77191 Bones Hydra -> Tiamat (by sculpting)

jonishi

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very neat idea!  I've been looking at Metalchaos' thread as well but the amount of pinning and trimming he's had to do is intimiating.  I might be willing to try modifying a Bones hydra some day, though.  Thanks for sharing!

I also looked at that all that metal and though "nope, not for me..." But bonesium is a lot more manageable than metal and so far it's been easier going than I had expected. The trimming only took a few minutes per head at most.

• Like 3

Results of the second day!

Blue:

post-12679-0-07704100-1420821919_thumb.jpg  post-12679-0-54583200-1420821920_thumb.jpg

Added tabs to one side of the neck scales, then smudged them all flat and had to redo them. Other side tomorrow or whenever I can look it without despair.

post-12679-0-27884400-1420822065_thumb.jpg

Also enlarged his horn.

Black:

post-12679-0-59108800-1420822595_thumb.jpg

Put in some wires to support his spinal ridges. 

post-12679-0-89111100-1420822507_thumb.jpg

Added some teeth and his tongue extension came off... Will glue it back in after the teeth are done. Putting the membrane between was a struggle, any tips on how to approach this are most welcome.

Red:

post-12679-0-88201700-1420822168_thumb.jpg

Gave him a horn and supports for his frills.

post-12679-0-11504500-1420822170_thumb.jpg

Put on a first scaffold for the frills, too.

post-12679-0-42155900-1420822341_thumb.jpg

Not a lot of room for the frills, thankfully Green won't have any bits sticking out. 

Thank you all for your comments, they are very motivating!

This looks great so far. Do you have any plans to add wings to this as well?

I would like to, but shipping overseas is just too expensive and I don't fancy sculpting them form scratch. I'm still looking for the fire dragon closer to home and considering the wings off 77111: Rauthuros as well (I have him from the kickstarter) but they are on the small side and he looks very sad without them. 

I wonder if using all Bones would be feasible (though you'd have to buy each full dragon, so probably work out more expensive than metal boneyard)?

I did look into this, but I can't seem to find most of them in bones. Ebonwrath in bones is $19.99 vs $3.51 for just his head and neck, but the wings of the fire dragon are only $0.04 cheaper than the whole thing in bones. You'd also be saving $29 on the hydra itself, but I'd guess having a bunch of metal heads on a bones body may cause problems. Even if it were more expensive it might be worth it for all the bits left for future projects (in fact, a Frankendragon is already taking shape in my mind).

• Like 10

Update! This is actually after two sculpting sessions, but progress is very slow due to all the new things I'm learning. Mostly, I'm having a lot of adhesion problems meaning I have to do everything multiple times as it keeps ripping off. 

Black is looking less naked, though the spine membranes are still causing me no end of trouble.

post-12679-0-76237400-1421184741_thumb.jpg

I also made some horns for him, but they turned out a bit thick (this is the smaller of the two...) However, he still needs quite a lot of spikes on his chin, so I'll hold off on making new horns until I can see how that looks.

post-12679-0-60178900-1421184780_thumb.jpg

Blue has had his neck scales finished (with surprisingly few problems) and the basis for his cheek... winglet... things has been laid. 

post-12679-0-57426100-1421185111_thumb.jpg

For red, I've tried to make a subtle stretchy look on his membranes.The spikes there will have scales along them, hopefully it will look nicer when they are in place.

post-12679-0-94836700-1421185270_thumb.jpg

(in fact, a Frankendragon is already taking shape in my mind).

:wacko:...   :blink:...   ::D:

I really want to see what's coming there.

Unfortunately, I don't actually have several mutilated dragons sitting around at the moment, but who knows what sort of conversions the future may hold? 

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Inarah
      One of Bob Ridolfi's sweet little undead monsters from earlier this summer.  I tried some grey skin tones to give her a "definitely not human" look, with the contrasting pale yellow funeral dress.  It's all right, and there's nothing you need to be concerned about here....

• By solomon_kane
      Or, as I like to call him, Smaul Hollywood. 

