Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

Friday, I watched the Princess Bride with my kids and enjoyed a lovely ham and bean soup.

Saturday I drove to CT and slung some paint with friends.

Saturday night, I spent curled up in a ball vomiting violently into a garbage can, and in agony as all my joints were enflamed.  Kids had been sick earlier in the week.  As always, my body like to wait until the weekend before I get sick.

Sunday I woke up shaky and sore, but that didn't stop me from getting my morning coffee.  Family doesn't want to deal with me sick AND decaffeinated.  Stomach tolerated the coffee, so I had some cold pizza.  To hell with that BRAT diet stuff.  If I am going to be sick again, I will at least enjoy it going in since it's all gonna taste like hell coming back up.  Stomach wasn't thrilled, but it did contain the pizza.  Now I am siting watching football and resting.  I'm never cold, but I am still in my flannel PJs, with heavy wool socks and long underwear under a blanket on the couch.  And still shivering on occasion.  We just took down the Xmas tree.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 2
  • Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping to paint for the first time in...something like two and a half years. Don't have much on hand to work with, but it's better than the nothing I was stuck with for most of that period, so figure it's time to see how much I remember...

*offers encouragement and moral support*

Maybe start a WIP thread and we can cheer you on.

Thanks! I decided to go for it: Vil-hatarn Remembers How to Paint

• Like 5

Question for January 9th:

What is your favorite place to be or go?

Travel-wise, it has to be the Disneyland Resort. I love amusement parks and I love being child-like and doing whimsical things. My husband and I spent half our honeymoon there (the other half was in Maui, HI)

Event-wise, gotta be VCON. I love that convention, the guests, the people, the art, the merchandise. I look forward to it every year, whether I'm involved with the organization or not.

Every-day-wise, at home, working on hobbies of one kind or another (whether that's at the computer planning RPGs, following up on convention emails, doodling in Photoshop, Illustrator or Flash, or sitting at a table painting minis, sketching, working on a jigsaw puzzle)

Question for the weekend of January 10th:

What are you doing and/or what have you done this weekend?

Friday - came home early after battling the day with a killer sinus headache and went to bed. Got up so I could eat something at 10pm and went back to bed.

Saturday - forgot to set my alarm, woke up at 10a instead of 9a and still had a headache. Had a shower, made offspring get up and told to have a fast shower (not an easy task for a 16 year old male!) since the 11a errand was getting him to his Math tutor. Rescheduled the 10:30a errand for 11:15a. Ran errands, came home, reminded hubby offspring needed to be picked up at 1p and went back to bed.  Woke up at some point in the evening, headache still around but lessened. Made myself get up to eat and then stayed up for a few hours.

Sunday - got up at 8:30a with no headache! (Joy!) Mum picked me up at 9:15a and we went to a brunch for her sorority's founder's day[1]. Helped her sell tickets for the alumnae charity raffle, ate yummy food, listened to a few speeches, saw my mum burst into tears when the other alumnae honoured her loyal dedication to the sorority over the past 50+ years by creating a new award named after her to be awarded annually to collegiates who exemplify the qualities she has, and then won two prizes in the raffle - a copy of the Apples to Apples game and a Chinese silk embroidery of a kitten examining either a grasshopper or a mantis.

[1] My mum is an Alpha Omicron Pi. I am not - I'm an Alpha Phi - because the AOII chapter at the University of British Columbia was shut down due to reduced numbers a few years before I started university. They were able to recolonize at UBC four years ago.

Chinese Silk Embroidery. The image is the same, but in mirror image, on the back. I don't know how they do that, since regular embroidery leaves a mess of threads on the back side. Someone at the brunch told me that there are some that have a different image on the opposite side!

10356224_10153100153980815_2290439398654

Came home, started some laundry, lay down for a nap, got up, put laundry in the dryer, ate dinner and am now prowling the Reaper forums.

So, it started off poorly but ended well.  ^_^

• Like 5

1. Calling the library to explain that no, we don't know where the insert to the video game we borrowed went, because the kids never opened and played it.

