Meeting people at RCon

Matbar

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We really do need to sort that out ahead of time this year, so people can decided if they want the Banquet goodies more or less than the sushi social

Well, we sorted it out ahead of time last year, and many people chose the banquet. However, we still had somewhere around 2 dozen people go out for sushi on Saturday night anyway.

We had a similar conversation regarding this last year, so I will say again what was said then:

There is a group of us that have gone out for sushi on Saturday night the last 4 years or so. It is an open invitation to anyone that wants to come. If you come find me at any point prior to lunch on Saturday  (which is when I usually call the restaurant to give them a final head-count for our reservation) and give me your name and a contact number where you can be reached, I will make sure that you know when and where we are going, and if at all possible, make sure that you have a ride to the restaurant if you need it. Due to the schedules of our core group, Saturday evening is the only time that all of us can attend. Also, none of us are particularly attached to the awards ceremony that night, no matter how nice the swag bag may be, and it's not like you need to be present to win. :;):

All that being said, this is NOT an official Reaper event. There are no event tickets, no swag bag, no ribbon (well, maybe a ribbon - that's up to CBP), etc.  What there is, is plenty of socializing with good friends (and new ones!) over good food. If you've never tried sushi but always wanted to, have had a bad experience and want to give it another shot, or just want to expand your sushi horizons beyond the confines of the maki (rolls) you always get, we'll be glad to have you along for the ride.  However, if you plan to attend the banquets and still want to have a sushi night, I encourage all those folks to band together and make it happen on another night! Just go do it! And if it is a night that I don't have something else planned, I'll come too, if invited. ::D:

~v

• Like 4

I'm not on the Badge design crew. I probably won't see what they look like until I get mine.

Do you actually need one?

He DOES need to know who he is...even if he spells hys name funni.

[big snip] .. no swag bag,

~v

Correct V., the SWAG tends to come in a box or on a plate/tray and can have a very nice dipping sauce associated with it.

Count me in again this year, BTW.

• Like 1

Sushi night sounds like fun (even if I generally don't eat sushi.) I may try to make it one of these years.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have missed the look on Pixel and Corporea's faces when their awards were announced for all the maki in Texas. ::):

I think the short version is: There are all kinds of awesome things to do during RCon. You can't go wrong.

• Like 3

We really do need to sort that out ahead of time this year, so people can decided if they want the Banquet goodies more or less than the sushi social

Well, we sorted it out ahead of time last year, and many people chose the banquet. However, we still had somewhere around 2 dozen people go out for sushi on Saturday night anyway.

We had a similar conversation regarding this last year, so I will say again what was said then:

There is a group of us that have gone out for sushi on Saturday night the last 4 years or so. It is an open invitation to anyone that wants to come. If you come find me at any point prior to lunch on Saturday  (which is when I usually call the restaurant to give them a final head-count for our reservation) and give me your name and a contact number where you can be reached, I will make sure that you know when and where we are going, and if at all possible, make sure that you have a ride to the restaurant if you need it. Due to the schedules of our core group, Saturday evening is the only time that all of us can attend. Also, none of us are particularly attached to the awards ceremony that night, no matter how nice the swag bag may be, and it's not like you need to be present to win. :;):

All that being said, this is NOT an official Reaper event. There are no event tickets, no swag bag, no ribbon (well, maybe a ribbon - that's up to CBP), etc.  What there is, is plenty of socializing with good friends (and new ones!) over good food. If you've never tried sushi but always wanted to, have had a bad experience and want to give it another shot, or just want to expand your sushi horizons beyond the confines of the maki (rolls) you always get, we'll be glad to have you along for the ride.  However, if you plan to attend the banquets and still want to have a sushi night, I encourage all those folks to band together and make it happen on another night! Just go do it! And if it is a night that I don't have something else planned, I'll come too, if invited. ::D:

~v

Well, true but you do need to attend the banquet if you want a chance at the door prize. And if you do buy a ticket for the banquet and go to Sushi instead, please give your ticket to someone else so that the food portion is not wasted.

• Like 3

~v

Well, true but you do need to attend the banquet if you want a chance at the door prize. And if you do buy a ticket for the banquet and go to Sushi instead, please give your ticket to someone else so that the food portion is not wasted.

Shakandara is also speaking of the fact that the Sushi group misses the Painting Contest Awards Ceremony - in addition to the Banquet.  

We certainly have no problem whatsoever with attendees organizing like this, but to want to make sure people are aware what they are missing when they go - and Also I'm always jealous that it overlaps two major functions for me, so I can never go along :(

I just wonder if there's something in particular about Saturday night for sushi? Or if a secondary group is viable for Sunday Night (since I think I read everything wraps up around 5/6)? I know there's a few at least planning to leave Monday so not sure why that wouldn't be viable as well?

It's whenever you feel like doing it. I think Saturday night is good for some people as allot of people head out on Sunday, kinda of a last night at ReaperCon kinda thing. I went a couple years ago with Vince & gang & it made my Con that year. I was gonna go last year but I was tied up in a game I was running that was late in getting over. I ended up going to the awards ceremony. It was fun but for me being with friends like Vince & CBP & Qwyk outweigh the ceremony.

Again, it's fun no matter what you do thou. That is what ReaperCon is all about.

RM

• Like 1

Shakandara is also speaking of the fact that the Sushi group misses the Painting Contest Awards Ceremony - in addition to the Banquet.  

Correct. If I did not make this abundantly clear in my last post, please heed Bryan's. If you come to sushi with us, you *will* miss both the banquet that night, as well as ALL the awards stuff (painting, gaming, etc). I realize that is a deal-breaker for some.

I just wonder if there's something in particular about Saturday night for sushi?

Also I'm always jealous that it overlaps two major functions for me, so I can never go along :(

Indeed, there is something in particular about that night, and Randy touches on it partly in his reply. There are some people (like my fiance) that don't come up to the con until late Friday night (too late for dinner, in fact), and many people begin their return home trips Sunday afternoon/early evening. This leaves Saturday night as the one and only time that the majority of the group that started this little tradition are available to have dinner together. I hate that it means that some people, especially Reaper staff like Bryan and Shannon, can't join us (sorry Bryan - when it's between Terri and you, I choose Terri. I'd expect no less from you with regard to Shannon :;):). Then again, during ReaperCon is always a difficult time to try to hang out socially with the Reaper staff, as they are all working so hard to make sure that all of us are having such a great time.

And if you do buy a ticket for the banquet and go to Sushi instead, please give your ticket to someone else so that the food portion is not wasted.

I do not advocate buying a ticket to the banquet (for the swag) and then not going. But if you are going to do so, please listen to Kris, and give your meal ticket away to someone that wants to be there. There are (or at least, were last year) a limited number of seats available. Give your ticket to someone that wants to be there, so that the seat gets filled, and the food gets eaten.

~v

• Like 3

Or if a secondary group is viable for Sunday Night (since I think I read everything wraps up around 5/6)? I know there's a few at least planning to leave Monday so not sure why that wouldn't be viable as well?

Sounds like you just volunteered to start organizing a sushi group on another night. :;):

~v

• Like 4