• By Rigel
      FROM SPACE IT CAME! Its motives--INSCRUTABLE! Its desires--UNKNOWN! This is why the Galacteer Academy requires three semesters of Xenodiplomacy, cadet!

This spacefella was an excellent excuse to experiment with colorshift paints. 

Betty (50150) and Rizzo investigate.

Further scans are necessary!

Good news! It seems to be benevolent, desiring only TO SERVE MAN. Whew! What a relief! That could have gone so much worse. Another crisis averted, thanks to the Galacteers!

• By Rigel
      Matthew Beauchamp recently sculpted an excellent line of Dragon Men for his Retroverse. I had to get them--and they are massive and burly, about 45mm or so! Great scaly brutes, 
      But the heads were a little less reptilian and more orcish than I would like, having committed to the Antediluvian aesthetic of Buckland Rogers.  Don't worry, I'll find a use for that head somewhere. 
      So I took a couple of hours with Green Stuff and a dental tool and made a new hunchbacked crocodilian/mosasaur head, scarred and with a toothy muzzle. This is a prominent NPC in my spacefuture games, Atrox the weapons merchant. 

He is about nine foot tall, cheerfully violent and moderately amoral. Won't sell biological weapons or anything with long-half-life decay products, but otherwise it's fair game if you have the credits.

Pretty scarred about the face and neck, because he's a professional and insists on testing each type of weapon before selling. Also from ritual Laser-Glaive duels.

I have decided his species mostly practices gigantocracy: whoever is biggest gets to rule. Not a perfect system, but very good at supply logistics and famine avoidance.

"Perhapf sir would care to infpect our line of Deathshead blafters? Only the finest quality!"

"Flamerf, zapperf, plafma-bolterf, we got it. Throw in a laser free with every third purchase."

"We think thif one is from the future. I call it an Ontological Disruptor.  Dunno HOW it works, but push thif button and the target vanishes from the physical univerfe for 6.3 secondf. The savvy tacticianf can immediately fee the poffibilitief."

"Or perhapf sir would like a more ELEGANT weapon, from a leff civilized age?"

"Clubf, maces, nooses, axes single or double, goads, prods, glaivef, fpears, throwable mambelef--oh, the Vault?"

"I see that sir is a discerning customer! Only the moft DEVAFTATING beam weaponf and mortarf to be found thif side of New Xibalba!" 

"But don't juft take MY word for it! Liften to the teftimonialf of our satisfied customerf!"

• By Pancakeonions
      Got my Reaper Bones V goodies a bit ago, and slapped some paints onto the Pumkinhead beholder.  I used Citadel Wraithbone primer, contrast paints, and Army Painter Matte varnish and...  months later it remains slightly tacky.  It's not...  awful.  But it's enough that if I put it away in a box with other minis, I'm afraid it won't mix well.  I've left it out in the sun for a day, thinking that might 'bake' the stickiness out of it...  It did not.  

I got Reaper Bones because I figured I could paint, varnish and throw into a box with all my prepainted minis.  Some of my older bones remain slightly tacky too.  But I figured that with this new round of Reaper Bones, they would have got that figured out.  I've painted up the undead giant, but not yet varnished him and I'm afraid to!

I've read the various Reaper Bones help threads, many of which are very old (and one sent me to Facebook, though it looks like it's no longer available.  I don't do social media anymore, so not sure?). 

Does anyone have any advice to help a guy out?  I'm pretty sure I shook my rattlecan varnish adequately.  I do live in western San Francisco and wonder if the humidity (fog, it's often cool and misty regardless of the season) may affect this.  I try to wait until the weather is clear.

What are you doing to keep your Bones stickiness-free?  Any advice you might have would be helpful.

Update 3 Nov 21: over time the tackiness was getting worse; I could no longer pick up the model for fear of leaving a nasty finger print...  (In particular, the elements that had GW's "Nurgles Rot" technical paint for some reason reacted really badly, and were quite gooey!)  But I finally got a pot of Testors brush on Dullcoat/varnish and it worked like a charm.  The figure is no longer tacky.  If that changes, I'll come back to update again!  🙂
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)