So I have some minis that need cleaning. First couple I used the simple green straight from the bottle. The paint came off, but the simple green foamed really bad while scrubbing the minis. Even with a purple nitrile glove on my hand, my hands still smelled several days later.

Should I dilute the simple green? 50/50?

What do you do?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

Did you soak them for a while? I soak them for at least a day, then pull them out, rinse, and scrub with an old toothbrush. If there's a fair amount of stubborn paint/primer, I soak them some more and repeat the process. If it's just a little primer in the crevices, I'll scrape the worst of it out with a dental pick and not worry about the rest. I wear gloves for the remove, rinse, scrub process as I dislike the smell being left on my hands. I haven't noticed the smell penetrating the gloves. I suspect if you dilute the SG, it won't take the paint off as effectively.

• Like 4

I have had some objects that smelled like Simple Green long after I cleaned them. Like the inside of my Mustang the smell never came out of.

However, I've never had the scent remain on my hands for more than half a day. It should come off after you wash a couple times, 'cause... you know. Skin.

I have diluted the Simple Green a bit, on occasion. It really does affect the ability to get the paint off. Concentrated is better. If you do dilute, keep it more concentrated than 50/50. Make it more like 30/70.

Did you soak them for a while? I soak them for at least a day, then pull them out, rinse, and scrub with an old toothbrush. If there's a fair amount of stubborn paint/primer, I soak them some more and repeat the process. If it's just a little primer in the crevices, I'll scrape the worst of it out with a dental pick and not worry about the rest. I wear gloves for the remove, rinse, scrub process as I dislike the smell being left on my hands. I haven't noticed the smell penetrating the gloves. I suspect if you dilute the SG, it won't take the paint off as effectively.

Also, this. I also set aside a couple days to strip, and repeat the process as Wren has described. You may have to work less hard if you do this, and thus expose yourself less.

So I have some minis that need cleaning. First couple I used the simple green straight from the bottle. The paint came off, but the simple green foamed really bad while scrubbing the minis. Even with a purple nitrile glove on my hand, my hands still smelled several days later.

Should I dilute the simple green? 50/50?

What do you do?

I dilute about 1:1 with water, because: twice as much for the same price. I haven't noticed the smell after not much time at all.

I also use an ultrasonic cleaner these days, because it reduces the work significantly. (Soak for a day or so, then run the ultrasonic cleaner, rinse, and repeat as necessary.)

• Like 1

o_o I usually just soak for about 2 hours then scrub. I tend to get 98% of the paint off, the smell doesn't linger but I always scrub and clean the surroundings and wash my hands afterwards.

If I still have paint on them then I leave them to soak for another 2 hours and scrub again, whatever .5% or 1% left is picked away with a toothpick or a pointy thingy. 

• Like 2

I've used Simple Green on metal minis a few times, and I let the (metal) figures sit for about 24 hours before scrubbing.  While it did a great job removing the paint, I have no idea what the previous owner used as a primer, as that stuff refused to come off even with a chemical bath and vigorous scrubbing...   :wacko:

If you're stripping the paint off of plastic figures, I've read that you need to be careful on how long you leave them in.  I've never had an issue with the smell sticking around, though (and I'm pretty sure I just rinsed the figures in tap water and let them air dry).

• Artists

I forgot to mention that I reuse the SG. I keep a small plastic tub of it. Most of the paint sediment settles on the bottom. Eventually the colour of it fades, but it still seems to work after that.

• Like 4

I forgot to mention that I reuse the SG. I keep a small plastic tub of it. Most of the paint sediment settles on the bottom. Eventually the colour of it fades, but it still seems to work after that.

Same here. I use it until it turns black.

• Like 2

At first I thought you meant the paint fades. So SG loses its color through repeated use?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.