2. Fixing the handle on the back of the car's driver's seat, because half of it came loose.

3. Playing a long-promised game of Talisman with the kids - whoops, there goes half the day.

4. Painting Cthulhu.

5. And apparently, now, teaching my wife how to open a Pillsbury biscuit can. Gotta go!

I used to have that problem; then I got my copy of Legendary and that's the requested game now.
I should look for a good medium-length board game to play. We have Quarriors! and King of Tokyo at the short end, and Talisman at the other, but nothing in between.

I've been teaching them to be ready for their turn, and to make their moves quickly; we also have a few house rules to speed up the game -- the latest is: "If there is any question about a card or rule, interpret it in the most powerful, broken way possible."

Still, we called the game after three hours, with no one quite strong enough to pass the Portal of Power. The Adventure deck was just not turning up enough enemies for anyone this time. So the game ended the usual way -- everyone counted up their strength, craft, life, fate, gold, followers and possessions, and the one with the most won.

And I got all five items on my weekend list checked off!

EDIT: I also love the way people jump the first time that biscuit can pops open on them!

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 2

Chinese Silk Embroidery. The image is the same, but in mirror image, on the back. I don't know how they do that, since regular embroidery leaves a mess of threads on the back side. Someone at the brunch told me that there are some that have a different image on the opposite side!

So, it started off poorly but ended well.  ^_^

Glad you're feeling better.

There are ways of embroidery that involve no knots and no loose threads. The long end of the thread is slowly covered by the stitches. It's a virtuoso thing, especially with small elements where it's harder to hide the threads.

• Like 2

Well, we had planned on taking our Christmas tree down (supposed to come down on Jan. 6, but we were busy). Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead we played videos games (no surprise there), went to see Into the Woods with my dad (finally!), I worked on minis, and we both did some chores. Which did not include taking the tree down. <_<

• Like 3

Carcassone is a good medium length game, easy to learn and easy to play.

I was also going to suggest this. Carcassonne is easily in my top five favorite games, and quite easy to learn.

7Wonders is also a good medium-length game...the first few times you play it tends to be up to two hours (with seven people; less with only 4), but once you know how it works, it should top out at under an hour.

• Like 1

I was also going to suggest this. Carcassonne is easily in my top five favorite games, and quite easy to learn.

7Wonders is also a good medium-length game...the first few times you play it tends to be up to two hours (with seven people; less with only 4), but once you know how it works, it should top out at under an hour.

Pandemic. Forbidden Island. Settlers of Catan. DC Deck Building Game.

Some of the ones mentioned are episodes on TableTop and worth a watch.

• Like 3

Pandemic. Forbidden Island. Settlers of Catan. DC Deck Building Game.

Some of the ones mentioned are episodes on TableTop and worth a watch.

Pandemic is great! Also, at least with two players, not so soul-crushingly hard to win as I had been led to believe.

• Like 2

I worked on this:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58747-groupopen-dsm-wips-stephanie-law-masterworks/?p=1036599

AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL weekend.  It was awesome to really concentrate on one model from start to finish.  She still isn't done but she is 95% done.  I need to figure out how to take good pictures though because these suck.  My camera and I just can't seem to get dialed in.  The pics are either blown out with -2 exposure compensation or are too dark, blurry noisy or otherwise somehow crappy.  gonna try again tonight.  I really want good pics of her face as she is actually quite nicely done.

• Like 5

I actually knew a lady who could do that (she also made this gorgeous 16th century Spanish gown, hand embroidered all the florals with freakin' statin stitch! insane). Her skills were the sort that would make a normal gown cost about 10K more, but she was dirt poor, go figure. She should have moved to Paris and worked for the couture houses.

In theory it's not terribly hard, you basically embroider over your ends so the thread doesn't fall out. In practice it's maddeningly frustrating and annoying, and unless you're a princess or something, with nothing to do (seriously, there's too many books to read, minis to paint, etc etc, to spend that much time on embroidery) I can't imagine ever wanting to do that sort of thing to pass the time. Heck, just doing normal embroidery makes me sleepy unless I have something else occupying my brain :lol:

• Like 3