Kickstarter & Amazon Payments Part Ways

ub3r_n3rd

I thought that Amazon did a fine job overall, and I'm not at all worried about the change over to Stripe.

Seems like many smaller online shops use a third party payment service that I've not heard of.  And I still give them my credit card information.

And I've given my credit card information to big retailers that have suffered serious data breaches (Target and Home Depot).

I'm mostly in danger of getting my credit card information swiped when I pay with a credit card at a restaurant or anywhere else where I can't see what is happening to my card.  Two of my credit cards were fraudulently used twice last year.  Both times, the credit card companies quickly caught or blocked the fraudulent transactions and notified me.  Both times, they didn't hold me liable for any charges.  Both times, it was a slight pain to update where I had used the cards, but not a major deal.

Ron

• Like 6

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Amazon did a fine job overall, and I'm not at all worried about the change over to Stripe.

Seems like many smaller online shops use a third party payment service that I've not heard of.  And I still give them my credit card information.

And I've given my credit card information to big retailers that have suffered serious data breaches (Target and Home Depot).

I'm mostly in danger of getting my credit card information swiped when I pay with a credit card at a restaurant or anywhere else where I can't see what is happening to my card.  Two of my credit cards were fraudulently used twice last year.  Both times, the credit card companies quickly caught or blocked the fraudulent transactions and notified me.  Both times, they didn't hold me liable for any charges.  Both times, it was a slight pain to update where I had used the cards, but not a major deal.

This ^^^

Also, I've never really had a problem with paypal, except for when I need to update anything with them. They're so paranoid about fraud that it makes it next to impossible to change anything without giving them ALL of your information. Talk about jumping through hoops. It was easier to change my name after I got married than it was to have my name changed on my paypal account.

• Like 4

I don't know if I trust Stripe either, but I have a while back lost most of my trust with Amazon

Reaper Uses Stripe for many of our payment services, actually. I love the Stripe API. If you processed a Credit Card at Reapermini.com or ReaperCon.com you went through Stripe.

I wonder if Stripe takes as big a cut of the money a kickstarter raises as Amazon did?

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/making-payments-easier-for-creators-and-backers

Fees are expected to remain the same according to the above.

ha ha ha noooope nope nope nope. If it has a face book connection I don't want anything at all to do with it. Too bad, I had a fairly good run with kickstarter.

Nonsense. Because Facebook also uses this service, you'll stop using Kickstarter? Did you know the Facebook employees use Oxygen, too?

Stripe is merely a service, not a subsidiary of Facebook. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

My company just implemented Stripe a few months ago and it's been smooth sailing as far as I've heard.

edit - I just finished reading some of the complaints about Stripe, and have to say that I don't believe the ones about them not replying to emails. My buddy wrote all of the code to implement Stripe in our website and dealt with them quite a bit. They replied to email questions and were helpful.

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 4

My company just implemented Stripe a few months ago and it's been smooth sailing as far as I've heard.

edit - I just finished reading some of the complaints about Stripe, and have to say that I don't believe the ones about them not replying to emails. My buddy wrote all of the code to implement Stripe in our website and dealt with them quite a bit. They replied to email questions and were helpful.

Stripe has always been very responsive to us as well.

I'd guess that it's just like the cases I am familiar with - we get calls from customers with problems we are unable to solve (I lost my mini can you replace it for me/I want mine painted will you send me a painted one) and sometimes those people react poorly and with anger and vitriol towards us as if we are not providing good customer service because we are unable to do precisely what they wish. 

I suspect also there is a small percentage in every company that due to human error ends up with a poor experience. There are people out there who hate Reaper, too.

In the end, for me, the bottom line is that we as creators already use the Stripe service, and are pleased with this change, especially since it will mean not having to navigate away from Kickstarter.com when pledging, streamlining the pledge process for backers.

90% of the time when I see somebody complaining about how "Company X ignored my emails" I automatically assume that it's b/c the complainer sent the email to the wrong address. I've seen it happen too many times before.

Or else they actually did get replies, and they're all sitting in their Spam folder.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 5

Reaper Uses Stripe for many of our payment services, actually. I love the Stripe API. If you processed a Credit Card at Reapermini.com or ReaperCon.com you went through Stripe.

[Darth Vader] NOOOOOOOO!!! [/Darth Vader] :;):

Comes back to what Nocturne said that most of the time we haven't got a clue on who handles things. The retailers see something we don't, like the API.

Might as well cast one vote from me on the "No problems with Stripe" camp.

• Like 4

Another question: Did any of you get an update from Kickstarter about this decision? Am I being petty because I want to be informed about such things through Kickstarter and not through other sources?

I don't recall getting anything directly from KS on this, but it may come out from them in their next weekly/monthly newsletter they send out to us.  Perhaps they don't think it's a big deal as from what I now understand you'll just input your card information on their site, they use Stripe to process your payment, and you don't have to log into Amazon to approve the payment/pick your card on file. 

After Bryan's comment about Reaper using Stripe to process their payments though, I'm much more at ease with Kickstarter doing the same.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 6

Another question: Did any of you get an update from Kickstarter about this decision? Am I being petty because I want to be informed about such things through Kickstarter and not through other sources?

It's on their Blog. They do not necessarily post everything on their blog to their regular e-mails, though.  

The red flag for me was mostly that they're still accepting venture capital, not the BBB report stuff.