Willen WIP - Dalyn Talas, Elven Sword Mage (Reaper SKU #03597)

So with Willen on his way to Vegas right now as I write this to vacation, we talked about a painted figure exchange. For his, he wanted something to represent his old TTRPG/D&D type character "Willen" and told me the story of how he was from Rivendell, an outcast who was good with the sword and with magic (both lightning and ice being his preferences).

I found Dayln Talas, Elven Sword Mage on the Reaper Site, which we both thought was perfect. I did an alteration to the sword since the PC had a longsword instead of a curved blade, used some files and got it straightened out.

Starting out, I went with the base first and I'm currently working on the figure. We meet up on Sunday to hang out, paint, and talk, so I'll probably be able to finish him up by Saturday night.

It's all about that base... that base... that base! (WARNING: Picture heavy!)

First off, I took a piece of 2 inch x 2 inch wood to use as the base, then I took some plasticard and cut to size over it.

Next, I used some Secret Weapon broken columns and placed them on the base, then I used cork to build some old stairs. Between the columns, I used some small rocks and PVA glue to put them in to look like broken rubble between the column base and what broke off. The red/pink stuff is Vallejo Red Oxide Paste, it's basically a very finely ground pumice paste, I used it to give more texture to the base.

post-7987-0-82911300-1420826392_thumb.jpg

You can see here I took more plasticard and cut out some Elven Runes to place on the side.

post-7987-0-88349600-1420826393_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-87509200-1420826394_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-88288700-1420826395_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-85221200-1420826396_thumb.jpg

Here you can see I've got it mostly primed up and then used a few secret weapon washes to get some definition to show.

post-7987-0-86230500-1420826397_thumb.jpg

Skipping ahead a bit, I've painted it and stained it with washes to get it to look like what I wanted it to. Inspiration struck me in the middle of this, and I added even more rubble to the area at the bottom of the top stair. I also added a Hirst Arts piece that Bonwirn sent my way a while back, it's the urn/vase at the top. The figure will be on the 2nd set up, approaching the urn..

post-7987-0-85265800-1420826398_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-88144600-1420826399_thumb.jpg

I decided that I wanted a creature to be in the center, but not a whole creature. I have some creature parts and decided to make it submerged in brackish water. This is just realistic water with secret weapon washes Dark Sepia mixed with Dark Green. I used a bit of silicone to make it so that the realistic water wouldn't leak out around the area I wanted. 

post-7987-0-89142900-1420826400_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-89712600-1420826401_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-38362900-1420826925_thumb.jpg

Skipping ahead a little bit more, we have the nearly finished base. I've added OSL to the runes, hit the base with some more staining. Then after the pics, I added more water effects since the stuff likes to shrink and added some more color and texture (not shown yet) by putting in some tufts of grass and flowers, to give it the feel that this ruin has been overtaken by nature.

post-7987-0-45030300-1420826926_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-40626200-1420826927_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-44400100-1420826928_thumb.jpg

C&C are welcomed and appreciated!

• Like 21
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another little bit here, this time a couple of pics of Willen. I need to take a few more tonight.

Very happy with how the cloak came out here and with his face/eyes, eyes are very tiny.

post-7987-0-71851300-1420827211_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-46852200-1420827212_thumb.jpg

I've got a bit more work done on him than this, with a purple robe under that blue cloak.

• Like 17

Go Ub3r Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is becoming an Ub3r Masterpiece..

You are layering it up, adding in details to support the story

that we all know you do VERY VERY well !

:wow: :wow:

Thanks Jay!

As always, I find your comments fun and very flattering. I just hope that my work can inspire others as theirs inspires me.

• Like 1

I would glaze a little bit of the color you used on the hair into the darkest places on the cloak and work on the transitions up to the light grey.  right now it is a bit stark and while the brightness is right, I want to see an intermediate blue.

ETA: Love the base, that is cool.

Edited by Dontfear
  • Like 2

COOL DESIGN The water and the eye creature! Heck ya! 

Thanks! Yeah, that creature just hit me as a piece of inspiration, spur of the moment thing.

I would glaze a little bit of the color you used on the hair into the darkest places on the cloak and work on the transitions up to the light grey.  right now it is a bit stark and while the brightness is right, I want to see an intermediate blue.

Oh the hair is going to be golden blonde, so far it's just base coat of intense brown with some inktensity chestnut brown to give it some more pop. I'll look at the glazing of the mid-tone of the blue though, that's a good idea.

Thanks for the C&C!

• Like 3

COOL DESIGN The water and the eye creature! Heck ya! 

Thanks! Yeah, that creature just hit me as a piece of inspiration, spur of the moment thing.

Oh the hair is going to be golden blonde, so far it's just base coat of intense brown with some inktensity chestnut brown to give it some more pop. I'll look at the glazing of the mid-tone of the blue though, that's a good idea.

Thanks for the C&C!

I'm just thinking, the color you used for the base coat is about right for a nice complement shadow to darken and desaturate the color on the cloak.

• Like 3

I'm just thinking, the color you used for the base coat is about right for a nice complement shadow to darken and desaturate the color on the cloak.

So mix in a bit of the intense brown into the blue dark blue base and do a glaze into the shadows?

• Like 1