Sign in to follow this  
Jasper_the_2nd

Stonehaven Gnome Illusionist

Yes, another Gnome.  Who doesn't need more Gnomes??

This guy I'm using for my character in 2nd Ed. campaign I'll be playing with some friends.  Should be an interesting contrast with the 5th Ed. campaign I'm running with a different group of friends. It will also be my wife's first time playing D&D at all (she's playing a paladin, and will be painting up 77063: Duke Gerard btw).

Here's a quick pic of him straight out of the packaging. 

post-8239-0-08829500-1420159801.jpg

I've since cleaned him up and given him a good scrub.

• Like 11

Love to see what you're going to do with this guy! You've got to be almost out of gnomes after your YOTG entry. I think I'm dubbing January the official "Mini-mini Month!" in that I'm only painting dwarves and smaller. It'll give me a chance to recoup from the last two dioramas! LOL! 

• Like 2

So I mean to take a few progress shots through the day today....but that didn't happen.

So here he is, base coated (ish), and the face done..

post-8239-0-48345000-1420229239.jpg

Decided to go with some more vibrant colours that I usually use.  Was fun and I like how he's coming along.

• Like 9

Fun!

I need to paint up the two gnomes sitting on my desk for one of my fellow Pathfinder players. He has a gnome alchemist that is like a little Jekyll/Hyde

• Like 1

Got a chance to work on him again tonight.

post-8239-0-81389500-1420600500.jpgpost-8239-0-56598600-1420600498.jpg

Other than highlighting his boots and doing a quick base, I think he's almost done. (so point out anything that needs work)

Need to have him sealed and ready for D&D on Friday night, so he needs to get finished tomorrow night.

• Like 8

If I were painting this I might put a little more definition around the eyes, maybe just a line of medium brown at the edge of the sclera.

Aside from that he looks great, colorful and full of character.

• Like 1

He's definitely a lot of fun! I still haven't put a brush to Cassie, although I think I have a direction to go in. I have a bad cough and general nastiness as of lately, so I haven't really felt like painting. I'm also out of wet palette papers, which means fighting with, cutting, and trying to flatten the giant roll... but none of that has anything to do with this wonderful little guy! Looks great!

• Like 1

If I were painting this I might put a little more definition around the eyes, maybe just a line of medium brown at the edge of the sclera.

If I could, I would.  ::):

What would happen would be that I'd mangle his eyes, and have to redo them, which would then require fixing all the highlights on his face, which would likely end up with my retouching his hair, his shirt, and maybe a sleeve or two.

I really don't have the fine control to handle anything better than getting the pupils somewhat lined up and around the same size, especially on these wee folk.

• Like 2

He's definitely a lot of fun! I still haven't put a brush to Cassie, although I think I have a direction to go in. I have a bad cough and general nastiness as of lately, so I haven't really felt like painting. I'm also out of wet palette papers, which means fighting with, cutting, and trying to flatten the giant roll... but none of that has anything to do with this wonderful little guy! Looks great!

I have great motivation to get him done.  He's for 2nd Edition, and is a first level Gnome Illusionist.  5 HP and no real offensive spells....I want to get the fig done before anything kills him!

• Like 2

If I could, I would.  ::):

What would happen would be that I'd mangle his eyes, and have to redo them, which would then require fixing all the highlights on his face, which would likely end up with my retouching his hair, his shirt, and maybe a sleeve or two.

I really don't have the fine control to handle anything better than getting the pupils somewhat lined up and around the same size, especially on these wee folk.

I cheat with both hands like there's no tomorrow when I do things like that.

The way I do it is I have two brushes, a fairly fine one lightly loaded with the color I am working on and a small soft but cheapie brush, clean and good and wet.

I do a soft swipe of paint with the brush, and if it is not immediately perfect, I wipe it off with the wet brush. Then I blot the face dry, clean the water brush, wait a moment, and try again.

Being able to erase instantly makes a big difference with fiddly bits.

(This doesn't work with metallic paints, I feel obliged to say.)

• Like 3

Alrighty, this guy is pretty much done.

post-8239-0-68270900-1420688223.jpgpost-8239-0-40356400-1420688221.jpg

I'll need to seal him as he's for game play, but that's tomorrow night.

I'm really happy with how he came out, especially considering how little time I actually spent on him. Maybe 5-6 hours, and a lot of that was giving my wife assistance with her fig.

• Like 7