Kickstarter & Amazon Payments Part Ways

ub3r_n3rd

Suden, which cc did you use? Can you confirm that Discover is no longer accepted? Thanks!

Just in case anyone was still wondering, Discover is no longer an option for Kickstarter.  I had to enter an alternative card for the Exploding Kittens KS.

It's disappointing; the cashback bonus from the Discover card at least helped mitigate the amount I spend on KSes...  :lol:

• Like 3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suden, which cc did you use? Can you confirm that Discover is no longer accepted? Thanks!

Just in case anyone was still wondering, Discover is no longer an option for Kickstarter.  I had to enter an alternative card for the Exploding Kittens KS.

It's disappointing; the cashback bonus from the Discover card at least helped mitigate the amount I spend on KSes...  :lol:

Yeah, they don't take Discover any more. It's already kept me from pledging for two Kickstarters. That's probably good for me in the long-run, but I miss my instant gratification!

• Like 1

A few years ago when I was project manager for a software development project, we were using stripe for processing web payments.  I recall that my lead developer pushed for us to use it because it was, to him, the most secure option and they had the best/most developer friendly API.  I never had any problems with them but also never encountered anything I needed customer service help from them for.

Also, I think they had the best pricing as far as back-end charges to the merchant for credit cards and a flat rate instead of scaling the fee based on credit card (traditionally, it was more expensive to the merchant to accept discover or american express than visa/mastercard).

It looks like those of us with Discover will probably be SOL.. 

Yep. I got my email back from Kickstarter. Stripe does not support Discover cards. Well, I guess that is probably the end of me using Kickstarter. My Discover card is my "fun" card.

Also, that's weird, because Stripe does support Discover card.

https://stripe.com/us/pricing

Alison

I don't know if I trust Stripe either, but I have a while back lost most of my trust with Amazon

I hadn't heard about Stripe until seeing this article. I've been doing business with Amazon for a long time and do stuff through PayPal as well.

I'll wait and see what happens with this Stripe company get feedback from those who are using it often.

Same here. Never heard of Stripe until now.

Will wait for feedback from others before I decide whether to back any future KS's.

The point of stripe is that you don't know what it is, because ideally it's designed to be a completely back-end process and as far as your customers know, they never leave your website in order to process their payments.  It's designed to seamlessly integrate into your website as a payment engine.  My recollection is that they have some complex system in place so that your credit card is not actually exposed to the vendor and they store keys in vaults or something totally techy that I didn't comprehend well enough to remember.

• Like 3

From a user standpoint, people love seeing the PayPal and Amazon logos on the site and I am a big proponent of selling their stability to my client's end users.  But a programmer can grab the logo from PayPal and put it on their site and never use the service.

Some people just like seeing the https:// url and expect the site to be completely secure for it.  Let me rattle you and state ... just because they have a secure certificate to add that "S" to the link, doesn't mean they are handling your information securely.  I can handle the form you just filled out completely secured by SSL Secure Certificate and you'd never see the https on the front end.

And yet for every one that worries, there are two more who apparently don't think about it. Just this morning, one of my customers EMAILED me his CC information, even including his CCV number on the back.

• Like 5

From a user standpoint, people love seeing the PayPal and Amazon logos on the site and I am a big proponent of selling their stability to my client's end users.  But a programmer can grab the logo from PayPal and put it on their site and never use the service.

Some people just like seeing the https:// url and expect the site to be completely secure for it.  Let me rattle you and state ... just because they have a secure certificate to add that "S" to the link, doesn't mean they are handling your information securely.  I can handle the form you just filled out completely secured by SSL Secure Certificate and you'd never see the https on the front end.

And yet for every one that worries, there are two more who apparently don't think about it. Just this morning, one of my customers EMAILED me his CC information, even including his CCV number on the back.

I am always so astounded when this happens, or when people will write the information on a scrap of paper they've included with a package with a return.

• Like 3

Yeah, they don't take Discover any more. It's already kept me from pledging for two Kickstarters. That's probably good for me in the long-run, but I miss my instant gratification!

btw, Is anyone having problems using a different cc on KS? 

EDIT: cc stuff deleted

I *am* very happy with the mini's I've received through KS projects, all 20 of them -- projects, not mini's. :lol:

And thanks to Reaper for getting me into this hobby, and the big box of Bones coming tomorrow!  

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

No, but any other suggestions are quite welcome. I verified with the cc company the credit card number, expiration date, and three-digit code on the back.

EDIT: cc stuff deleted

EDIT EDIT: cc works fine on Amazon. Nuts to you, KS! :P

May use this as an excuse to kick the KS habit! :lol: As much as I like all the goodies, kinda pointless to buy more mini's and games I don't have time to paint or play with!

Reaper Bones II arriving by 7pm today! :lol:

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1