I haven't had the time/weather to get paint on theses guys yet but as it was 30* last night I figured I would at least get a first coat on my Ritterlich aces. Not a good paint job by any means so let's see what everyone else has been doing. Also, don't cut the bases off before you paint, it really helps having them there to hold them without touching the CAV. Just fyi.

20150112_063740_zps0p7c72ly.jpg

Edited by yeahbowen
  • Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

There were a LOT of thin coats on these, hydrophobic too say the least. Haven't decided on my accent color yet, my wife suggested yellow or orange. I like the blue angels but I don't want to look like a late 80's muscle car. ;-)

Also the blue is "cobalt blue" from apple barrel. Yep, $.50 for 2oz.

• Like 1

I've washed with warm soapy water and dried all my CAVs but still having a helluva time getting my paints to stick and not bead up... very frustrating.   Do I need to get a paint with a particular set of skills to get it to what you have?

It's the Bones material...they're hydrophobic (aka they repel water), so you have to do your first coat a bit differently.  Some of the Reaper-made liners (especially the brown) make effectively a bulletproof coating that you can paint over top of normally, and once you've got a solid coat of anything down, it'll work like usual.

I don't remember which it is, but there's some formulation of primer / paint / etc that reacts with the plastic and never hardens.

• Like 1

Also the blue is "cobalt blue" from apple barrel. Yep, $.50 for 2oz.

I'm using their (or their competitor's "Holiday Green"... ok, so lots of thin layers is 'normal'... just stick (heh) with it?

I'm using the wet-pallette method that worked decently well for the D&D ravenloft boardgame...