Getting to Know Each Other -- January 2015

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo many regrets. But I think the biggest one was not listening to the financial adviser who came to educate us junior sailors and buying gold when it was $300/oz. Or buying gold when I was in the gulf. Hey, I'm not that thirsty for gold.

you may be surprised to learn that the long term price of gold is pretty well pegged to inflation.  Gold is a very strange investment animal.  Now the price and dividend return on equities is an entirely different story.......

I regret not going to College.

At the time I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, and I'd just wasted two years of my life on A-level courses I didn't enjoy, so I wasn't too keen on even more education, but I now realize what a huge opportunity I missed.

• Like 1

After just spending 4.5 hours shoveling the driveway (3 cars long) and front walk, I really, really regret not getting that snow thrower.

The kids were having too much fun playing outside for me to press gang them into shoveling.  Besides, the snow shovel broke halfway through.  Fortunately I had dug out the where the back up shovel was before the original broke.

• Like 2

I don't regret living in New England.  I love the snow!  I'd just prefer to get my three feet of snow over several snow falls, not all at once.

On the plus side, I will not have a third day off tomorrow, and with more snow (2-4") predicted for Thursday night going into Friday morning, I may not be going back to work until next Monday.

• Like 2

I try not to regret much in my life. Things are pretty great for me right now, and if I'd done things differently who knows what my life could be like? Better? Maybe, but just as possible for it to be much worse.

This is generally how I try to act as well. I have a terrible habit of beating myself up for things I didn't do differently. Luckily, my wife is there to smack some sense into me when I do.

• Like 1

Sometimes when I'm at work and surrounded by well to do corporate types I regret going to art school and having a meager salary and lots of debt. 

But I think if I had some kind of corporate/financial/whatever high paying job I'd probably regret not going to art school. 

Speaking as a corporate type who can't paint very well - you have no idea how much that statement resonates!

As to things I regret - there are many but I'm not going to post any stories.  I think its important to keep that feeling of regret as that feeling is a key part in making yourself want to be a better person.  However, I do try to avoid dwelling on those regrets and I do consciously try to avoid thinking "If only I could do things differently".

• Like 1

After getting a truly spirit cracking surprise last year and some major soul searching, I can definitely say I regret nothing in my life.

I don't know if I would repeat it buck nekked, on fire while wearing red clown shoes though... that would be unnecessarily painful ::P:

<edited to correct the auto-correct>

Edited by Kangaroorex