Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for January 8th:

What is your favorite foreign thing/culture/food/product?

Hm ... tough to choose just ONE... but if I had to, it'd be egg rolls. Although sushi is a close second.

Wow - so hard to choose just one.

Ultimately though, I'd have to say American simply because my favourite food is a nice, juicy medium-rare New York Strip.

It's now at the stage where I force myself to avoid steaks unless I am in a fancy steak restaurant (and I only go to those now on special occasions) as otherwise, I would end up eating waaaay too much meat.

It has to be medium-rare though.  If I cut into that sucker and there isn't a hint of blood then ... then ... well, lets just say - either way, there WILL be blood. :grr:

I can't choose one. And isn't it funny how a lot of us picked foods?

Favorite foreign thing, food, culture, product....

Chinese meat buns, Chao sio bao. We just called them Baos. I am not big on pork, I'll do bacon and sausage but pork has never been a huge part of my diet.

My uncle was king foodie, and an amazing chef. While he was going through treatment, his taste buds and even sense of smell were pretty much destroyed so I got to be his personal taste tester.

As a treat, he'd go to China Town when he had the energy and buy a big box of Baos for the martial arts studio he ran and share them with the students. The breading was always warm, but never soggy and reminded me of Hawaiian bread and once you bit into it and tasted the sweet pork inside....YUM!!!

So, its my favorite foreign food with one of my favorite memories.

• Like 5

Sushi is pretty great, and I've been told by a friend of mine that Dunedin has some of the best sushi in the country. Ultimately though, I'd have to go with Korean as my favourite foreign cuisine. Though I do love me a taco, too.

Otherwise, I'm trying to get my hands on a bunch of American food and drink whenever I can in preparation for April. I've apparently developed a taste for root beer, which is annoying because it's actually quite hard to find right now.

Question for January 8th:

What is your favorite foreign thing/culture/food/product?

I dunno if it's really my favorite, but every time I go into a Chinese restaurant for the first time, I order the General Tso's Chicken. It's the dish I order most often (by far), and it's usually a good measure of how good the restaurant's cooking is.

I also have a weakness for Vegemite, though I suspect it's best when eaten rarely.

Favorite import? My wife.

Favorite imported (non-wife) item? Korean food. Well, okay, that comes with my wife, too.

I've apparently developed a taste for root beer, which is annoying because it's actually quite hard to find right now.

Your statement confuses me. Is root beer a strictly American phenomenon? (I recommend Barq's or Saranac 1888 Tavern Root Beer.)

• Like 5

Studio Ghibli.

I can mind eat their movies repeatedly, for ever and ever.

I can even mindlessly zone out to the game that they helped create (Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch).

Food is fleeting. Movies can be repeated. ^_^

Edit: Left out a word :blush:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 3

Question for January 9th:

What is your favorite place to be or go?

With my family, playing with my kids.

Bed.

Oh, that is a tough answer to beat. I could go there now, for sure.

• Like 4

The woods/hills/mountains.  I'm not terrible picky about the particular place, but I really like being out with the trees and rocks, even if it is just the part with the little cliff and pond near my house.

• Like 2

Depends on my mood more than anything. Sometimes I like to go to various outdoor spots, sometimes I want to shop, sometimes I was to stay home.

So basically it all depends on mood on any given day, though it is rarely had to convince me to go hiking so long as it is not freezing out or really nasty weather

• Like 1