77191 Bones Hydra -> Tiamat (by sculpting)

jonishi

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the membranes try wrapping tin foil around your supports and using the tin foil as a base.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that.

Bravo! Great job so far!

I can also say from experience that a little bit of superglue (I use Lok-tite gel) can be used to make a very strong bond between green stuff and another surface.

Do you use the glue before the green stuff cures as well? At the moment, I am glueing all the cured bits that fall off back on with little problems but during the sculpting process it's a bit of a nightmare getting things to stay.

Black is finally developing that typical black dragon dental disaster look. Letting teeth cure fully and then sculpting gums to attach them sure is a lot easier than trying to sculpt them onto the mouth in one step.

post-12679-0-09849200-1421269067_thumb.jpg

Reds frills have progressed further. I'm still not sure I like them, they seem very prominent. However I expect they'll stand out less once painted in a color matching the rest of the head. His horns still need work as well, perhaps they will also balance the frills out.

post-12679-0-68343300-1421269216_thumb.jpg

Blues cheekwings are coming along slowly since every step needs to cure before I can move on to the next one.

post-12679-0-37060200-1421269385_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonishi
  • Like 8

Tiamat needs to stop eating her orthodontists. Black really does need some more dental work, braces, and hey, why not gold caps while she's at it? I mean what dragon doesn't like some bling?

Dragons also on occasion are known to have a bit of a nibble at their hoard, they might not want their toofs capped in delicious candy.

• Like 1

Back from the dead! No, wait, not dead, just got bogged down and distracted... I'm trying to go back to sculpting a little bit every day, since I have way too much free time right now. I also managed to find a Bones Fire Dragon form a German retailer with reasonable shipping costs, so there will be wings soon. 

Red is pretty much done, although I see now that there are some chin spikes missing...

post-12679-0-32807800-1432046207_thumb.jpg

He's not entirely symmertrical, but hey, who is going to be looking at this angle anyway?

post-12679-0-93850200-1432046208_thumb.jpg

After 4 attempts to sculpt a beard and ears on Blue, I got frustrated and went off to do other things. I tried again, telling myself that I would at least leave the putty on this time... So here he is. It's not perfect and i'm not that happy with it, but at least I can move on with the project this way. I feel that most of my textures look kind of similar, maybe it's because I have one favorite tool that I use for everything. 

post-12679-0-41274600-1432046210_thumb.jpg

I had a similar problem with Black's membranes, although I am a little more pleased with how this first section turned out than I am with Blue. Debating adding more teeth, I think with more it will look silly because he could never close his mouth. 

post-12679-0-36601800-1432046212_thumb.jpg

That's one of the distractions there in the corner, by the way... I'm converting 77132: Barnabus Frost, Pirate Captain into a dual-scimitar-wielding dragonborn for a character I'm playing. 

As a sort of general question, is there such a thing as too much vaseline when using greenstuff? I am still having so much trouble getting it to stick to anything but my tools. 

• Like 9