The Walking Dead Untold Animated Series

walkingdead23

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... ted-series

Hey there guys, my names James, and I have started up an animated series on kickstarter based on the famous comic book by Robert Kirkman and Game by Telltale games: The Walking Dead, We hope to get this project funded so that we can pay our modeller and compared to other kick-starters we are not asking for too much, we are currently 21% funded, if anyone wants to do some sort of deal like a share for share or something where we help each other out I'm fine with that, so check out our link above.

here is our youtube teaser trailer

The Walking Dead Untold is a fully animated fan production based in the universe of the famous comic book series: The Walking Dead. A team of talented editors, voice actors, writers and animators have come together from their joint love and passion for the series and have decided to collaborate and create their own story

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious, did you receive any kind of consent from TWD Productions or Robert Kirkman for this?  I would think that since you are using kickstarter and could potentially make any kind of money from this, that there would be some form of consent from them.

• Like 3

Heres the thing though. The Walking Dead is a massive trademark in which I don't even think you can use that title unless you have purchased rights to. Even Telltale Games had to purchase rights to create their game. I understand that this is also the work of fanfiction but at the same time, you advertise that what's happening in the video is a sample of your animators ability where there are obvious clips from the actual game art style in the video. Which I think is fine, I really liked that art style, but before you guys get slapped with a notice from the Devs from Telltale or AMC or Robert Kirkman, for your backers, you really should have this information there. 

We all love to support artists in all forms, but saying that you intend not to make money off of this, but to pay an animator, what happens if this funds over 10,000? What exclusive content or extra things would backers receive or work that you'll put into it so that you are actually not 'making money'?

Anywho, I don't mean to be the negative nancy but since you have openly posted this, then people that search for your kickstarter will also find these posts so your answers are incredibly valued. With all legitimacy granted, I hope that your kickstarter funds and the internet is introduced to more lovable characters like Clementine. 

• Like 1

We took into heavy consideration of getting videos taken down and studied this carefully, the truth is Skybound  and AMC dont't pay much attention to fan fics and when they do they actually like to share them instead of taking them down. And we are not paying anyone, the animators are all doing it for free. So we can guarantee we will not be making any sort of money off this. This isnt to be taken as some big tv show, just a fun animated series.

Our goal currently is 2000, the modeller wants 150 for each character model so even if we did reach that goal we will still be short, So if anyone will be paying its going to be us.

Edited by walkingdead23

Not paying anyone or making a profit is not a legal defense against the IP owner sending you a C&D or other form of litigation. Just the mere exchange of money risks the IP owner going after you.

FFP is lenient about fanmade material for its Shadows of Brimstone game, but as soon as someone started collecting money (and no profit) to print fanmade material, FFP sent them a letter telling them to stop this.

I'd recommend a less explicit way of raising the money, or finding a modeller who cares about the project as much as you do and won't charge a fee.

• Like 1

The concept is great.  However, I have to agree with the concerns that have been posted.

Being from Canada, I had to hire a lawyer that practices in the US to look into something similar.  What I found is that, regardless of whether you are initially drawing a profit, the person holding the copyright has to defend it.   Otherwise they risk losing the ability to defend against anyone in the future.

I would suggest that you get a letter of intent from the group that holds the copyright.  Otherwise, you run the risk of collecting money, part of which you never get due to the KS fees, and not delivering a product.

It could fly under the radar but why would you want to take the chance with either your time or other people's money.

If you had this cleared up, I'd be happy to contribute.

all the best with the project.

• Like 2

It turns out this kickstarter was cancelled by the projects creator a couple of weeks ago and that they have already launched a less ambitious kickstarter to take its place.

I'm not going to link to it here as this thread is being locked down, but if anyone is interested enough they can certainly start a new thread for the new KS.

Thread closed.

• Like 1