Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

I had a student lick another student's football in class today. She is a seventh grader (12-13 years old) and not labeled special needs at all.

Is that weird enough?

I'd say so. :blink:

While Christmas shopping at our FLGS, the owner asked me if I would do a signing event next time Reaper releases one of my sculpts.  :blink:   I'm not sure how much of a draw River Animals will be (though he said some of my other sculpts have been good sellers). I'm not really sure how to respond to this request.

i think it sounds kinda cool. Congrats on being famous!

• Like 6
  • Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a couple of weeks after our wedding in November, we got a canvas print of one of the wedding photos in the mail. Nobody said they were getting one for us, it wasn't a photo that we'd shared on facebook and there wasn't a note with it. It just turned up.

• Like 4

While Christmas shopping at our FLGS, the owner asked me if I would do a signing event next time Reaper releases one of my sculpts.  :blink:   I'm not sure how much of a draw River Animals will be (though he said some of my other sculpts have been good sellers). I'm not really sure how to respond to this request.

Yeah, and that is the sur-real part about it, because I'm not.  I was buying a mix of PF and D&D Next books and he commented on how it was a strange mix.  I was buying them so I could ensure that my sculpts conform to the rules of both systems, and for all the great reference art.  So I told him that, which lead him to questioning me more about what I do and which sculpts I have done for Reaper (he has a huge stock of Reaper figs).  Anyway, he got fairly excited about it.

Now I could see it if I were Gene with the Mouselings or Julie or Sandra with their dragons, but who's really that excited about my little animal packs, a wyvern, and one Victorian lady?

• Like 11

Yeah, and that is the sur-real part about it, because I'm not.  I was buying a mix of PF and D&D Next books and he commented on how it was a strange mix.  I was buying them so I could ensure that my sculpts conform to the rules of both systems, and for all the great reference art.  So I told him that, which lead him to questioning me more about what I do and which sculpts I have done for Reaper (he has a huge stock of Reaper figs).  Anyway, he got fairly excited about it.

Now I could see it if I were Gene with the Mouselings or Julie or Sandra with their dragons, but who's really that excited about my little animal packs, a wyvern on a Steeek, and one amazingly amazing Victorian lady?

umm....Us? (FTFY BTW)

• Like 10

I woke up after noon on Saturday. That's about as weird as my life has been in the past while

For me that would be really weird.  I thought sleeping in until 9:00 on Saturday was strange.

sleeping in until after 9:30 is strange for me on any day. Morning chores and all that.

• Like 2

Something weird....I don't have anything weird but I will share a funnyish story.

Its the morning of my sisters wedding. Tensions are high, bad blood has been wiped clean and the 'concoction' was brewed.

It was my own homebrew of a 'Vodka Lemonade' but with moonshine...and a healthy bit. I didn't go light with it, I knew we'd need it.

I didn't have fancy cups, all I had were the big red Dixie cups but in the bridal suite, we were happy. We dressed the bride, sipped our drinks...sipped more of our drinks and managed to get my sister down the aisle. It was beautiful.

I forgot the words to the song I was supposed to sing, during the introduction of the bridal party, I refused to take my partners hand and was quite perturbed when he moved my chair for me.

We mentioned to my brother, who was quite perceptive of the bridal parties unnatural glee, that we had my concoction in the bridal suite.

Now we all made an agreement. Those red cups were NOT supposed to leave the room. The last thing my sister wanted were wedding pictures with red cups in them.

An hour or so later, much dancing and fun, we start to notice red cups on tables and specifically in my brothers hand. To this day we are still unsure of how many he had, but we knew he was trained well.

It came time for the men to catch the garter belt and my brother was the shortest of men that stood waiting. He stood confidently with his red cup of infinite brew. But while he may have imagined himself as a steadfast gentlemen, we all saw a red faced swaying man of inebriety.

We joked and laughed that there was no point in him standing there, he'd never catch it.

The newly wed husband laughed and flung out th garter belt and to our amazement my brother, with cup in hand, casually snatched it out of the air as if it had no velocity.

The party went wild.

There were many red cups in the photo album from that day. @[email protected]

• Like 9

Now I could see it if I were Gene with the Mouselings or Julie or Sandra with their dragons, but who's really that excited about my little animal packs, a wyvern, and one Victorian lady?

