Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

Froggy the Great

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't think I would survive. Though I think New Zealand could manage to come out relatively unscathed in either a plague outbreak or nuclear war.

In Plague, Inc New Zealand NEVER survives :lol:

Usually it's Madagascar or Iceland.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't think I would survive. Though I think New Zealand could manage to come out relatively unscathed in either a plague outbreak or nuclear war.

There is a GAME for this...?

:blink:::o::wacko::zombie:

• Like 2

Plague, Inc

It's available for both iPhone and Android.  It's a deliciously vicious and fun game.  You design and release a plague on the world.  The objective is to kill off the population.  It has a ton of ways to modify the plague, both at inception and then what you can do once it is released.

The CDC has actually used the modeling at symposiums.

It starts with some traditional bacterial and viral infections.  Then it gets into some engineered diseases.  Then Zombies and Spaceworms.  There are also some simulations using Black Death, etc.

It's a lot of fun to play.

The big trick is finding the happy medium where the infections are highly contagious, but not harmful, so it can get a widespread infection before it gets discovered and the world races to find a cure and shuts down borders.  And then when you get a good saturation rate, you mutate it into something fatal and start killing people off.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 1

Nuclear war is outdated. All our systems are digitally controlled now, worse, they're accessible via the internet. If an enemy wants to take us out that's how they're going to do it. Either by crippling our pathetically out of date broadband system, knocking out our power grid, or launching a sophisticated, organized attack on our internet. If hacking groups put a concerted effort into elfing with the US government, instead of trolling the US consumer, we'd be elfed. But they aren't organized. And for now most foreign governments with the bankroll to organize that sort of effort (like China or Saudi Arabia) seem to value us more as consumers and are content to have their hackers elf with us as consumers.

My brief experience the other night is a case in point. Without the internet, my business was paralyzed. I imagine a great many businesses would have a similar experience.

• Like 1

My brief experience the other night is a case in point. Without the internet, my business was paralyzed. I imagine a great many businesses would have a similar experience.

Hotels once operated totally without internet—ya know—in the before time, when Al Gore was still using training wheels.

You should suggest to corporate they maintain some backup means of functioning.

ETA:

What do folk do when the internet has gone belly up? Might make a decent weekend question... << looks around for Froggy. >>

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

Wait... wouldn't the mutated strain have to reinfect all the people all over again? And if they are already infected, wouldn't the host already have more resistance to that strain? Since the mutation is unlikely to change every antigen (whether bacteria or viral). 

Now it would be somewhat possible for a bacterial infection, to transform already infected people with plasmids, but we have more tools to fight bacterial infections, and unless the original bacteria was something that we would carry almost harmlessly, wouldn't we have already treated those infections? Again building immunity to reinfection?

_-- Whoops sorry went off into real world rant mode ---

I like those sorts of programs but every one my husband shows me doesn't even begin to remotely play by real world rules. I think it would be good if they at least had some basic rules in place for the infectious agents to at within the confines of what is possible. (Viral & bacterial genomes have a size limit. If they wanted to be able to do all that and the proverbial bag of chips, they have to become eukaryotes and develop our DNA management machinery, which... well won't happen. So they have physical limits to the number of proteins (and therefore things they can do)) 

I believe that some of the fantasy simulations without some basic real world limits are what create scares like the Ebola in this country, where people were shutting down schools in Ohio, because someone who may have been minorly contagious flew on an airplane from a nearby airport. wtf.

Could a pandemic like the flu 1918 happen again? Yep.

Would the death toll be as high? Nope.

From what I understand the high death toll in Africa from Ebola is from them not having routine supplies. No sterile saline to rehydrate the people rapidly losing fluids, or maintain hemodynamic support from systemic inflammatory response, or blood products to replace red blood cells or clotting factors. It is speculated that with early adequate supportive care the death toll from Ebola would not be as high. 

The same thing goes for a flu pandemic. It would be more than we would see in a typical year, rich countries with lots of resources would have a lower death toll, but we have made many advances in the last almost 100 years in how to take care of sick people, such that even if we had an event that had the exact same elements/mutations/etc that caused 1918 to happen, it would not have the same impact because of the advances in science and medicine that have been made in the last 100 years.

Remember IV fluids weren't widely available until 1950's. Which is still one of the biggest things we can do to help someone get over a severe viral infection.

-- edit ---

Whoops looks like I continued to rant... sorry about that guys...

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 4

You should suggest to corporate they maintain some backup means of functioning.

We do, supposedly, it's called a downtime report. The thing is, we waste so much paper printing that thing, typically, that we don't print it on a regular basis. The other night, for example, the internet went down at about 12:30am. The last downtime had been run at 5:30pm. All the info in it was useless.

And when your manager can't get it through his head that the front desk uses a ream of paper a day during session and order accordingly, and we keep running out of paper, reports like that become less important in the immediate sense.

The smarter thing, from a networking standpoint, would be to have each hotel's system on a LAN, with a server holding all the data. Then once a night, say, when the business date was rolled, send that information to corporate. The system would be far more stable, you wouldn't end up running it on Explorer, printing would go faster (to print, our computer pings the corporate servers, which then pings us back), and if the internet went out the only thing to be effected would be the ability to authorize credit cards.

But heck, what do I know? I only use the system.

• Like 2

@Thes, that's the trick.  You have to get enough people infected with the non-lethal version, and make it contagious enough that when it starts to mutate into a lethal version, it starts killing off people fast enough to slow the cure, without killing everyone infected before if can properly spread to healthy hosts.

The game also plays out over scaled years.  So it presumably takes into account reinfection rates for the more harmful versions.

There is a GAME for this...?

:blink:::o::wacko::zombie:

Hell, I STILL remember the weekend back in college where my roommate swept Australia clean of all life.

By ACCIDENT!

• Like 1