. LOL!

post-12973-0-15083100-1420085645_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-08385300-1420085647_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-39769500-1420085648_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

An excellent diorama, and congratulations on making it into the store! :bday: :bday:

Another option for snow is plain ol' Liquitex modeling paste that you can pick up at any Hobby Lobby type store.  I've never had an issue with it cracking and once it sets you can paint it or add whatever effects you want over the top.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      First time showing something off on the forums! Normally only post to my instagram @MoonglowMinis

Had a blast painting this one up! Had to tap into my painterly side to get the glow effect I wanted and to transition the plating down to the end of the tail where there was no sculpted detail. 

Hope you all like it!

• By Kharsin
      So I'm branching out from typical miniatures and trying something new. My son has really been into Hotwheels lately, and it turns out that there's an entire Hotwheels Customization culture out there much like the minis we like to paint. I put two and two together and figured why not try it out? So, here's the WIP (some of it at least) of the Fairlady 2000 I'm currently working on. Besides, if it ends up horribly, Hotwheels are only .94 cents at Wally World 

Unfortunately, I got the bright idea to WIP after I was pretty much done painting as much as I'm going to on the first go-round. However, here's the comparison between the Yellow "stock" Datsun and the Orangy one I've painted.

Also, the various components of the build that I've worked on.

Finally, the installing of new axles and Red Rider wheels found on the more "premium" versions of Hotwheels. I may use the donor truck as a future "distressed" diorama if I feel froggy enough. The floorboard is also painted a metal shade as you can kind of see it in the interior if you bother to try to see it. I just finished gluing the axles and wheels in about five minutes ago, so it'll have to sit for a bit to dry. If all goes well, I'll have completed my first custom Hotwheel. I'll be able to zoom across the table in a one of a kind upgrade. WHHHEEEEEEEEE!!!! 

I'll post final pics after everything's dry and fitted. Thank you for checking it out!

-K

P.S.: Thos pics are tiny! I'll post larger ones in the Show Off when it's done. I apologize for the oversight 
    • By Kharsin
      Okay, last one for this evening. These guys are actually completions from a project I started back in 2014 called
      HASSLEFIGHTER 2014!!!!
      and mostly finished sometime this past year. I think the motivation was for "A Fist Full of Kung-Fu" which, of course, we still haven't played. At any rate, it's good to mark a shelf of shame project *mostly* complete. I played a lot of Double Dragon as a kid, and these guys bring me back there.

Ah Nostalgia! Thank you for viewing!

-K

• By Kharsin
      Figured I'd drop a few more unprofessional pics of the few things I've done in the last year. I painted this wizard for my son to use in a potential game of Frosthaven that we still haven't been able to play. At any rate, I like how he turned out and my son likes his owl.

I really need to get my light tent set up as the simple desk light doesn't do anything for these mins.... LOL!

-K

• By Kharsin
      Okay! I'm starting this post to keep track of the miniatures I've painted in one place. Just ignore if you've seen them already! 

1. Barrow Rat (LTPK1) Finished (11.14.2013)

2. (Actually don't have this one on this board! LOL!)  06023: Anhurian Swordsmen ???

3. 02924: Bertok, Barbarian (LTPK4) Finished (11.18.2013)

4. P02741A: Nymph (LTPK4) Finished (11.21.2013)

5 & 6. 02811: Dain Deepaxe & 02823: Rasia, w/Spiked Chain Finished (1.29.2014)

7. 14536: Varaug, Orc Warlord (Alternate Sculpt) WIP & Finished (2.16.2014)

8. 14645: Bladesinger Sister "Phoebe" WIP & Finished (3.4.2014)

9. Jazzy's Garden of Eden WIP
         -  Liriel Finished (3.27.2014)

10.  The Picnic or Something Victorianish... WIP & Finished! (finally!) (4.12.2014)

11. Winter Miniature Exchange: Stonehaven Dwarf Rogue Partial WIP & Finished! (4.19.2014) 

12. 14321: Bow Sister "Nubian Princess" WIP & Finished! (5.1.2014)
            - Special WIP! Building A Better Bowl - Basing tutorial

13. 03473: Khesh Blackscale, Dragonman (Sorry! I got WIP lazy  ) & Finished! (5.17.14)
           - Redemption! (sorta): Lazy Basing WIP

14.  Stonehaven Miniatures Gnome Hoplite (a.k.a.: Pocket Achilles) Finished! (5.26.14)

15.  02689 Kurff the Swift (a.k.a.: The Hero of Speiburg) FAIL! WIP & Finally Finished (11.09.14)   

16.  02981 Lonnia, Female Duelist or "The Fair Spansh Lady" WIP and Finished! (6.23.2014)

17.  50180: Mega-Mutant or "The Fly" Finished! (7.14.2014)

18.  Bombshell Miniatures HS38 Rocket Bike & GhNT Security Bot or "The Race" Finished! (9.7.2014)

19. 14600: Kaya the Reaper or "Year of the Giants: Part I" WIP and Finished! (10.4.2014)
         - Year of the Giants: Part Deaux! WIP
         - Year of the Giants Diorama: Mothers Finished! (12.31.2014)
         - ReaperCon 2015 Silver!!! Yay!

20. 02902: Slithe Queen or "Low Tide" [Fall Exchange Mini] Partial WIP & Finished! 

21. Hasslefighter 2014 WIP PAUSED (11.8.14)
            - HFGGL4 Fist of Golgo (i.e.: Billy)
            - HFGGL8A Bobby Van Li (i.e.: Williams)
            - HFC008 Kado 

22. 01325 Bailey Silverbell Finished! (11.8.2014)
            - Official 1st Anniversary of Painting Mini! Yay!     
            - ReaperCon 2015 Silver!!! 

23. Target Acquired: Hasslefree's HFSF 109 "Smudgester" WIP & Finished! (11.21.2014)
            - ReaperCon 2015 Bronze!

24. The Freaking Dungeon!!! (a.k.a.: Super Dungeon Explorer) WIP

25.  Dr. Who Diorama (Present for Haden) WIP & Finished! (12.24.2014)

26. Bones Beauty Pageant: "Little Friend" (Cassie, Gnome Wizard) WIP & Finished! (2.7.2015)

27. "Never Toss A Dwarf" or 60004: Harsk, Iconic Male Dwarf Ranger WIP & Finished! (3.2.2015)

28. "She Be Queen!" Spring 2015 Exchange Finished! (4.16.2015)

29. "Speedy the Gobbo" Exercise in "speed" painting Finished! (4.20.2015)

30. Will's Dino Guy or Maj. Johan Emigholtz WIP & Finished! (6.8.2015)

31. Cowboys!: Roland Deschain or 59007: Gunslinger Finished! (4.5.2016)

32.  Spaaacccceeeeee Woooollllvvvvsssssszzzz!!!!!! WIP

33.  Dragons of Fall Latecoming or Marsya's Really Late I'm So Sorry It Took So Long And I Should Be Ashamed Project Finished! (4.2016) 

34. Icewind Gail or Winter Witch 60149 WIP & Finished! (4.9.2016)

35. (ish) Some hood from Hasslefree.... (um, Joe!) Practically Finished (9.11.2018) 

Running Total: 40ish Miniatures Completed! (+ a TARDIS!)

( #10 required 2 minis; #18 required 2 minis; #24 required 2 minis + a custom TARDIS #29 required 3 minis )
        (Please note that the Running Total tabulates actual painted miniatures. The numbers indicate individual
         projects, some of which may have not been completed.)

Also, a list of my continuing struggle of photographing these guys can be found here and here.
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)