Cool, Andy's first random fan boy moment. (RCon doesn't count).

I can't think of anything weird lately.  Is that because nothing weird has happened, or because my definition of weird is filtered through the lens of the submarine force, parenthood and fandom? 

• Like 6

The weirdest thing I have seen lately...

Yesterday afternoon, as I was making dinner.  The neighbors' kids that live behind me smoking pot out their back window, hiding it, poorly.  And being so stoned they didn't notice I saw them, except for one kid, who waved back to me and returned my thumbs up.  Then watching the rest of them try to figure out why the one kid was waving, and then seeing me.  Then watching the rest of them freak out and scurrying.

• Like 9

Question for January 12th:

What is the weirdest thing to happen to you lately?

I worked this last New Years Eve. One of our co-workers brought sparkling cider to the office, set up a meeting before closing for all who worked that day and led a heartfelt toast to our company and the new year, one of the best I've heard.

When she asked if we wanted to add anything to it, I felt the urge to lead the rest in a round of "Auld Lang Syne", but realized I didn't know the words well enough to sing even the chorus. I stayed my tongue, and the moment was lost.

Of course when I got to my desk, I pulled the Wikipedia article, and memorized the actually pretty simple lyrics so I'd never forget them again -- oh hey, it was a Robert Burns poem, how come there are so many famous Scottish poets? -- and head home for the day.

Cue bedtime. We were not going anywhere this year, so I headed to bed around 10:00. A little reading, then I decided to put on my headphones and listen to an episode of a podcast as I wound down to sleep. (The podcast was "Softly Speaking Sanscrit: The Chamber, Finale Part 2", for those who feel the need to verify.)

The end of the podcast came; there was a pause, and then the sounds of an old 72-RPM Victrola recording came over the headphones, with a man singing "Auld Lang Syne" in a heavy Scottish brogue. The sound of fireworks exploded in the distant background.

Then a moment of confusion, as I realized the fireworks were not coming from my headphones, but from outside my window. The neighbors were setting them off, up the street.

I reached for my MP3 player to check the time. It was midnight. 12:00 exactly.

I had started a podcast at the exact right time to play a traditional New Year's song at midnight, and said song was the one I had memorized that day, but did not know was on the recording.

I was so non-plussed, I forgot to sing along, and the moment was lost.

• Like 8

Something weird....I don't have anything weird but I will share a funnyish story.

Its the morning of my sisters wedding. Tensions are high, bad blood has been wiped clean and the 'concoction' was brewed.

It was my own homebrew of a 'Vodka Lemonade' but with moonshine...and a healthy bit. I didn't go light with it, I knew we'd need it.

I didn't have fancy cups, all I had were the big red Dixie cups but in the bridal suite, we were happy. We dressed the bride, sipped our drinks...sipped more of our drinks and managed to get my sister down the aisle. It was beautiful.

I forgot the words to the song I was supposed to sing, during the introduction of the bridal party, I refused to take my partners hand and was quite perturbed when he moved my chair for me.

We mentioned to my brother, who was quite perceptive of the bridal parties unnatural glee, that we had my concoction in the bridal suite.

Now we all made an agreement. Those red cups were NOT supposed to leave the room. The last thing my sister wanted were wedding pictures with red cups in them.

An hour or so later, much dancing and fun, we start to notice red cups on tables and specifically in my brothers hand. To this day we are still unsure of how many he had, but we knew he was trained well.

It came time for the men to catch the garter belt and my brother was the shortest of men that stood waiting. He stood confidently with his red cup of infinite brew. But while he may have imagined himself as a steadfast gentlemen, we all saw a red faced swaying man of inebriety.

We joked and laughed that there was no point in him standing there, he'd never catch it.

The newly wed husband laughed and flung out th garter belt and to our amazement my brother, with cup in hand, casually snatched it out of the air as if it had no velocity.

The party went wild.

There were many red cups in the photo album from that day. @[email protected]

I have it on good authority that when Europeans and Russians want to throw an "American party," there are 3 things that are required:

1. An American flag, prominently displayed. Flag bandannas are often worn.

2. American pop music. Loud.

3. ALL beverages must be served in disposable red plastic cups. 

I find it kind of disturbing that this is the image we've spread across the world...

• Like 10