Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This miniature had some DRAMA associated with it.
I painted her for quite a while, and then she went into a kind of miniature limbo in which I just couldn't stand any color on the sculpt. Finally I ended up dunking her in the Simple Green and leaving her there for a week. The paint came off, but strangely the bones sculpt was dyed a strange orange color and its texture changed. It got really, really soft... almost floppy.
...but eventually I got the fig to take a brown basecoat, and the rest of the painting process went off without much of a hitch, except the OSL. The figure was so weirdly soft that drybrushing made it wobble. So her OSL is a lot lighter than I would have hoped.
Anyway, here she is :-)
This one was for a facebook competition about color. The rules were, basically, don't worry about anything else but color. Do something different with color. I started with the idea of a dress palette of blue, teal, purple, and magenta. Once I had those colors in place, it was a matter of incorporating them in different areas of the model. I went with cotton candy roses and a galaxy print on the wings. The galaxy was a matter of stippling the dress colors (plus a bit of white) back and forth until the effect was convincing. Then I masked the body of the model and flicked a stiff brush at the wings to make star patterns. I then went back to the dress colors and stippling to blend them in a bit. This was a blast to paint, because I've never really done anything like this before.
By Al Capwn
As part of my goals for this year, one of them was to actually paint a Sophie - so here is my version of the 2017 ReaperCon Sophie. She was fun to paint, but was she fiddly to put together and I had to fight paint chipping all the way through. Next time I will remember to give the model a good wash before priming! You can click on the pictures for the larger versions, and one day I will invest in a tripod and get the exposure settings dialed in properly as well!
For those interested, the WIP thread is located over here.
By Al Capwn
So to wrap up one of my 2020 goals, I figured I would start on actually *gasp* painting a Sophie! I have no less than 3 in my stash, and I figured I would start practicing some concepts from all of my learning while I was at it..
I decided to pick the ReaperCon 2017 Sophie and since she has somewhat of an aquatic theme to her, I am going to shamelessly "borrow" some ideas from Disney...because why not...
I did my usual priming routine but -THIS TIME- I added an additional directional light to reinforce a direction.
Also, I have turned back to inks for some foundation work. This time incorporating Sepia, Orange, and Yellow for the wings. Glazing over the transitions established by the airbrush to set the initial values and tones.
I followed up by using Reaper Burgundy Wine, Tanned Flesh and Fair Skin for the skin tones, including a bit of FW White Ink to lighten up the brightest highlights. I used Kimera Kolors magenta + White Ink and hit her lips. I might come back with a bit brighter color to hit the lip gloss sheen.
I still need to work on blending the transitions between light and dark areas, and as well as obviously hit the arms and legs more.
I also wanted to capture "Ariel's" aqua-emerald eyes. and I am REALLY happy how they came up this time. It doesn't hurt that this sculpt did a very good job of sculpting the eye area. So super-duper zoom to see the tiny eyes.
Who's Online 12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)