Sign in to follow this  
Kang

How metal minis are made

A guy on a forum I frequent that is dedicated to metal casting was asking about making minis the other day and hinted that Reaper uses the lost wax method for some of their stuff in addition to the standard type of spin-casting in rubber molds that traditionally have been the way minis are made.

As a cast aluminum hobbyist, my foundry-sense immediately began tingling.  This can't be true, it wouldn't make sense.

i can't think of a single reason why any form of investment casting would be needed to cast metals that are cool enough at pouring temperature to pour into rubber molds without destroying them.

Do I have the right of it in assuming this guy was mistaken?  Reaper isn't offering some kind of limited edition bronze minis or anything like that, are they?  I'd like to be able to give another minis-guy and would-be molten metal dabbler the best advice possible to help him accomplish what he has in mind!

Thanks,

That video shows spin-casting with silicone molds, which is certainly the process Reaper uses for the vast majority of its minis. I can't say they've never used a lost-wax casting process for anything, but I will say that it's not one of the processes they use normally.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 2

I'll look for it tonight...  Thanks!

Part One.

Part Two.

Faster to just follow the link.

Man 4 years makes a lot of difference! I was so much younger!

Anyway! I am unaware of a single time we have used a lost wax process or any similar process in my time here, which is now over 12 years. 

/limited by means of cell phone forum posting

I knew someonr awesome would come around and post it, but til then, he was pointed in the rightish direction. ^_^

• Like 2

Lost wax is pretty darned materials-intensive, given that one wax master is destroyed for every one metal statue cast.

I can't see it being used for a broad-ranging commercial product like Reaper's miniatures, even for limited editions.

• Like 6

Hrm.. I think we Need to make a video of Melissa operating Thomas and have a "How Plastic Miniatures are Made" to add to this.

TROOTH!

• Like 5

Hrm.. I think we Need to make a video of Melissa operating Thomas and have a "How Plastic Miniatures are Made" to add to this.

Wait, you're naming your plastic injection machines?

• Like 6

Wait, how did you NOT know this?  :huh:

Doesn't everyone name their machines??

• Like 10

Take a look at the picture of Thomas about halfway down this page.

If you know anything about kids' videos, the name becomes obvious.

• Like 7

Thomas the Death Engine.

I'm still mad that we've had him for over  year and never bothered to add Angry Face to the front.

That's your next painting project. DOOOOOO EEEEEEET!!  ^_^

• Like 8