Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

Question for January 9th:What is your favorite place to be or go?

Paint Club.

I so want one of these near me....

Home has it for me. I like to travel (and with my job it's a good thing) but I love to be home with my minis and my paints and toys...

• Like 2
  • Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint Club.

Home has it for me. I like to travel (and with my job it's a good thing) but I love to be home with my minis and my paints and toys...

I struggle to get time to go paint at the game store, but honestly, I haven't gotten much out of it when I have gone. It has seemed like a combination of WH40K fanatics that cannot be reasoned with about painting techniques and supplies (not all are like this, just most that I have met), and RPG grognards that spend the whole time complaining in the "get off my lawn" style.

To top it off, quality painters seem rather rare. My main reason for going is to learn. The social experience is secondary for me with this one. I feel as though my skills are on par with most of the best I have met at the store...which is saying a lot because my skill is not exactly something to write home about.

I prefer to paint at home. *bonus for not having to travel with paint supplies*

• Like 3

Paint Club.

I struggle to get time to go paint at the game store, but honestly, I haven't gotten much out of it when I have gone. It has seemed like a combination of WH40K fanatics that cannot be reasoned with about painting techniques and supplies (not all are like this, just most that I have met), and RPG grognards that spend the whole time complaining in the "get off my lawn" style.

To top it off, quality painters seem rather rare. My main reason for going is to learn. The social experience is secondary for me with this one. I feel as though my skills are on par with most of the best I have met at the store...which is saying a lot because my skill is not exactly something to write home about.

I prefer to paint at home. *bonus for not having to travel with paint supplies*

I haven't visited one of our "Game Days," where they have a paint class, but I'd love to try to get a paint club going out here...

I checked on the local forums, though, and no one else seemed interested. Hawaii sucks.

Question for the weekend of January 10th:

What are you doing and/or what have you done this weekend?

I worked Friday, but got quite a bit of painting finished that morning. This morning, I have the beginnings of a cold so I may grab a nap and get some painting done before I have to go into work again at night. Sunday, I'm off so I'll finish up some painting and start some basing experiments.

Edit: and do laundry. @[email protected]

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 3

Woke up early and made French toast before Nissiana goes off to teach Shakespeare to ten-year-olds.

Confession: I can rock a turkey, I make phenomenal chili; my lasagna is awesome; I've taught a number of cooking classes on a wide range of topics (that was my gig for about three years). This is the first time I've made French toast.

In ninety minutes or thereabouts, some friends will be over to play Warmahordes. I'll play Retribution for the first time.

Tomorrow, the current plan is to paint for most of the day (which means post-warmahordes is probably paint-room-cleanup, today).

• Like 3

House cleaning, continue unpacking, and grocery shopping. For fun stuff, I'm going to go back to the FLGS I visited last weekend; they have a paint and take every Saturday, so I'm gonna go check that out. Also, work on my characters for the PBP's I'm in, and maybe work on some hobby stuff at home, too.

• Like 1

Friday: after work I swung by and picked up flowers for my wife since I drove instead of carpool like usual. We then went to get fish tacos as a family. Then we picked up a birthday present for a one year old and finally I painted after bedtime for too long.

Saturday: up at seven despite bed at two. So throat is back. I am dumb... but Wyrmgear looks good. I have Saturday School to teach. Then we have the one year old's party. Then my mom's for dinner. If timing is reasonable I will finish Wyrmgear after. This is unlikely.

Sunday: lesson planning and D&D dominate this day. 11-5 is when we play (and I hopefully sure off Wyrmgear). Normally my lesson planning is after tutoring on Saturdays but that doesn't work this week.

• Like 2

Our baby who had been sleeping 12 hour stretches at night the last two months decided to wake up every 2-3 hours last night. So I'll probably stay home and relax today, then go running tomorrow plus make something special for mom in laws birthday.

Who knows, might even get some painting done.

• Like 1

Question for the weekend of January 10th:

What are you doing and/or what have you done this weekend?

1. Calling the library to explain that no, we don't know where the insert to the video game we borrowed went, because the kids never opened and played it.

2. Fixing the handle on the back of the car's driver's seat, because half of it came loose.

3. Playing a long-promised game of Talisman with the kids - whoops, there goes half the day.

4. Painting Cthulhu.

5. And apparently, now, teaching my wife how to open a Pillsbury biscuit can. Gotta go!

• Like 4

Working early mornings through the weekend. Got a little painting time in yesterday afternoon which was nice, helped make the fish pie for dinner, had some ginger cordial with the wife outside on our new bench seat while the cats played in the garden and generally enjoyed some wonderful summer weather.

Pretty good chance of being able to finish early today. I plan to do some more painting this afternoon as well, and probably just use up some of the various leftovers in the fridge for dinner. I've got some raspberry wheat beer in the fridge that I might just partake in as well.

• Like 1