Sign in to follow this  
smokingwreckage

Legions of Steel Superfortress

Here's an individual WIP of an idea I had, upon realizing I had excess Blasters for my Mechadrome mechs.

The original Superfortress looks gnarly but is heavily outfitted for anti-vehicle firepower. Most 28mm combat is more about infantry, or at most, many infantry and a handful of vehicles. I recalled having another, and set about making an anti-infantry version that visually blended the Mechadrome and original LOS aesthetics; as a bonus this leaves me with a BFG laser to stick on, say, a Rhino, in order to have an in-theme IFV/APC.

I stuck the legs on with huge amounts of automotive epoxy putty and some superglue; the bottom detailing is hollow, which you really never see on the table, and the legs fit up into the body cavity. (Huge amounts = two small blobs). Then I Devcon'd his feet to this Basix MDF base, just to be sure. Here he is near a fully assembled, based, shaded, but incompletely painted twin.

As you can see, I have, with a combo of big pins, Devcon, and aforementioned putty, plus some superglue to make sure the putty grabbed, mounted one of the BFGs in place of the disposable 2-shot missile pack of the standard variant. (Like the standard variant, I have lost this guy's chin gun.)

post-180-0-99496300-1420446394_thumb.jpg

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 4

Here's two views of the Mechadrome blasters mounted on the weapon-mount wing-stubs. I'm going to treat these as, in essence, the rough equivalent of a 40K heavy bolter, twin mounted. Which is to say, the standard Powered Infantry support MG is a double-up version of their standard rifle, and this will be treated as two of those mounted together, for a total fire-rate of 4.

It should be a blood-soaked long-range lawnmower that runs on laser power.

Or I might treat each as twin-mounted in-universe Blasters, which means much the same thing as above only much shorter range, traded for more stopping power up-close.

post-180-0-46576600-1420446907_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-90469400-1420446927_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

How big is that thing? Based on the stuff in the picture, it looks like it could step on normal sized (28mm) figures.

It's big. But since I've never seen one of these "in the flesh" so to speak I wouldn't mind a scale shot or two with some infantry.

I vaguely remember seeing the box a while ago, but I wasn't into the UNE.

I needed them to make the Infranite Rock Lobster, but the company folded before that happened.

I thought about converting one, but the things I'd have to buy to do the converting to have always seemed too expensive.

Option 1 was a big Zoids scorpion looking thing, option 2 was two of those 4 legged Chaos things that would have become one.

JBR, who had the Bigtator cast, also cast the.... recluse? No, scorpion. It would have been a decent proxy for the Lobster, but only a few were made, the caster had a lot of trouble, and JBR gave up in despair at about that point IIRC.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thrym
      Tor Skullcrusher,
      dwarven tattooed monk
      A Thrym Project  :: A Custom Miniature developed on Hero Forge and 3D printed by a friend.

Started working on character of mine who is a Dwarven Tattooed Monk.  As I mentioned, I created him using Hero Forge, downloaded the .STL, and had him printed elsewhere.

I enjoy using the interface on Hero Forge so far.  I have designed and purchased 3 STLs and 2 minis.

Once I received the print, I made a manual adjustment to his skull.  An ironic happenstance, given the character's name.

Tor, being a dwarf and confident in his skills against ogres was going toe-to-toe with a rather large ogre with a great club.  This is not something unusual so far.  The party had been exploring an ogre controlled encampment searching for an item and information for a tribe of centaurs nearby.  Unfortunately, Tor suffered a critical hit from the Ogre Champion's club and took a lot of damage when he was already near unconsciousness.  He effectively had his namesake applied to his own noggin.

So I removed a large segment of his skull by the patch to approximate the results of his disfigurement once the party ... eventually ... managed to raise him from the dead.  His demeanor and appearance was never pleasing to begin with and now it's even worse.

I painted on a primer coat first so I could see where I was removing plastic better.  The majority of the work was done with a rounded mini-file as well as a small gouge chisel.  I cleaned up the space with a small sanding twig.

For a color scheme, his pallid skin is Reaper's Fair Skin.  The coat is Army Painter's D&D Vampire Garments with Army Painter D&D Mouldy Wash.  I put the wash over his skin and his hand wraps as well.  The coat's trim is just the Vampire Garments again.

For the tans I used Reaper's Desert Sand, Desert Stone, Desert Tan, and Woodland Brown; or some combination thereof.  The eye patch, the lining of the coat and the belt are Army Painter's D&D Wraith Black as well as the tattoos on his right and left forearms and the side of his head.

His boots started out as Reaper's Coal Black but I need to reshake the bottle before going back to it.

Yes, I know the pics and the paint wash are a little dark, but the next set of pics will be better lit.  I am planning on layering his highlights up to brighter points. 

More work to come soon.

Stay Tuned and Safe.  Enjoy.
    • By spitfire23bc
      Avast, me mateys! Hoist the skull and crossbrains!

• By Mckenna35
      28mm scale "Stug" mech I painted for a friend.  I know he got it out of a Kickstarter, but otherwise no idea who makes it.  He'll be finishing the base to match the rest of his army.  Tried some different paints and techniques and pushed the 'weathering' further than I have before.  All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

• By Mckenna35
      I know there are a few folks that do Bolt Action and similar 28mm wargaming (@buglips), so I thought I'd bounce this out there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tftb/world-war-ii-soviet-railroad?ref=discovery_recommendations

Story
      Railroads are an important means to transport troops, equipment, ammunition and all other kinds of supply to the front. Especially in a country as vast as the Soviet Union with it's endless steppes, only few reliable roads and no major rivers running in the direction of the German advance during Operation Barbarossa in World War II. 
      With this set of detailed buildings and rolling stock in 1/56 scale for 28mm figures you get the opportunity to recreate the crucial fighting around the Soviet railroad system.
      The kits focus on the major pieces of rolling stock available to the Soviet defenders: box cars, gondola cars and flat cars. And the mighty ALCo RSD-1 Diesel Engine which was made available under the US Lend-Lease Act.
      Also included is a typical rural train station with optional additional platforms for all who want to depict a Soviet - or captured German - supply depot, where heavy equipment like tanks and guns are being unloaded.
      And for all of you looking for an armored train - don't worry! We have you covered.
        Talking about railroad tracks:
      We did not see the need to reinvent the wheel, so all kits are designed to be used with
      4Ground Railroad Tracks (available as add-ons to the Kickstarter) or O Gauge Model Railroad Tracks The kits include optional parts enabling you to choose your favorite system while assembling. Going this route has allowed us to concentrate on designing and producing the rolling stock only, which has the advantage of an earlier fulfillment date for the Kickstarter.
      All models are highly detailed on the outside and inside. The interiors are easily accessible, as roofs are removable. In addition, all doors are moveable, which means you can open or close them during gameplay.

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)