Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the weirdest thing to happen to you lately?

On the Thruway headed for paint day, we saw an unmarked police car speed onto the median to enter the opposite lanes; then a couple miles later there was a car driving east in the westbound lanes.

Luckily the day got less weird.

• Like 1

Weirdest thing lately: 

My Flight home from christmas - My family got to the Idaho  airport at 730am only to be told that the flight would have a 2 hour delay.

with a 6 yr old and a baby, this was going to be a rough day for us. 

Then they started asking people with connecting flights to report to the desk

Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, New York, Nevada, San Francisco, ... Cancune.  14 connecting flights total. 

After a while the Airline announced that they couldn't do it.  This plane was a lynch pin that would create cascading delays through the county. 

My flight was returned to its original departure time.  "Its not logistically possible to leave on time, but if everybody would hurry up an get on the plane, we will take off as soon as possible." 

we left 8 minutes late. 

• Like 6

On the Thruway headed for paint day, we saw an unmarked police car speed onto the median to enter the opposite lanes; then a couple miles later there was a car driving east in the westbound lanes.

Hey, I actually know what the Thruway is. That's weird, right? Can I count that?

• Like 5

Hey, I actually know what the Thruway is. That's weird, right? Can I count that?

The fact that "The Thruway" indicates two, distinct, perpendicular highways should count for something. ::P:

For myself, the best I can do is coincidental:

I mentioned elsewhere that I am taking an art class at the MFA in Boston. One of the other students turns out to be a recent college graduate that recognized me from a tech talk I gave at a recruiting event. It was a little odd to be recognized. I felt bad for not recognizing her in return. (Further coincidence: She is starting work at the same tech company as another class member in a few weeks.)

Not much, I know. It's been a slow couple of weeks.

• Like 3

Question for the weekend of January 10th:

What are you doing and/or what have you done this weekend?

Added to a letter, watched an installment of Downtown Abbey, had too much breakfast on Sunday, worked on a Dwarf Cleric character, got far too much sleep on Saturday — not in that order, obviously.

In short: nothing much.

• Like 1

Question for January 12th:

The Ghost in the Gateway

I am blessed, or perhaps cursed, with an electric gate for the driveway. (For Nocturne or Beagle: the private drive from garage to street which in this case wraps around one side of the house.)

The electric gate completes the fencing of the backyard which would otherwise be broken by the drive. It has a safety feature. It will stop and reverse direction if the gate encounters something blocking closure.

Last week it kept doing that—except—there was no one and nothing there. It would get to 80% closed, halt, and open back up.

It is operated with a RF remote. Best I could do was halt it 3/4s closed. The gate ceased this weirdness two days ago.

I did nothing to "fix" the gate. No idea why it happened or ceased.

:blink::mellow:

• Like 3

Last week it kept doing that—except—there was no one and nothing there. It would get to 80% closed, halt, and open back up.

It is operated with a RF remote. Best I could do was halt it 3/4s closed. The gate ceased this weirdness two days ago.

I did nothing to "fix" the gate. No idea why it happened or ceased.

There should be a sensor so it doesn't close on someone, my garage door has two; one on either side of the door. Something as simple as a leaf in the way will stop it, and it could easily blow away a couple days later. Or there could be a short in one of the units (this also happened to mine).

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof :)

edit: oops missed where you said that, hah. Carry on.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 2

While Christmas shopping at our FLGS, the owner asked me if I would do a signing event next time Reaper releases one of my sculpts.  :blink:   I'm not sure how much of a draw River Animals will be (though he said some of my other sculpts have been good sellers). I'm not really sure how to respond to this request.

• Like 14