tiniest rhombus

Tiniest paints a 14396 Goblin Mage riding a Cyclops with fancy base.

For my first ever WIP and my first ever entry in the Reaper yearly contest I thought I'd start with...

This guy

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/cyclops/sku-down/14396

He will be on...

This thing I made

post-13108-0-78299400-1421256058_thumb.jpg

I started making the base for the pathfinder red dragon who was going to be painted up as a swamp dragon. Well,that never happened. I've decided to use it for this guy and his goblin friend instead. I'm not quite finished with it. I still need to add more stuff, swamps are full of stuff. I'm also thinking it could use a tree with some vines behind were the figure will be standing.

So far, the mini is in several parts with most mold lines removed. No need for pics of that at this point. :-)

I'm sure I'll need lots of advice for this, thanks in advance! I've only put together one metal multi-part mini that I needed to fill in joints so I'm pretty new to that. In fact, I'm pretty new to basing as well.

Thanks for looking! As always comments amd criticisms welcome and encouraged.

• Like 18

Good looking base so far, I love scratch built bases as they add so much more life to a project. They tell help tell the story.

Did you prime/paint the cork on that base already or did you just go straight up cork?

• Like 1

Primed and painted. Not the best pic.I'll try to take a less washed out version later and after I add some tufts and such

Cool. Yeah, good pics on WIP aren't always worth it, but they can help us give better critiques/advice. 

Perhaps try to do some washes of greens to the cork to give it a more swampy feel/color? 

Also, if you want to do some different moss/lichen on this piece, you can use superglue with some blister pack foam, you'd dab some glue down and put some foam over it and then you'd just allow it to dry and rip it off leaving the little bit behind that the super glue held in place - prime/paint. Just for different textures.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

SCHWEET! I've been eyeing that master blaster mini for a while now. I'm glad someone is going to paint one.

• Like 2

How have I never seen that miniature before?! This is going to be awesome!

Sku down my friend sku down. Do much cool down there.

Crap now it has to be awesome? Uh oh.

Dave, buy eet

Uber, thanks for the tips

• Like 5

For being new to basing, you're off to one heck of a great start!! About the only thing I can think to possibly add would be some kind of small swamp dwelling critter, especially if you can sneak it in somewhere that isn't immediately obvious.

• Like 2

For being new to basing, you're off to one heck of a great start!! About the only thing I can think to possibly add would be some kind of small swamp dwelling critter, especially if you can sneak it in somewhere that isn't immediately obvious.

Yeah, something like frogs or snakes.

• Like 2

I found that mini in a discount bin in a game shop, something like ten years ago. 

LOVE the base!

• Like 2

Yeah, something like frogs or snakes.

Yes! Great idea. Ima do that. Thanks

I found that mini in a discount bin in a game shop, something like ten years ago. 

LOVE the base!

Thank you. I'm excited to work on it again

• Like 2

Worked on the base and getting the minis cleaned up today. First I took the long, arduous trek across my yard to the woods. Several minutes later, branches and bark in hand, I was ready to get started. My original intention was to use a hack saw to cut the piece of wood I wanted for the tree. It turns out my husbnd threw it away. Sigh. The piece of branch I wanted broke in two. Sigh. I fixed it with wood glue and a milliput bandaid. I then added some more grass tufts to the base for some more variety. I also, layed down some more branch and bark to start filling in some dead space. For now they are just dry fitted til I decide where I want them.

The tree will look something like this

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/nature-green-swamp-771805.jpg

Here is the base, tree, mini dry fitted togetherpost-13108-0-64296200-1421369661_thumb.jpg

And here is a better view of the base
post-13108-0-27206400-1421369762_thumb.jpg

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 16

Small update. Been working on the tree. It's painted, recieved the glue foam on, pull foam off moss treatment, then it recieved a wash of mossy green over the foam. I then put down some more glue,here and there and spinkled a mix of green flocks on top for some variation in texture. I am quite pleased with the results so far. Pics when the glue dries. This tree is sooo much fun! Oh and I added a few more types of tufts, another bit of log to the base. The goblin and cyclops are primed and waiting for paints.

• Like 3