Sign in to follow this  

So I have been painting a bit off and on for a couple of years now and I have some parts of the triads but I don't think I actually have a full triad. In your opinion which Triads are the most important must have completed triads that Reaper sells? This is for the starting painter that needs to get some paints and only really has the funds to get the most used stuff.

Edited to add: Sorry that I forgot to mention I have over 70 different paints right now just no full triad sets.

Edited by prophetic_joe

I started with some yellow, red, Bloodstain and Carnage and something else, not really a triad, then got 9705 Cool Greens, 9706 Pure Blues, 9708 Royal Purples, and the 9715 Medium Skin set. With black and white I think you could paint anything with that.

But really it depends on what you're painting. If you're doing a bunch of lizard men you probably don't want the purple or the flesh tone right now.

And not to be rude, but basic paint colors have been covered many times on these boards, if you're willing to look it up there's a lot of advice already posted.

My favorites.  I have way too many paints, but if I could only keep 21 20, these would be them.

Red Triad: Brick, Deep Red, Blood red.

Orange Triad: Auburn Shadow, Carrot Top Red, Highlight Orange
Yellow triad: Chestnut Brown, Palomino Gold, Buckskin Pale

Green Triad: Forest, Grass, Jade

Blue Triad: Ultramarine

Violet: Burgundy Wine, Violet Red, Pale Violet Red

Brown: Muddy, Earth, Leather Brown

Pure Black, Rainy Grey, Pure White for shades.

• Like 2

And not to be rude, but basic paint colors have been covered many times on these boards, if you're willing to look it up there's a lot of advice already posted.

I've done plenty of searches on basic paint colors. I have plenty of paints. I am asking specifically about the triads because they offer a fairly simple way to get good looking blends for the new painter and I personally am looking to round out my sets. Please don't assume that simply because someone asks a question that you feel had been covered somewhere else that they haven't taken the time to search and research. Whether you say "not to be rude" or not it still usually comes across that way.

We're all friends here, let's go easy.

It is a subjective question, though. Sabith has a great list, but I don't use some of those at all.

The red hair triad is nice, but the ochre triad (palo gold etc) is indispensible imo, for instance. I don't use the green triad, but the earth browns go on pretty much everything.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 1

One thing that really disappoints me is the walnut brown triad.  The three colors are too "same-y" for them to be used together as a shadow-base-highlight combo, which I am led to understand is the whole point of the triad system.

That said, walnut brown is an amazing color, and indispensable to me.  It will quite possibly be the first ever color that I run out of.  But I can't in good conscience recommend the triad, as it lacks the versatility of the earth browns.

I've started using Muddy Soil where I used to use Walnut. Not sure when that happened, but that's what I've been reaching for.

• Like 1

Well, I have to say, that I love the bone triad http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Master%20Series%20Triads/latest/09720

and the fair skin tones http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Master%20Series%20Triads/latest/09716

...helped me up my game quite a bit in the last while.

I bought them a little while ago, and they seem pretty solid for getting hard to match tones down.

Plus it's kind of nice not having to strip minis and repaint when I lose my formulas.

I've been pretty disappointed in most of the triads I've gotten as they don't have a good amount of contrast between the paints and I much prefer how scale color does it where you buy 6 paints that have a wide range of contrast.

The soil one is pretty good--though you need a strong off white to go on top of it and so is the gray triad. Out side of those two I think the liner triad is the only other one, of maybe 10-12 packs that I've purchased, where I use more then one color from it.

• Like 2

Ya, they're a Spanish company (scale75)

So I just got their red set and it's actually 8 paints and has a dark sanguine purple, fuchsia, a dark red, blood red (slightly less dark then the previous), what'd you'd consider a generic red, a red slightly more orange, orange and bright yellow.

Since reds are highlighted with orange and yellow and regularly shaded with deep purples it gives you everything you need to paint and mix a lot of red colors.

You could get near this set with the Gory Red triad+ Fire Colors Triad+regal purple (single) or deep red (single)+ Sun Yellow (single). That's pretty close, just looking at color swatches as I don't have all of those in Reaper Paint.

I like both paint lines and have a lot of reaper paint, I just prefer how scale color packages their color sets. Andrea Paints does something similar though I've never used them. If you like Reapers and don't care to try another paint line I'd just look at the color ranges in the Scale Color packages and find equivalent in the reaper line.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 3

I imagine that the Must Have Triads vary by person, particularly depending on what you paint.  For example, I like to paint orcs, so I use the Olive Greens Triad quite a bit.

But, that said, here are some of my favorites (besides the Olive Greens):

• Warm Deep Browns
  • Bone
  • Off Whites
  • Lining
  • Burnt Colors
  • Colored Liners (discontinued)
  • Bloodthirsty Reds
  • Classic Brown
  • Ivory Bone
  • Cool Browns
  • Cold Greys (discontinued)