Help for a fantasy newb (Black Orc) updated w/ new pic

papabees

So I have recently become attracted by a Song of Blades and Heroes and decided to paint some fantasy Bones for the game. I really liked the Black Orc minis and thought they would play a good foil to my son and daughters warbands. That said, while I have painted battlemechs, tanks, and terrain for years, this is basically my 3rd fantasy mini ever so I thought I'd get some critiques. So let me hear your thoughts. I'm a big boy so don't worry about hurt feelings. I'm going for a little above average tabletop I guess. Additionally, I have no idea what color I should paint an orc's eyes so feel free to share.

Thanks.

post-394-0-09067000-1421243473_thumb.jpg

post-394-0-36063300-1421336283_thumb.jpg

Edited by papabees
  • Like 16

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it looks good.  If you want to do more: bring down the skin highlight slightly with a light glaze of your shadow color.  Drybrush a little rust or brown/bronze metallic on the armor. Orcs aren't usually known for their shiny armor.  :)

Oh, yellow eyes. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 3

I think it looks good.  If you want to do more: bring down the skin highlight slightly with a light glaze of your shadow color.  Drybrush a little rust or brown/bronze metallic on the armor. Orcs aren't usually known for their shiny armor.  :)

Oh, yellow eyes. 

OK. Help me out on the glaze. I used Reaper MSP Dark Elf Skin and then GW Badab Black wash, Dark Elf Highlight and then worked up to Dark Elf Highlight with a little white. What color would you suggest for a glaze and how do I mix it? Oh, and any examples of the rust technique?

Edited by papabees
  • Like 1

Excellent work here.

If you want nitpicky you might work on your transitions a bit, but a glaze will help that a lot, since it will bring everything "together."  The shading on the armor is really good. Most of my rust effects come in the form of burnt sienna ink thinned to various viscosity. I've also seen a really great tutorial where the painter used watercolor pigments for rust effects and it was mind blowingly awesome. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my to-do list. In my mind the most important thing is that you're getting the paint in the right places. Once you've gotten that down the rest is just fine tuning.

Plus one for yellow eyes btw. If you don't like yellow red, orange, or green are good too.

Cheers.

• Like 2

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56249-siris-guide-to-painting-rust/?hl=rust

Rust a tutorial by Siri.

Dark elf skin would be closest to your mid tone, so glaze with that.

He's looking so good.

That Rust tutorial is gold!

I think everything I was thinking has already been said - your transition, what Inarah said.

EDIT: THIS IS ALSO GOLD FOR WRAPPING YOUR MIND AROUND THE TRANSITIONS - It helped me a lot.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 1

Update. I have almost finished this guy. Needs a dullcote and I think that's it. Things I think I've learned:

1. Eyes are a pain in the backside. these turned out OK I guess but I felt like I was more lucky than anything else with where my green pupils ended up. I'm not sure how I will manage on figures with smaller faces. Need to find a good tutorial.

2. Glazes need some work. Not sure I had my recipe correct. I felt like it helped the skin transition some but not to the extent I was hoping for.

3. If I want something to look rusty I can use a lot more ink. I used an orangy burnt sienna on the armor to tone it down and you can barely make out the difference. When I was putting it on it felt just right but after drying, meh, not so much.

4. The camera is unkind. I felt like this looked pretty good from a tables eye view but when I look at the pics I find a great deal to be critical of.

Anyway, as before any thoughts or critiques are appreciated. I want to grow.

Thanks.

*I can't figure out how to add an image to this post so the updated pic should be above on the right.

Edited by papabees