Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

I'll take this over for January.

1. Each day (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

2. You each have one day to answer that question before I post the next.

3. After I post the next question, you may no longer answer a previous question.

4. Only I may post questions, but you may submit questions to be posted by me via PM.

5. You do not have to answer a question, obviously, even if you are playing the game. Either simply wait a day without posting or post that you decline to answer (why would be nice).

Link to December's thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58170-getting-to-know-each-other-dec-2014/

Question 1: Who are your heroes and why?

• Like 1
  • Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brothers and sisters in uniform who are deployed/stationed all over the world as we speak.

Also, emergency personnel. Anyone who is running towards a dangerous situation when everyone else is running away from it.

Most celeberties and sports stars haven't done anything to merit the title, IMO.

• Like 5

My mom. She had had what one might call a difficult childhood (a vast understatement), and yet she managed to give her children a good childhood, as well as all the tools we needed to be functional adults. She's an amazing person, and I'm glad to have gotten to known her as a person, rather than just my mother.

• Like 8

Oooh. This is one that baffled my teachers while I was growing up.

Martin Luther King Jr. because he chose to not use violence, fear, or seek to divide. He sought to gain equal rights and to unify our nation. The fact he chose to use civil disobedience to make his point and win what he wanted is something that always stuck with me.

Harriet Tubman because I admired her strength and iron will. I also admired her willingness to stand up for what she believed in and then fight for it any way she could.

I grew up admiring both of those people and even owned a book about her life at one point.

Now I admire soldiers, police, first responders. The people who put their lives on the line to keep us free and safe. There are so many that I can't list them all, but there are many good examples of heroes everyday.

(Just don't expect me to know the various celebrities. Your doomed to disappointment. Bonus is that I neve judge a film by the actor and those don't get enraged about choices for parts. Thus I get to see more good films than many of my friends who do know that stuff)

• Like 4

Martin Luther King Jr. because he chose to not use violence, fear, or seek to divide. He sought to gain equal rights and to unify our nation. The fact he chose to use civil disobedience to make his point and win what he wanted is something that always stuck with me.

Mahatma Gandhi for being King's hero and the one he learned all his tricks from  :;):

• Like 4

I can go with that. It is because of MLK I learned about Gandhi and learned about how he changed things for his country. Truly inspiring people who showed you don't always have to resort to violence to change things.

I gave my fifth grade a baffled look when she was shocked about the people I admired. I failed to see why it should be shocking who I admired, to an extent I still don't but I know why she was shocked and as an adult I would be offended by it.

• Like 1

Q1: My mother.  She taught me what it means to sacrifice for your family and do anything to ensure they have a life better than yours.  She raised my brother and I, to both be well adjusted (arguably), hard working, caring adults by herself.  She worked 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to make sure we had a roof over our heads and food on our table.  I have talked about my father in the past.  She never once said a bad word about the man when I was a child.  She never tried to poison the well.  It wasn't until I became an adult, and formed my own opinion of the man that she talked a little more openly.  And still to this day, she encourages me to try and maintain at least a civil relationship with him.  I only learned as an adult some of the crap she had to deal with, and how truly hard it was for her at times.  She never let us know how close we were to losing the house, or electricity, or being hungry until I was much older.  She never let me be satisfied with "good enough" and always pushed me to be the best person I could achieve - be that as a student, athlete, human being, employee, etc.  She taught me to always aim high with my goals, and we would find a way to make it work.  But she was also hard on me.  At times smothering and controlling.  She probably used corporal punishment a bit more than she should, but I was also a very wild, angry, out of control kid, and needed a VERY firm hand.  I grated at it in my youth, but as an adult, I am grateful that she never stopped trying and always believed in the good in me, and never stopped getting me the help I needed. She gave me hope when I needed it, strength when I felt weak, a crack in the arse when I deserved it, a shoulder to cry on, an ear when I needed to talk.  She was always there.  She still is.  

As a Grandma, she adores and spoils the kids rotten, but respects the beliefs and wishes of my wife and me.  As a mother-in-law, she is always there to support and help my wife, but is never pushy or intrusive.  They are friends.  And of course, they have the best thing in common, making fun of the stupid crap I do.  They have become even closer after my wife's mother passed away.  They are going out together next week for a painting night.

So yeah, I'm a mama's boy.  And she wears a cape in my eyes.

• Like 10

My brothers and sisters in uniform who are deployed/stationed all over the world as we speak.

Also, emergency personnel. Anyone who is running towards a dangerous situation when everyone else is running away from it.

Most celeberties and sports stars haven't done anything to merit the title, IMO.

This.

• Like 6

My heroes are a group of people:

People who manage to make a good living doing what they love and loving what they do. (I haven't quite gotten the knack of that one yet. I like what I do, but I wouldn't say I love it.)

And to echo what Qwyk said: my Mother. Totally a mamma's boy. She raised me, and taught me (almost) everything I know.

• Like 1

Maybe haven't thought about this question in a while (it's a pretty standard kind of 'get-to-know-you' question), but I'd say my wife. I've made a lot of achievements in the last three years that I'm sure I wouldn't have done without her support and encouragement.

• Like 2

I don't have too many personal heroes, but given that I have a history degree and concentrated on the middle ages, one of my personal heroes is the great French Historian Marc Bloch.

In summary:

-He was a great historian that helped form the basis of the Annales school of historical inquiry

-fought for the French Army in WWI

-Fought again for the French Army in WWII

-After the defeat of France and his demobilization, eventually joined the French underground, captured by the Vichy French police, turned over to the Gestapo in1944 and was shot after torture.

He had a rocky relationship with his son, and could be abrasive so I understand, so not a perfect man. But nonetheless a historian that made history, in a sense.

Damon.

I have a number of them. All for a variety of reasons. I think I can settle on two for today's post. 

For all his faults, my dad is a hero of mine. I try my best to avoid his faults while aspiring to replicate his good qualities. This has been more of a focus since his TBI from a car accident a few years ago. Being one of his guardians has changed my perspective on the world.

My wife. She is the most caring person that I know. She wears her emotions on the outside, but genuinely cares about everyone. EVERYONE. Especially our family. It is both a gift and a curse for her and I try to ascribe to finding ways to appreciate this quality as much as I can.

• Like 1

Tank Man.

Michael Faraday.

Edmond Halley.

Many, I guess. There are a lot of people in this world who saw the truth and had to work hard and persevere when nobody else around them could see it themselves. Like lights alone in the dark. Because they cared, our lives are better.

• Like 1