Kickstarter & Amazon Payments Part Ways

ub3r_n3rd

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like those of us with Discover will probably be SOL.. 

Yep. I got my email back from Kickstarter. Stripe does not support Discover cards. Well, I guess that is probably the end of me using Kickstarter. My Discover card is my "fun" card.

Yep. I got my email back from Kickstarter. Stripe does not support Discover cards. Well, I guess that is probably the end of me using Kickstarter. My Discover card is my "fun" card.

I got curious about that and started poking around.

It looks like Discover takes a much bigger bite out of credit purchases than Visa or Mastercard and it reportedly holds onto the funds for up to a week before handing them over to the merchant.

I imagine that makes a big difference when profit margins are already razor-thin.

• Like 3

I got curious about that and started poking around.

It looks like Discover takes a much bigger bite out of credit purchases than Visa or Mastercard and it reportedly holds onto the funds for up to a week before handing them over to the merchant.

I imagine that makes a big difference when profit margins are already razor-thin.

I knew Discover took the biggest cut of transactions among the major cards. (That's where my cash back bonus comes from!) I didn't know they hold funds longer than them as well.

I had a chat with the wife, and I can use our MasterCard if I need to for Kickstarter, but I'm sure I'll be backing less with her having access to the statement. :) I pay my Discover out of personal fund. So she doesn't see what I buy.

Edited by Florin
  • Like 3

I knew Discover took the biggest cut of transactions among the major cards. (That's where my cash back bonus comes from!) I didn't know they hold funds longer than them as well.

I had a chat with the wife, and I can use our MasterCard if I need to for Kickstarter, but I'm sure I'll be backing less with her having access to the statement. :) I pay my Discover out of personal fund. So she doesn't see what I buy.

Sounds like you'll have to be more selective with your KS/miniature purchases. Backing places like Reaper/DSM/RBG/Stonehaven (and a few others) who deliver quality figures on time (usually).

• Like 1

Sounds like you'll have to be more selective with your KS/miniature purchases. Backing places like Reaper/DSM/RBG/Stonehaven (and a few others) who deliver quality figures on time (usually).

Yeah, she followed me following the Bones 2 campaign, and she has bought me plenty of paints and brushes from Reaper. So I know she's good with Reaper stuff. :)

• Like 3

In my family that would be the "gifts for that person" credit card. :)

Discover is my preferred credit card to use.  No only because of the snazzy wolf themed card, but I've had very good experiences with their customer service and fraud protection team.  As much as I'm wary of using stripe, I'm not sure how much of a difference it is going to make.  I've backed 10 projects of which 5 have completely delivered - one half delivered and ran out of money and the other remaining four are in varying stages of development.

On a "huh" note, I'd just noticed that Exalted 3ed was slated for Dec 2013 fulfillment.  That one is just a wee bit behind schedule.

Anyway, I'm getting around to saying kickstarter in itself didn't really stick to me.  I've backed projects from providers known to me, friends' projects and didn't really stray much from there.  I don't think their changing their card processor will change my (lack) of activity with KS.

• Like 2

I just backed the Corvus Corax project to see how the new system works. I wanted to make sure there were no surprises when I pledge for Conan next week. It worked exactly the same way non-US kickstarters did in the past, kickstarter already had my credit card in their system. I'm guessing they have been using Stripe already. Presumably US based kickstarters will work the same as international ones now. It actually makes pledging easier, as you don't have the second step transferring you to Amazon payments.

• Like 2

I have a Mastercard entered. I just checked my account, and oddly it doesn't have an option to add a new card, only to remove the one I have entered. So for fun I checked another project and clicked on pledge, it seems the change hasn't happened yet as it tried to transfer me to Amazon payments. I didn't see any way to check on the Discover (or any other) card.

• Like 1