Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 23:

In the event of an "end of civilization event", I would not survive. I am only alive right now due to modern technology and medicine. :mellow:

Question 24:

I am most proud of holding down a full time job and traveling 5-6 times a year while dealing with the worst (and most time consuming) parts of the reasons behind my answer to question 23. It wasn't easy.

• Like 2

Question for January 26th:

What are you most proud of?

My children, always.  

But most recently:

Getting a second grader who did not know his letters at the start of the school year to read books before Christmas.  He's nowhere near grade level, but he is reading. And more importantly, now he wants to read.  As a first year teacher, I couldn't have asked for a better way to validate my career change.  

• Like 6

Successes in teaching autistic children to work around autism. That, and successes in adjusting behavioral problems in children with behavior disorders. Especially considering every day at 3:30, I have to send them home to the people who screwed them up in the first place.

• Like 7

Many things. 

Being a father and husband in more than just the title take the top spots.

Teaching middle school children to learn how to survive in life in a number of ways. Most recently was today: I had a student commend me for helping her wade through the drama that is becoming homeless. They are bouncing between couches of family and friends and burning many bridges along the way. School is her stability and I am trying to help her see that acting out will do the opposite of help her situation.

• Like 7

You Doc have much to be proud of 

Not as many as I would like. There are failures and there are successes.

Which makes me a failure, because Texas politicians do not accept that some kids don't learn as well as others.

But I takes my successes where I can find 'em.

• Like 3

They need to give politicians a yearly SAT and MAT before they try to write the budget, maybe then we could get some funding for the schools that have to raise the future leaders of our country.

And I do mean raise, I was studying education in college and can tell you it is rarer than it should be the parent that takes the time to acknowledge that they have a kid, much less try to create a functioning member of society from said child.

This rant brought to you courtesy of the U.S. congress.

• Like 4

I am most proud of the fact that I am a (mostly) fully functioning and contributing member of society.

I haven't done anything stupendous like Qwyksilver, Dr.Bedlam (totally NOT a failure) and Talae (as well as many others) but adding up the pluses and minuses in my life, I do believe I come out on the right side of that equation.

• Like 3

My kids.

The fact that between my wife and I we managed to produce two very well adjusted, polite, well mannered, and intelligent young men. All this despite my being gone for 6-9 months at a time, and moving every 3 years.

• Like 1

Technically I missed the question. Didn't look in much Monday. But I took a pretty decent picture today yesterday.

7FF17C10-F632-4EE3-8FAA-4346FCE57AC1_zps

• Like 2