Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traveling for me means disruption of my hobby time! I have so many projects going right now, I can barely move on my workbench! I forcibly tabled a bunch of projects, in fact (with what is going on with Warhammer) to make room for projects I had on the back burner. This week I finally was able to settle back into a routine after the chaos of the holidays...

Damon.

What's going on with Warhammer?  I don't really follow it since the last games I've played by them were 40K (Rogue Trader) and Mordheim. 

• Like 1

Favourite place to go and be. Vancouver Island. It's my other home. Standing in the Campbell River with a salmon on my line, or camping beneath the towering firs and cedars, Or just lounging in the back yard by the fire pit with my 'other brother' and  his wife and girls. 

• Like 1

What's going on with Warhammer?  I don't really follow it since the last games I've played by them were 40K (Rogue Trader) and Mordheim.

Strong rumors that ALL of the Warhammer Fantasy armies are going to be binned in favor of 6 new factions. Also rumors that they are switching to a cycle involving a handful of "permanent" core troops, with a revolving door of "limited release" add-on troops or models (that might last in release for 6mo or a year, before being retired for the next new thing). It's all rumors so might be completely untrue. But nonetheless there is a tremendous amount of FUD in the WHFB community right now, that creates a disincetive for me to either want to work on projects, and am very conflicted whether I should spend money with GW to get the final stuff I want, or to just go with alternative manufacturers/games (Like Avatars of War). That's all I'll comment on now to prevent a thread derail, and encourage others not to derail either!

Nonetheless, this did make me get back to historical projects I had shoved to the back of the paint desk, like the 15mm Gauls I had been working on, and of course the Reaper Bones I've been collecting for our new D&D 5e campaign. Just need to get a new supply of bases...

Damon.

• Like 4

There's a small handful that are basically tied for first place...

Obviously home, since that's where the Jack Cave is, with all my stuff set up the way I want it.

Avery Point - the UCONN extension campus where I went to college... The campus was originally an 18th century manor house set out on a point in Long Island Sound, almost completely surrounded by water. It's where I do most of my nature photography and a lot of my better poems were written while sitting out on the rocks there. More than any other place in the world, being there  calms my soul.

Rocky Horror - whether at a theatre, a road show or a convention, I love so much about the people, the performing and so many other things about it that I could write a book.

Ren Faire - another place/thing with just such good energy... I had a discussion once with one of the vendors at the local faire about why somebody would come back every single weekend, to eat the same food and see the same show, and I summed it all up in one sentence: These are my people...

And finally, just Nature in general....

• Like 3

Depends on my mood more than anything. Sometimes I like to go to various outdoor spots, sometimes I want to shop, sometimes I was to stay home.

So basically it all depends on mood on any given day, though it is rarely had to convince me to go hiking so long as it is not freezing out or really nasty weather

Pretty much this.

I've apparently developed a taste for root beer, which is annoying because it's actually quite hard to find right now.

Your statement confuses me. Is root beer a strictly American phenomenon? (I recommend Barq's or Saranac 1888 Tavern Root Beer.)

Okay, so I can't speak for other countries I guess, but it's something that's never caught on over here. There's pretty much just A&W available from several retailers and supermarkets that stock US and UK food and drink, but availability is pretty erratic. Cherry cola is the same, they tried launching it in NZ in the early nineties and it failed miserably. Now you can only get it imported.

Also, slightly jealous of the Korean wife and food, though me and mine sometimes do Korean home cooking anyway. Love making a big feed of japchae.

So, my favourite place? Home, I think. I (usually) don't have to wear pants, all my cool stuff is here and there's good company with wife and the cats.

I'm here, pretty much. Colorado is a beautiful place.

Still tempted to try and wrangle Colorado into my US trip, particularly as I have a cousin in Denver that I've never really met.

Edited by Dai-Mongar

I'm going to interpret this one as favorite place to go that still exists, since a lot of stuff that would previously have been on my list of favorite places are kind of gone at the moment.

New Holland Brewing Company's bar in downtown Holland MI. The beer is very good there, the food is pretty good, and it is the first bar I ever bought a drink at legally. By coincidence their previous location was the first bar I ever bought a drink at illegally, one day before my 21st birthday.

• Like 2

Birch Beer is da bomb! My favorite carbonated beverage, hands down. Just avoid the Pennsylvania Dutch brand birch beer, complete crap. My preferences are Kutztown Bottling Works brand clear Birch Beer, A-treat Birch Beer, and (surprisingly) Weiss brand birch beer, in that order. Might be hard to find as both Kutztown and A-treat are IIRC regional brands (and the K-town stuff might not be available outside PA).

damon.