Yephima, cloud giant to water goddess!

Marineal

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't considered nit-picky or mean, but I think Jupiter was the Roman equivalent to Zeus being king of the gods and god of storms and the sky and stuff. As a water god/dess Neptune would be the one you want, AKA Poseidon and the trident symbol suggests that was your intention.

And since I wouldn't post just to criticise something as ultimately petty (on my part) as that...

She's beautiful. My 4 favourite parts are.

-the decoration; the trident and wave are great little hints at what her role in the pantheon is and are quite neatly done, as is the wave-like pattern on the front.

-the net, a great little base decoration which again tells you what the figure is, it doesn't necessarily tell a story as such, but it gives the piece context.

-the skirt, pretty simple really, I like the choice of colour and how its been applied. It somehow gives me the feel of a sea goddesses without being a blue or green, perhaps I'm reminded of the timbers of a ship or the simple leather armour of a seafaring warrior.

-and the eyes, I think they could be interpreted 2 ways, they have a lot of glisten to them, which may just be because she has bright eyes, but I also feel like it makes it look like she literally has stars in her eyes, like staring into the cosmic abyss. I don't know if that was intentional, but its a look that works well for a goddess.

• Like 1

I hope this isn't considered nit-picky or mean, but I think Jupiter was the Roman equivalent to Zeus being king of the gods and god of storms and the sky and stuff. As a water god/dess Neptune would be the one you want, AKA Poseidon and the trident symbol suggests that was your intention.

And since I wouldn't post just to criticise something as ultimately petty (on my part) as that...

She's beautiful. My 4 favourite parts are.

-the decoration; the trident and wave are great little hints at what her role in the pantheon is and are quite neatly done, as is the wave-like pattern on the front.

-the net, a great little base decoration which again tells you what the figure is, it doesn't necessarily tell a story as such, but it gives the piece context.

-the skirt, pretty simple really, I like the choice of colour and how its been applied. It somehow gives me the feel of a sea goddesses without being a blue or green, perhaps I'm reminded of the timbers of a ship or the simple leather armour of a seafaring warrior.

-and the eyes, I think they could be interpreted 2 ways, they have a lot of glisten to them, which may just be because she has bright eyes, but I also feel like it makes it look like she literally has stars in her eyes, like staring into the cosmic abyss. I don't know if that was intentional, but its a look that works well for a goddess.

You are absolutely right. I said Neptune all night until I posted this. D'oh!

And thank you! I really appreciate the in depth critique. :-)

Oh So Nicely Done.

Don't apologize about blue skin, this is YOUR Mini, do with it as you wish.

You do something different, all of us will applaud...as I do Now.

NICELY DONE.. and refreshing.

I like the subtle use of color on her shoulders, and the basing you did !

Terrific !

• Like 1

I have to admit that it's nice to see such a lovely lady painted in a color other than blue.  ^_^  The base is also very neat, I like the net so much I might have to steal that idea for something of mine some day. 

If Ub3rN3rd hasn't given you the sales pitch yet, mixing Brush-On Sealer into your flesh colors can help them not be too chalky.  I find it also helps a bit with the clumping tendency.  (Must be the pigment, even enamel flesh tones would get clumpy for me!)

• Like 1

Well, I have only received 2 shipments from reaper this week, may have to go for 3. That $35 to free shipping is just a challenge, isn't it?

Warning on the net, I ended up stretching it across an embroidery hoop to paint it, and that still didn't work well. May try to find green or brown fishnets.

Edited by Marineal