So all, I just finished something this morning, the combination of middle age and wanting to get things done before people start waking up and make me do other random fun things (like take down the Christmas decorations) and I want to seal it.  I normally wait for a day for whatever reason, but I'd like to get this figure finished and move on.  Is there a recommended minimum drying time for paint before you throw varnish on it?

Depends a lot on your climate. All the paint has to be dry or you risk frosting the miniature. In my dry high altitude climate most acrylics are going to be completely dry within 30 minutes, inks sometimes take a little longer. Many painters wait 24 hours to be sure everything is completely set. It also depends on if you have used any other types of paints on your miniature like enamels or oils. Those can take much longer to set which is why the 24 hour mark is a good rule of thumb. Again, I have sealed within 30 minutes of finishing a mini without a problem, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

i have actually sealed mine as soon as the paint feels dry,, sometimes in under 30 minutes,,  I do not live in a climate that is dry (east coast canada cannot be called that) and have no issues with frosting.  Mind you I only have Reaper's paints so no enamels or oils are ever used.

• Like 1

I live in Nebraska, and it is about nine degrees right now outside. I'm an advocate of the 24 hour wait typically , but I just want to get this coated so I can finish up the base and move on. I've only used Reaper acrylics on the figure.

And I finished it around 11.oo or so and now it's one.

Edited by 72moonglum

If using Reaper sealer I would say you are fine to go.  If you had a test piece to try it on that would be even better.

Best practice is to wait 24 hours, since it takes that long for most of the water to migrate out of even a very thin film of acrylic paint.

However, clearly one can fudge that some.

• Like 1

Where I live on the north shore of Lake Superior I can usually seal within 30 minutes during the dry winter weather.  Summers have gotten to be damnedly humid over the past few years so I generally wait 12-24 hours just to make sure I avoid disasters.  Stupid global warming . . .

The Egg

So I eventually gave up and sealed him around 4.30 if I recall correctly. Seemed to work okay. Small problems with dried pieces of sealant in a few spots and I dropped the figure once and had to touch him up, but other than that, I didn't really encounter any major issues.

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 1

Ya, with Nebraska's humidity I'd wait 24 hours.

wait, this is indoors in Nebraska, in the winter... What humidity?  When you raise air from -20 to +25 C there is no moisture left!

• Like 1

Ya, with Nebraska's humidity I'd wait 24 hours.

wait, this is indoors in Nebraska, in the winter... What humidity?  When you raise air from -20 to +25 C there is no moisture left!

Yup. Dew point is a much better measure of indoor humidity than outdoor relative humidity. (Assuming that your indoor temp is relatively constant, of course.)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      So just a random question, or comment: 

I have a brush that I always use for sealing my miniatures and thought I at least rinsed it out reasonably well or cleaned it out. Apparently not.  Last  week when before I used it, I actually took an exacto knife to the brush and started scraping old sealant off bristles, until it was actually much cleaner than it as previously.  Has anybody else ever done this?

• By Arydis
      The goal is to make a miniature's shield look almost like a cracked crystal portal (to a galaxy).  My thought to achieve this is to create an illusion of depth with an underpainting, MANY layers of varnish, and even small touches of paint between layers.  Being a mini, there won't be too much bulk, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with a project like this and could offer any pointers.  Would this idea work?   
    • By Rosierex
      Hello there!

I was wondering if anyone would have any idea how water resistant a properly sealed painted miniature might be? I'm asking because I was wondering if it would be completely disastrous to display them in an open top terrarium where they would probably be exposed to a bit of humidity and might get slightly wet sometimes.

I'm entirely new to this, so I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but I'd really like to be able to put my minis in my mini forest where they'd look right at home. But I also don't want them to start getting gooey after a while or anything. They aren't masterpieces, but I've grown quite fond of them and would be sad if their faces melted off.

If anyone has any experience with this or something similar or if you have any other suggestions, I'd be super grateful!

• By Pingo
      I'm planning to test some different ways of varnishing Bones, since there is some confusion and some materials seem to dry sticky, or turn sticky after some time.

This is going to be a long-term experiment because of the aforementioned change over time.

I have a dozen rats and five mummies from the first two Bones Kickstarters which I have painted up in colors known for their shininess (the blacks and reds on the rats) and their matte qualities (the grey bases and the linen color on the mummies).

These are super quick paints, just there to test the results.

Once they are fully cured I plan to number them under their bases and experiment with different combinations of matte and gloss finish, including at least one unvarnished of each type.

I plan to report back after some time has passed.

• By Splurch
      I seal my miniatures with Liquitex High Gloss Varnish through an airbrush and then do a matte coat. Last year, I put a number of figures away sealed with gloss but did not get around to putting a matte coat on them. Figures were primed with Badger Stynylrez, had several paint brands used on them and washed with an ink/liquitex medium/flow improver/slow dri home made mix. Some of these figures were Reaper Bones, some were not. They were all kept in a display case that, while not airproof, does keep dust out and is not in direct sunlight. The metal, resin and hard plastic figures have cured just fine and are not sticky at all. Even the bases of the bones figures, which are green stuff or plastic are not sticky. Only the bones figures themselves have become tacky. Some are barely sticky, some are so sticky I can press my finger to them and life the figure up without fear of it falling. I don't know when the problem happened, but the figures were sealed at various points last year and some had no issues for at least weeks after being sealed. Other bones painted at the time that were not sealed do not have this issue.

The problem seems to be some kind of reaction with the bones material and the liquitex high gloss varnish that happens through the primer/paint. I've only read up on issues with them becoming tacky when aerosols that react with the bones material. I'm concerned if I matte them, the tackyness will just come through again. I had some issues with the same problem with Liquitex High Gloss and bones a few years ago when I started using it. After some change in application/use I eventually got it to work without issue (or at least with no immediate issue.)

Has anyone else experienced your bones becoming tacky months after being sealed with no issues beforehand? Any idea why it is happening or if there is something I can do to fix and/or prevent it?
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)